Quantcast
Cocteau twins- heaven or lasvegas - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cocteau twins- heaven or lasvegas
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cocteau Twins are my favorite band .....I listen to the albums over and over again ......'Milk and kisses' is my favourite .....the drum machine programming is exquisite ! and I just love the overall sound of this album ! It will be my inspiration forever ....... 'Blue bell knoll' and 'Four calender Cafe' also stick out for me .....
nice to know others here on Gearslutz appreciate them as much as I do....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry to go off-topic, but do you know which Factory titles were released on DAT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsound ➑️
I know there was one by the Durutti Column, I remember even seeing a copy for sale once! If there was ever a DAT worth buying it would have been that one.

edit: The Factory Records discography indicates they put out no less than 16 DAT releases! I wonder how many they sold...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I saw them in 1990 at the Paramount Theater in Denver. Interestingly enough, Galaxie 500 opened for them that night. I had never heard of them before but went out and bought "On Fire" the next day.

While I was a pretty big CT fan, I wasn't all that moved by the show, IIRC. Whether it was sound or stage presence, can't say, just don't remember having enjoyed their performance all that much...

On another note, "Lorelei" is the song my wife chose to play as she walked down the aisle. You could say we had a non-traditional wedding

So, if for no other reason than that, Treasure is still my favorite CT record.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdub123 ➑️
I saw them in 1990 at the Paramount Theater in Denver. Interestingly enough, Galaxie 500 opened for them that night. I had never heard of them before but went out and bought "On Fire" the next day.

While I was a pretty big CT fan, I wasn't all that moved by the show, IIRC. Whether it was sound or stage presence, can't say, just don't remember having enjoyed their performance all that much...

On another note, "Lorelei" is the song my wife chose to play as she walked down the aisle. You could say we had a non-traditional wedding

So, if for no other reason than that, Treasure is still my favorite CT record.

I saw them in 1990 too, CT became better and better live later on when they started to use a drummer IMO I saw them in 92-93 for the Heaven or Lasvegas tour , Four calendar Cafe (with drummer and percusionist) and on their last tour (with Mark Clifford (Seefeel)) as well for a special radio show (Black Session) where they had a more minimalist setup...2 guitars, drums and Simon playing bass and Fender Rhodes...Brillant.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
My absolute favourite band! Been into 'em since '84.
I manged to have a quick chat with Robin after his Luminaire show at Cambridge a few years ago and gave me a few pointers on how he uses delay (right on the beat and turned way up). He was using a lovely, green Schecter Jazzmaster copy and a Floor POD, amongst other things.
Keys have been used on some of the records. Certainly a DX-7, some Mellotron. On the later stuff the resonator from the (IIRC) PCM 70 was used frequently.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo1234 ➑️
Sorry to go off-topic, but do you know which Factory titles were released on DAT??
indeed i do!

FACT 204 DURUTTI COLUMN: The Guitar and Other Machines Dec 87
FACT 220 HAPPY MONDAYS: Bummed Nov 88
FACT 226 KREISLER STRING ORCHESTRA: Kreisler String Orchestra Sep 89
FACT 236 ROBIN WILLIAMS: Oboe and Piano Sep 89
FACT 244 DURUTTI COLUMN: Vini Reilly Mar 89
FACT 246 DUKE STRING QUARTET: Duke String Quartet Sep 89
FACT 250 JOY DIVISION: Substance 1977-1980 Jun 88
FACT 256 ROLF HIND: Rolf Hind Sep 89
FACT 266 STEVE MARTLAND: Steve Martland Sep 89
FACT 274 DURUTTI COLUMN: Obey The Time Dec 90
FACT 275 NEW ORDER: Technique Jan 89
FACT 316 I FAGIOLINI: The Art of Monteverdi Jan 91
FACT 326 ROLF HIND: Country Music Jan 91
FACT 336 RED BYRD: Songs of Love and Death Jan 91
FACT 346 GRAHAM FITKIN: Flak Jan 91
FACT 356 ERIK SATIE: Socrate Jan 91

apparently the first durutti album in the list was the first commercially released DAT album..
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Moon and the Melodies is my favourite album.

Favourite ever track is Crushed from the Lonely is an Eyesore compilation, first track of their's I ever heard and still my favourite.

It was incredible live too..

Liz fraser...got to be the most underrated vocalist of all time..she should be a huge name in the mainstream. Technically incredible, melodies, soul...everything.
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A bit off thread, but ... if you like the Cocteau Twins, you may well like School of Seven Bells. MySpace etc ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+ 1 on everything.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+2 on everything..

first trick i learnt... "use the presets in pcm70.. not becuase you are lazy but more about that everyone goes out of their way to avoid presets.." they are presets for a reason and perhaps the CT's illustrate this point to a certain degree... i mean who cant go past 'room' or 'plate' setting on a pcm 70?.. timeless in these days i think!

As you wereheh
Wiggy
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 on Heaven and Las Vegas.

Liz Fraser is one of my favorite singers of all time. Her vocal on This Mortal Coil's version of Roy Harpers "Another Day" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
Lives for gear
I am glad to see the love for the Cocteau Twins!
I also love Blue Bell Knoll.
I saw them in St. Pete Florida for four songs (Liz Frazier was sick).
Robyn Guthrie is one of my favorite guitar heros!
If you like the Cocteau Twins you should check out the band Lush, which Robyn Guthrie produced. The record Gala is a hall of famer!

