Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
u2 new single, what do you think?

Get on your boots...
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Even though I LOVE this band and the've been faves of mine since I was a little kid, the verses on the new single are painful. The rest of the song is cool in an off-beat sorta way. Really not the direction I was hoping they'd go in but oh well...
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hate it. Terrible melody, lyrics and not even a groove I can nod my head to. IMO. Will never voluntarily listen to it again.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think Bono was channeling Elvis Costello. Djs will have a heyday going back and forth between Boots and Pump it up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
they forgot how to write an interesting song with a melody in it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny, it IS a little Costello - but without the piss and vinegar that makes Costello so enjoyable.

If they want to stop just being a parody of themselves, they need to make an album that sounds like them playing music. Not an album that sounds like they sat there and tinkered around with ideas for 4 months.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
U2

...hey, I respect your opinions. Music is art and noone can tell you what sounds good. I really dug it. The Lo Fi vibe is cool. I like that it is a bit outside their typical formula...and I do hear a bit of piss and vinegar. Edge's guitar sounds kinda nasty at times...and Bono stays away from his "call to the heavens" power vocal and keeps it more intimate. I thought it sounded really fresh, too...not what I expected. I went...WHOA...this is U2? Cool...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Dunno, kind of uninspiring.
I loved them 1985, few songs later, but in general it's not stimulating, hate to say boring.
Bono is boring in general, too.
Time for retirement?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
every album U2 have released since POP has been pretty much the same - totally formulaic, bland and bollock-less... U2 by the numbers.

they were great, they really were.

but it's not about the music any more, nor having anything to say, to express artistically.

now it's just about product that will sell and make loadsa money. period.

and don't even get me started on bobo's pontificating bull****. he's such a jumped-up, arrogant, conceited, contrived hypocrite it makes me want to puke.

and hey, i live 5 minutes away from him (well, i used to, at my folks place, i'm a few miles away now, much nearer Dublin city centre).

shut up short arse!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Formulaic

Right...they are going through what all big bands goes through. You expect them to have the same bravado, angst, purity, etc. as when they were poor Dubliners with nothing in their pockets but a pick and an IOU to their parents? You hold them to a standard NOONE can attain. You want to tear them down. Name me a band that changed the world and then was still relevant 25 years later playing original music that met your lofty expectations. NAME ONE!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie ➑️
every album U2 have released since POP has been pretty much the same - totally formulaic, bland and bollock-less... U2 by the numbers.

they were great, they really were.

but it's not about the music any more, nor having anything to say, to express artistically.

now it's just about product that will sell and make loadsa money. period.

and don't even get me started on bobo's pontificating bull****. he's such a jumped-up, arrogant, conceited, contrived hypocrite it makes me want to puke.

and hey, i live 5 minutes away from him (well, i used to, at my folks place, i'm a few miles away now, much nearer Dublin city centre).

shut up short arse!
Perfectly stated. Is U2 DEAF?? Don't they still have true musician friends who are like" Man, don't you have enough money by now? Can't you afford
to start making cool music again, i mean, yea, every house wife loves ya'll , but
MUSIC COLLECTORS
think your a horses ass."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
pretty funny comments here *smile*

Personally, I wish their manager would say . . . . 'Bono, I think it's time you stop going to every grocery store opening / car dealership opening where there is a tv camera . . . or don't have a comment about every little thing, anywhere / anytime tv cameras are present . . . learn to say 'NO' when asked if you want to be on tv (I don't think he can) . . . and stop being so 'on' and soooooooooooo LA / Hollywood! Remember 'humility? Throw away your ridiculous yellow sunglasses, and simply go away for three years! Allow people to miss you. Woodshed and find out IF you still want to make music or just be a 'personality'. . . . . if you do, then write REAL music for a change . . . . but not as a side note to the Bono personality you have created. Stop taking yourself so serious!"

Is Hollywood Squares still on? I expect to see him in one of the boxes soon. *smile*
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know, I think the song's cool.

At least they are trying to make sense of rock'n roll today rather than just making retro music.

Boy (1980), Unforgettable fire(1984), Joshua Tree(1987), Achtung Baby(1991), All that you can't leave behind (2000) are all fantastic records.

The other albums, although less consistent, also have some pretty good songs between them.

I like the new song and I think it's looking good for the new album.

But I guess people who think they peaked in 1985 are not really going to get it...

Santiago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
pretty funny comments here *smile*

Personally, I wish their manager would say . . . . 'Bono, I think it's time you stop going to every grocery store opening / car dealership opening where there is a tv camera . . . or don't have a comment about every little thing, anywhere / anytime tv cameras are present . . . learn to say 'NO' when asked if you want to be on tv (I don't think he can) . . . and stop being so 'on' and soooooooooooo LA / Hollywood! Remember 'humility? Throw away your ridiculous yellow sunglasses, and simply go away for three years! Allow people to miss you. Woodshed and find out IF you still want to make music or just be a 'personality'. . . . . if you do, then write REAL music for a change . . . . but not as a side note to the Bono personality you have created. Stop taking yourself so serious!"

