Quantcast
How about JBL LSR 6332? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How about JBL LSR 6332?
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How about JBL LSR 6332?

Is anyone using this pair of monitors? How are they? I'm tired of Genelec or Dynaudio. Any suggestions?
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the older sibling LSR32. I think they just added shielding to a LSR32 so they could be next to video moniters without causing the picture to distort from the speaker magnets and renamed it the 6332. Later the 6332 incorporated the EQ correction that most of their studio moniters have now. The LSR32 doesn't have the old boom and sizzle of the older 12" three ways, it's neutral and clean/detailed across soft to loud volumes. It's really more of a midfield speaker and having it too close you can tell you need to be back farther for the sound to develop. I would say six/seven feet from the face of the speaker to your ear is the bare minimum distance. It has a large sweetspot which means you don't have to keep your head in a small area before the sound changes. There are plenty of JBL threads and reviews you should check out but with moniters it's best to try them yourself.
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Forgot to say in the last post about the "sound" of the LSR32. When playing different CD's, you can really tell when something has been recorded crappy. The bad ones are not compensated for by the speaker, so the LSR32 and it's newer incarnation the 6332 are NOT going to make everything sound good. I think the neutal detail of the mids in the LSR32 allows you to hear that. A friend uses older Genlec's and while I love the sound of them, when a bad CD is played through them they tend to be alot more forgiving of it. Now the older JBL 12" 3 ways were extremely flattering and critisized because of it and that's why JBL went after Neutral in a big way with the LSR32's.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your reply, I tried to listen to an old JBL 4425 last month, and that made me shocked. So deep in the low range, but when I saw the specifications of the LSR 6332, the frequency response is just from 60hz to 22khz, well, with a 12" woofer, it can only get 60hz in low range, I feel a little bit dissapointed.

If I buy LSR 6332,what amplifier is good and enough for them?
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well, another question, an old 4430 or a new 6332, which is better?
Old 15th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of LSR6632 speakers, recently bought through ebay.

More recently I have been mixing through a pair of Dynaudio BM5a, but I have previously used Tannoy Super Reds, PMC's and others.

I haven't done any 'serious' mixing through them yet, but I can tell you how they compare to the JBL Century L100 and similar, upon which they are loosely based

The Century was pretty well known for having good low frequency response but also often critisized for having a harsh and confusing bump in the midrange response which could make accurate vocal mixes a chore. This is addressed with the 6332. Much as they are quoted as having a higher cutoff frequency the low end is very accurate and controlled in my opinion. Much attention has been paid to ensuring that stereo imaging is very good, even in small control environments.
I was very lucky to find them and I'm very pleased with them so far.
Sometimes you just turn a system on and you know that it is right. That is how I feel about these speakers.

Accurate transparent and revealing, but so they should be with a price tag of Β£2500 for a pair of passives.
Old 26th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghand ➑️
Thanks for your reply, I tried to listen to an old JBL 4425 last month, and that made me shocked. So deep in the low range, but when I saw the specifications of the LSR 6332, the frequency response is just from 60hz to 22khz, well, with a 12" woofer, it can only get 60hz in low range, I feel a little bit dissapointed.

If I buy LSR 6332,what amplifier is good and enough for them?
Yes , I have same question about amp, so anybody with that kind of experience/advice?
thanx
DR Z
Old 26th January 2010 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
I will echo everything bassmankr said about the lsr's. I use the 28p's, they are far and away my favorite monitor and I've used a crapload of monitors in my day.

They do need to be at least 6' away for the sound to become coherent, but I actually feel that way about most monitors in general. They have an *uncanny* ability to reveal the true personality of a production; is it bright? Harsh? Mellow? Woofy? Boxy? Digital? Crunchy?

Bass is tight, deep, and very honest, hf's are brutally truthful. Mids, though, I need a check, avantones or ns10's, to really know exactly what's going on there.

Best of all, they rock effortlessly at any volume. Client pleasers for sure, if you need that, but mixable all day long with zero fatigue.

An awesome choice. Me, I'd hunt for the older series (28p or 32p) because they're available at stupid cheap prices now, unlike the newer models which are... well, they're not cheap.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I need jbl 6332's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghand ➑️
Is anyone using this pair of monitors? How are they? I'm tired of Genelec or Dynaudio. Any suggestions?
I need 3 JBL 6332s for an audio post mix this week. JBL cannot supply them for a month! niether can rspe or sweetwater. Any thoughts? Old or new ok. call me, Strath, 310 458 7707
Old 5th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Jbl 6332

[QUOTE=Strath Hamilton;7001820] I need 3 JBL 6332s for an audio post mix this week. JBL cannot supply them for a month! niether can rspe or sweetwater. Any thoughts? Old or new ok. call me, Strath, 310 458 7707.
Old 5th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
I will echo everything bassmankr said about the lsr's. I use the 28p's, they are far and away my favorite monitor and I've used a crapload of monitors in my day.

They do need to be at least 6' away for the sound to become coherent, but I actually feel that way about most monitors in general. They have an *uncanny* ability to reveal the true personality of a production; is it bright? Harsh? Mellow? Woofy? Boxy? Digital? Crunchy?

Bass is tight, deep, and very honest, hf's are brutally truthful. Mids, though, I need a check, avantones or ns10's, to really know exactly what's going on there.

Best of all, they rock effortlessly at any volume. Client pleasers for sure, if you need that, but mixable all day long with zero fatigue.