Rock on
Noelsy
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yup, it is--I learnt it (live in the Outer Hebrides). I also thought Liz was singing in Gaelic when I first heard the Twins. I saw them in 1991 or 92 I think in Baltimore. Guthrie and two extra guitarists and the bassist. It was absolutely sublime. I had the total hots for her just on account of her voice. I sat outside by their limo after the gig with my brother. They were probably all jacked up on horse or something, cause I got hugs from all of them and very lovey autographs. Still ranks as the best concert I've ever been at--except for perhaps Peter Gabriel's So tour gig at Merriweather....

When I was at Berklee C of M I transcribed all of Carolyn's Fingers for my arranging class. Blue Bell Knoll is one of my favourite albums ever. I can play the whole thing in my head straight through even though I haven't listened to it for a year or so.

Here's to the Cocteau Twins!! One fragile, crazy, beautiful fecked up band.

Oh--and somebody mentioned the quality of the drum programming. Actually programmed pretty much the way you would play the drums (I'm a drummer and it was one of the things that I immediately liked about them.) Who did the programming anyway? Was it Guthrie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutze ➑️
The old Irish dialect? Well Gaelic, Irish or Scots, was and is still most definitely a complete language in its own right.

As for understanding it...
Well I'll just carry on my itchy globo flow with my spooning good singing gum like the great spangle maker I am.

Actually I quite miss spangles.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Treasure, for sure. My way in on Cocteau. One of the most apart (in a really nice way) music I've heard back then.

The nice version of Jesus and the Mary chain.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish ➑️
Yup, it is--I learnt it (live in the Outer Hebrides). I also thought Liz was singing in Gaelic when I first heard the Twins. I saw them in 1991 or 92 I think in Baltimore. Guthrie and two extra guitarists and the bassist. It was absolutely sublime. I had the total hots for her just on account of her voice. I sat outside by their limo after the gig with my brother. They were probably all jacked up on horse or something, cause I got hugs from all of them and very lovey autographs. Still ranks as the best concert I've ever been at--except for perhaps Peter Gabriel's So tour gig at Merriweather....

When I was at Berklee C of M I transcribed all of Carolyn's Fingers for my arranging class. Blue Bell Knoll is one of my favourite albums ever. I can play the whole thing in my head straight through even though I haven't listened to it for a year or so.

Here's to the Cocteau Twins!! One fragile, crazy, beautiful fecked up band.

Oh--and somebody mentioned the quality of the drum programming. Actually programmed pretty much the way you would play the drums (I'm a drummer and it was one of the things that I immediately liked about them.) Who did the programming anyway? Was it Guthrie?

I'm certain it was. I read an interview recently where he mentioned he enjoys drumming, so I guess than answers your question!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I saw them supporting Killing Joke. They were awful. They got a lot better.
Old 7th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not sure of the year...1982? Garlands album...I remember Killing Joke were the most powerful and frightening band I'd ever seen. Truly crazy.
Old 8th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➑️
A bit off thread, but ... if you like the Cocteau Twins, you may well like School of Seven Bells. MySpace etc ...
the newest record by Asobi Seksu has lots of Cocteau-esque moments too
Old 7th February 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
If the function of a truly great record is to make you feel something familiar yet be utterly new, this record is, and was, it. As steeped in production of the moment as it is, it treads the boards that few records do, which is to be truly unique and emotively connecting from the ground up. I love it when an artist successfully creates a believable, very "other" world.
Old 7th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Been listening to the Cocteau's quite a bit lately. Robin was supposedly producing some friend's band from Williamsburg - reminds me to see whatever happened to that.
Old 10th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve ➑️
Cocteau Twins are my favorite band .....I listen to the albums over and over again ......'Milk and kisses' is my favourite .....the drum machine programming is exquisite ! and I just love the overall sound of this album ! It will be my inspiration forever ....... 'Blue bell knoll' and 'Four calender Cafe' also stick out for me .....
nice to know others here on Gearslutz appreciate them as much as I do....
my favorite by them as well, great songs and production. I have always dug the vocals and Robin Guthrie has one of the best clean tones out there. great stuff!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Talking of guitars that aren't synths this happens to be something I'm working on the moment. This is all one guitar and various verbs and echoes, ignore the piano splodge at the start, that's just for timing...

Don't need to dl it, should be player pop up on the link...

Short Minutes.mp3 - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour ➑️
4AD is having a second wind lately...They put out some great records in the last few years IMO.
Agreed. The new Deerhunter is fantabulous.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This song always did it for me. There's something so melancholy and, yet, so rapturous about it. "In the very temple of delight, veiled melancholy has her sovran shrine." Yeah, I know, I just broke out the Keats. Next I'll be asking for recommendations on monocles in the gear section . . .
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish ➑️
I saw them in 1991 or 92 I think in Baltimore.
Was that the show Velocity Girl opened for them?

Anyway, +1 for Heaven or Las Vegas. Love their other records, too, but none is as "synasthesial" as HoLV for me -- perhaps because the album art prepared me to think about the music in terms of colors before I'd even listened to it? Who cares, really... it's just a perfect, all-too-brief record.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the gold dust rush - my favorite.

Oh and - musette and drums.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love "Iceblink Luck" from "Heaven or Las Vegas." Saw them at the Wiltern in the early 90s. No synths, just heavily processed guitars.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Was FCC recorded with drum machines or session player? They sound fantastic.
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom ➑️
Was FCC recorded with drum machines or session player? They sound fantastic.
the album credits Benny Di Massa, veteran of another couple of 4AD bands

https://www.cocteautwins.com/html/th...r_members.html
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsound ➑️
the album credits Benny Di Massa, veteran of another couple of 4AD bands

https://www.cocteautwins.com/html/th...r_members.html
I also found a quote from Guthrie saying they used an MPC-60. I wonder if that meant he composed the drum parts for the drummer on it.
πŸ“ Reply