Quantcast
Cocteau twins- heaven or lasvegas - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cocteau twins- heaven or lasvegas
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cocteau twins- heaven or lasvegas

I've always loved this band, and I stayed up late last night with a bottle of wine and listend to this maybe 3 times. Just joyous music, I have @ 7 or 8 of their albulms and this is my favorite. You know, when it comes down to it, it's all about how art makes you feel when you experience it,
and this music makes me feel good, like life is unbelievable sometimes
and not everything is meant to be understood....and that's o.k.
Mystery should remain mystery, rain should rain, death and life are just that. death and life
Anyhow, enough of the mushy stuff.
The production is just stellar, I love how you come to the music
and turn it up, never abbrasive or too midrangy, very enchanting stuff,those keyboards are perfect, love the dreamy verb on the guitars...
and the vocals, well if your reading this you already know.., Liz is one of a kind.
makes me want to be in a ancient forrest with a sharp knife, magic pouch of goodies and crystals, and a hot witch with a great ass on the back of a huge black horse...the smell of fungus......strange shadows...Hell, I might even paint my finger nails BLACK!! LOL.
Anyway, I love there music and just wanted to think out loud.
just when I think I've got the perfect Telecaster, 70's guitar tone down,
and am ready to make a better song than Steelydan ever will, I hang my head ..smile.. and reach for the old keyboard.
WILL I EVER MAKE A PROPER RECORD!!!?? CONCENTRATE!!
steelyfan
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I heard 'Cherry Coloured Funk' at a club the other night and thought "What a great record, I have to listen to it when I get home." Never did, but I will now. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hahaha, just seeing this thread makes me feel awesome. however, i wouldn't mind the hot witch, magic pouch and fungus smell!

seriously though, if there was ever a reunion to be had, it would be for this band.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I actually saw them on this tour in LA. It was Liz, Robin 3 extra Guitar Players, Bass player and an MPC. Still sounded amazing! This record is also my favorite from them. Very cool band...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!
One of the finest bands ever and scottish too.
Liz Fraser an amazing singer with wonderful melodic ideas and an inspiring idiosyncratic lyrical style. I love you liz. (Also heard with the massive, massive attack).

Blue Bell Knoll IS the one.
Tracks: Blue Bell Knoll, Carolyn's Fingers, Ella Megalast Burls Forever and and...well the whole thing is sublime.

Other faves...Pearly dew drops drops, Alice, Pink Orange Red, 50-50 Clown, ahhh so many.

Well..

Wishing you all (especially the scots here!) a very happy Burns Night this coming weekend!

slainte mhath!!!
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
very enchanting stuff,those keyboards are perfect, love the dreamy verb on the guitars...steelyfan
I love the Cocteaus too. But those aren't keyboards, Robin says that they are all guitars. He also says that he hates digital reverb on guitar.

Liz's vocals are definitely wonderful.

Here's a quote from Robin:
ok.. the pulsating stuff : was my green paul reed smith guitar (cause I did most of heaven or las vegas with it and my '59 jazzmaster) played through a gallien kruger preamp straight into the board.
this was then treated with a lexicon 480L (pitch shifted +10 cents and -10 cents to make it stereo) and delayed with a yamaha delay.
and the bass was a '57 precision played through a nomad bass box.....
sorry not to be more specific...
oh, and there are no synths....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutze ➑️
Blue Bell Knoll IS the one.
+1.

By far my favorite of theirs, although I did see the Heaven or Las Vegas tour in 1990, in Montreal in an old cathedral, mostly candlelit setting, it was sublime. Seeing Liz on stage last year at the Massive Attack show here in NY was also an unexpected treat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NO keyboards!! Man, those are some processed guitars . you know, I guess since this stuff came out in the 8o's I just assumed it was keys, I have a better understanding now of how awesome the soundcrafting of this group is!

My favorite track off of Heaven or Las vegas

" I wear your ring"
MAn, the intro is so suspenceful, and then it builds, and she comes in with that vocal melody, later accompanied by a ghost of harmonies.........
CHILLS every time i hear it.

also, I think it's own four-calendar caffe, the first track.
DAMMNNNN...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
That song really has a unique feel and emotion to it. I have it on itunes and play it from time to time...

I was never a fan of the Twins and that style of music, but I am a huge fan of that song. I could never understand the lyrics, but her voice and delivery is so beautiful it doesn't matter. When "Heaven or Las Vegas" came out it was played on a local college station when I was in high school. My buddy just got his license and we would drive around town and that song seemed to always be playing. Brings back great memories...heh
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
All great stuff, but here's a vote for Treasure being the best Cocteau Twins album.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian00 ➑️
I could never understand the lyrics, but her voice and delivery is so beautiful it doesn't matter.
No one can understand the lyrics, even they don't.
At the time rumors were flyin' that they were singing in Gaelic, the old Irish dialect.
Then in an interview the deal was sealed and the truth came out.
They sang in... jibberish.
Those beautiful vocal phrasings were saying absolutely nothing.

And that, to me, is genius.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krou ➑️
No one can understand the lyrics, even they don't.
At the time rumors were flyin' that they were singing in Gaelic, the old Irish dialect.
Then in an interview the deal was sealed and the truth came out.
Those beautiful vocal phrasings were saying absolutely nothing.

And that, to me, is genius.
The old Irish dialect? Well Gaelic, Irish or Scots, was and is still most definitely a complete language in its own right.

As for understanding it...
Well I'll just carry on my itchy globo flow with my spooning good singing gum like the great spangle maker I am.