An awesome choice. Me, I'd hunt for the older series (28p or 32p) because they're available at stupid cheap prices now, unlike the newer models which are... well, they're not cheap.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Good assessment, I love mine.
Old 18th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
6332 and Bryston

Old post, I know. We use a pair of 6332s, each with it's own Bryston 4B matched up with a 12P sub. Great combo, very revealing. Didn't care much for them until we tried with the Brystons - now they are favs for a few engineers. These speakers really don't like certain amps, so try different amps if you can before passing judgment on the 6332.
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️

Gregory Scott - ubk
I know, old post. Gregory, do u use a subwoofer w/ the 28p's or just by themselves?
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

I think using modern subs is a good idea to get more clubby vibe in monitoring. But really only the sub lows to reproduce.
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On a side note & lil off the subject, i've been really gung ho lately on getting a set of really good 3-way monitors for greater accuracy in mixing/mastering & the choices are vast to say the least. But today i was thinking: if u have a subwoofer & a set (hopefully of a really high-quality) of 2-way monitors, that's really a 3-way monitoring system which should realistically have good enough accuracy in mixing & mastering too, especially w/ a sub too. Only issue w/ 2-ways & a sub is that the lo, mid, & hi drivers are not all at similar height & getting to your ear at same time. I guess the 2-way route could be more economical but obviously & not necessarily better. But damn there are some really nice 2-ways out there also. Anyone want to think out loud w/ me on this one?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Come on people. Okay maybe that last post was lame.

Let's try this again. What type of monitoring system would you guys consider to have "enough" accuracy for mastering? Anyone perfectly confortable mastering strictly on a set of 2-way monitors? If so, what brand/model of monitors?
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

I personally think that 2 way monitor could be enough to master on. I know many would disagree but IMO most important are:

- flat respond/threated room >30-35m2
- enough power
- mid-range
- Minimum THD

many modern speakers sounds beautiful and transparent. But what you need is honesty. However honest monitors actually sounds dull and nasty and not nice at all. I had hi-end set-up of two ways and sub12.. and everyone was shocked by how great it sounds. But lot of mess with sub placement + corrections. Lot of non-real translation to real world. I switch to JBL 4425 and it took me a while to understand them.. but the result is obvious. I mean mixes/masters are harder to mix but result is much delicious.

Wow.. I fell in love with those.. . sometimes I hate them.. sometimes I love them. They don't lie to me and reproduce the way I know it would work. I do use EQ a bit to correct room.. but +- 2,3db works in my case.

Really nice and cheap full range set-up is Adam Sub12+2xSub8+2A3X.. used with distributor.. I really don't remember what I set back then.. it was an experiment. I measured room for setting up those speakers.. but I think it was something like this:

Sub 12 to cover 20-40hz range
Sub 8 to cover 44-80hz range dip in rooms
A3x set with 85hz low-cut to perform the best

It was a crazy and tricky set-up.. but S3Ax could not beat it no way. Just a mid-range was so articulate and real.. Experimenting with placement etc gave me benefits. However it was a messy trick and for little more money you can get hi-end speaker with no brainer precision.

Yes.. you can use three-four-five-six or 8 way speaker.. but I use two way and not much monitors can beat them. In fact.. not much people can beat those masters even with really nice monitors. I really think that best speakers are done already. And there is nothing new besides marketing.
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well said. Different things work for differnt people. JBL is so underrated. I have their LSR sub & it sounds great. Been checkn out their 3-ways & the new 2-ways i believe 4328s? Anyway JBL doesnt have as much marketing hype as others, yes? I've never been crazy about Adams but ur setup sounds interesting & more than adequate for sure.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
Old 17th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill ➑️
Come on people. Okay maybe that last post was lame.

Let's try this again. What type of monitoring system would you guys consider to have "enough" accuracy for mastering? Anyone perfectly confortable mastering strictly on a set of 2-way monitors? If so, what brand/model of monitors?
IMHO I think most precise monitors for master are ME Geithain 901k (from what I heard in one mastering studio) and models above them.

JBL 4425 is such a great friend to translate well to the real world.. but sometimes they makes you been bit confused or pissed off if the master is not well done. Simply I have a rush days with them sometimes.

Adams are really nice reference to the clients couch. Precise, deep, nice.. but I think sometimes you don't need it to sound nice.. you need it to sound ugly / or the way that would made you to mix or master bit better.

Mastering facility with custom room with low THD and powerful monitoring system brings you to the that level you don't need anything else.

But better monitors does not make your record sound better. Gear you use makes it sound great. Monitors are just a helping tool to make engineer decisions and form/shape to the song.
Old 6th December 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair JBL LSR6332 monitors.
I've owned all sorts of monitors ranging from the old Tannoy dual concentric to Quad ESL63 and Dynaudio BM5A. I still have a pair of these.

The 6332s are very neutral and accurate. I had them in a very large control room until earlier this year. They were perhaps 10m from the listening position.
Now I have a very much smaller room and they have to sit on stands which are right beside the desk, but they perform very well even in such a difficult situation.
According to JBL they are designed with difficult placement in mind. It certainly seems to be the case.

I power them with a re-capped Quad 520F amplifier.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict

14 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Not sure which of the many JBL monitor threads it's best to post this in. Just added a (used) 6312 to my old LSR32's (powered with a Crown K2), and I'm ecstatic! I've been using the LSR32's as my main monitors for 16 years, and have always thought (1) they're a little weak in the low bass, and (2) it seems nuts that a pair of 3-ways with 12" woofers should be weak in the low bass. But I finally bit the bullet and picked up a used 6312 on ebay, and it's just what the Dr. ordered. The LSR32's don't reach well into the bottom couple octaves, but with the 6312, I'm getting exactly the low end I need, and the calibration kit helped me kill a room node centered around 45hz. The LSR32's have such sweet mids and smooth highs, I've never seriously considered replacing them. Now I think I have smooth response from top to bottom. Mmmmm.
πŸ“ Reply