Actually I quite miss spangles.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Sugar hicup you're down
Sugar hicuuuuuup
Sugar hicup on cheerios
Sugar hicuuuuuuu uuuu uuuuuuuuup"

Lots of good memories with the Cocteau Twins. Always loved the production. A great example of a band having a trademark sound.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Last week I came across a site (6lyrics I think) which has some of their lyrics on. Or rather, the best the transcribers could do! Loved them since the first album. They come from Grangemouth, a mostly rather grim refinery town on the Forth estuary not far from Edinburgh.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah for sure great stuff.

Did anyone ever catch the Twins version of "Frosty the Snowman"? Awesome.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Frosty is Top!
Another interesting oddity is their version of Strange Fruit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cocteau Twins = one of the most interesting musics of the 20th century.

The remasters are miserable, unfortunately. Go for the original CD's or vinyl.

These records deserve to be remastered properly.

The re-issues were a supervised-by-the-original-artist kinda thing and I think that Robin Guthrie either (a) has lost some hearing? or (b) wanted the records to be competitively loud and let this drive overtake the mission to simply restore the music and render it in higher-res than the original transfers.

I'm betting it was (b). This kind of thing happens when people try to apply 21st century loudness war aesthetics to music from the 1970s and '80s. Music that was generally recorded better than today's no-budget, self-taught-engineer norm. The resulting clash is... unattractive...

I kinda feel bad for criticizing the remasters 'cause I'm such a fan and consider the man a true genius, but I gotta call a spade a spade.

I wish someone would re-approach these records, but I don't see that happening...

And yes, Heaven Or Las Vegas is a lovely, brilliant record. It's funny; when it came out it was considered a "poppy sell out" record by diehard Cocteau fans. Listening to it now, it's hilarious to think people thought that way.

- c
t_d
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i would have thought it would be H3000 all over their productions.. i'm sure there is/was at some point.. perhaps not on the aforementioned album.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HELL, i DON'T KNOW HOW TO QUOTE!!
Bryan Talbot, that must of been cool, "so that's how they get that sound! Dammit!! "many years later!!

cubivore--- yea, it's a good feel, bring on the time warp! The pictures' been painted.

rob king-- it's a masterpiece. that performance sounds choice.

brutze- those are wonderful tracks.

silver sonya- beautfully spoken. +1 on your complete paragraph.

and to everyone that this brings back fond memories, I envy you.
awesome music!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️

The re-issues were a supervised-by-the-original-artist kinda thing and I think that Robin Guthrie either (a) has lost some hearing? or (b) wanted the records to be competitively loud and let this drive overtake the mission to simply restore the music and render it in higher-res than the original transfers.

I'm betting it was (b). This kind of thing happens when people try to apply 21st century loudness war aesthetics to music from the 1970s and '80s. Music that was generally recorded better than today's no-budget, self-taught-engineer norm. The resulting clash is... unattractive...

I kinda feel bad for criticizing the remasters 'cause I'm such a fan and consider the man a true genius, but I gotta call a spade a spade.

I wish someone would re-approach these records, but I don't see that happening...

And yes, Heaven Or Las Vegas is a lovely, brilliant record. It's funny; when it came out it was considered a "poppy sell out" record by diehard Cocteau fans. Listening to it now, it's hilarious to think people thought that way.

- c

I'm with you regarding the remasters, it's a shame it hasn't been done properly...
Also Robin in his blog said that he's not getting any money for it...And advised to download them!
Regarding the sell out thing around Heaven or Las Vegas...I mean (You might consider myself as a die-hard!) it's a great crossover album, pop but still strange and interesting, but it's true that what they have done prior to Blue Bell Knoll (which announced their poppier move) has an intensity and a beauty that they never regained later on even if there's still some good moments on the later albums...
I love the chilly intensity and anger of Garlands and the psychedelia and madness of their subsequent EPs and albums...But if I had to choose only 1 it might be Victorialand but then again, Tiny Dynamine/Echoes in a Shallow Bay, Treasure, The moon and the Melodies (with Harold Budd) etc.. Are all fantastic too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
4AD was such a great label back then. I think I bought almost everything they put out. The This Mortal Coil records are especially beautiful, "Blood" in particular. Ah, memories...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basho ➑️
4AD was such a great label back then. I think I bought almost everything they put out. The This Mortal Coil records are especially beautiful, "Blood" in particular. Ah, memories...

4AD is having a second wind lately...They put out some great records in the last few years IMO.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Those were the days!!! Small labels like 4AD, Factory, Creation focusing on great bands, great music, and great artwork. I loved walking into Middle Earth Records in Downey, Ca. and looking through the record bins for hours. Blue Bell Knoll is still my favorite CT record.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a commercially released version of Blue Bell Knoll...on DAT! I've never seen another commercially released DAT other than this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️

- c
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo1234 ➑️
I have a commercially released version of Blue Bell Knoll...on DAT! I've never seen another commercially released DAT other than this one.
I know there was one by the Durutti Column, I remember even seeing a copy for sale once! If there was ever a DAT worth buying it would have been that one.

edit: The Factory Records discography indicates they put out no less than 16 DAT releases! I wonder how many they sold...

Last edited by electricsound; 23rd January 2009 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: clarification
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LURVE the Cocteaus. Any love for Aikea Guinea? Song to the Siren?

I posted about Robin's guitar processing here at GS a few years back. Someone posted some info gleaned from a Guitar Player interview.....
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here we are.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tubthumper..... thanks for posting that, just got through reading all of it, very cool stuff. Got me thinking about writting some stuff this weekend, like connecting every pedal I own together and running direct into the board, and just play long,slow chords...and filter!!
Love the Cocteaus.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krou ➑️
Its called scat man, scat. Or non-lexical vocables.
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basho ➑️
Same here, 4AD was a major part of the 80's early 90's for me, was big into DCD.
I second the vote for Victorialand, that record is so magical, like a dream space, lots of love making was done to that soundtrack....
πŸ“ Reply