Is Hollywood Squares still on? I expect to see him in one of the boxes soon. *smile*
DEAD ON!
If I had Bono's home address, I would personally hand deliver your note.
Because somebody needs to tell him.
I'd also include a side note to The edge....."QUIT WEARING A HAT, GOING BALD IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!"
And also, a grown man wearing a black stocking hat is just stupid....
It's not that cold. And if you must, at least pick one with raindeer or something on it, at least that has some taste. JEEzzzz!!....
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
DEAD ON!
I'd also include a side note to The edge....."QUIT WEARING A HAT, GOING BALD IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!"
It's not that cold. And if you must, at least pick one with raindeer or something on it, at least that has some taste. JEEzzzz!!....
RIGHT. I am sure you are the george clooney of engineers, too...now guys are ripping on them for going bald...music is about espressing yourself. If he wants to wear a hat, what do you care? HE HAS WRITTEN SOME OF THE GREAT RIFFS OF ALL TIME...AND I LOVE HIS GUITAR TONE ON THE NEW TUNE...that is all i care about. YOU ARE RIPPING ON THEM FOR BEING VEIN...AND FULL OF THEMSELVES...AND YOU ARE JUDGING THEIR HAIRLINES AND SUNGLASSES.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
Dunno, kind of uninspiring.
I loved them 1985, few songs later, but in general it's not stimulating, hate to say boring.
Bono is boring in general, too.
Time for retirement?
Good point. When I saw them a couple years ago, they were totally going through the motions. I was up against the stage and yet it felt like I was watching them on TV. No real interraction.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG ➑️
RIGHT. I am sure you are the george clooney of engineers, too...now guys are ripping on them for going bald...music is about espressing yourself. If he wants to wear a hat, what do you care? HE HAS WRITTEN SOME OF THE GREAT RIFFS OF ALL TIME...AND I LOVE HIS GUITAR TONE ON THE NEW TUNE...that is all i care about. YOU ARE RIPPING ON THEM FOR BEING VEIN...AND FULL OF THEMSELVES...AND YOU ARE JUDGING THEIR HAIRLINES AND SUNGLASSES.
Your reading it wrong, I'm not ripping on the edges hair line, he probablly has more hair than me, I'm saying it's O.k. EDGE, you don't need to hide it, nobody cares, we dig your music, not your rock n roll locks..it's the equivalent of Elton John wearing a Tuppe( IS that how you spell it?) , everyone knows it's fake. I guess I'm expressing my disappointment with a a group of guys who used to mean something, and
now they're.... well doing what the poster who I quoted said.
I guess I am ripping on them for being vein (not bald, that was sorta of a joke), but when one of your heroes starts to care more about being
a superstar celebrity, and less about their art, to the point where an
average music listener goes, "man, what happened to those guys?"
I think somebody needs to say something.
Then again, I haven't bought a u2 albulm in 10 years, so I could care less,
If you dig their new stuff, cool, that's your taste and feelings about it, and you should enjoy it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
DEAD ON!
catch a flight to dublin, crash on my couch, jam with my band in the studio and i'll take you to bobo's house myself to deliver that note.

as a bonus it's in a really beautiful part of the country, the walk along his road is stunning, right along the coastline of the bay.... when it's not raining!

couple of great local pubs up in the village too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess I am ripping on them for being vein (not bald, that was sorta of a joke), but when one of your heroes starts to care more about being
a superstar celebrity, and less about their art, to the point where an
average music listener goes, "man, what happened to those guys?"
I think somebody needs to say something.
Give Edge a break! the poor guy just wears a hat. He has worn a hat since 1986 (before he was a star, really).

In terms of being a hollywood out of touch star, he's hardly Michael Jackson's is he?

I can get why Bono's personality annoys many people, but picking on reserved, quiet, guitar-playing and music-obsessed The Edge for wearing a hat is a bit excessive!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Why?

I am not much of a U2 fan, but I really don't care what Bono does or doesn't do with his time. He thinks he is out saving the world. So, let him think, why does this bother people so much?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's great that he does 'service work' to bring attention to issues, like hunger in Africa or injustice in Darfur. We should all find issues and work toward them to help others who are less fortunate . . . . . THAT is not what I am referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Why?

I am not much of a U2 fan, but I really don't care what Bono does or doesn't do with his time. He thinks he is out saving the world. So, let him think, why does this bother people so much?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think it's great that he does 'service work' to bring attention to issues, like hunger in Africa or injustice in Darfur. We should all find issues and work toward them to help others who are less fortunate . . . . . THAT is not what I am referring to.
What then, that he is a pompous ass? Ok, so? So is Paris Hilton, and she is a talentless hack. But I try not to get too worked up over it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that's cool . . . nor would I get too "worked up" over this . . especially since obviously my comments were 'semi' joking (grocery store openings / car dealership openings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
But I try not to get too worked up over it.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I listened Boy & War a lot in the 80s from C-cassettes, and the great live Under the Blood Red Sky was the first LP I bought. Saw them in Stockholm 1992, the Zoo TV tour.

So now it's 2009 (how the time flies..) and U2 comes up with a great new song. It's kinda Audioslave meets U2 -vibe, and the backing vocal harmonies are ... wow.

good stuff
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago ➑️
Give Edge a break! the poor guy just wears a hat. He has worn a hat since 1986 (before he was a star, really).

In terms of being a hollywood out of touch star, he's hardly Michael Jackson's is he?

I can get why Bono's personality annoys many people, but picking on reserved, quiet, guitar-playing and music-obsessed The Edge for wearing a hat is a bit excessive!
O.k O.K -- I love the Edge, he's really a great musician, I'm just messin around...I take back the hat quote, I guess It's hard to say something if someone else can't hear your tone of voice..... I'm just pickin.
I guess this isn't the forum to discuss fashion sense..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie ➑️
catch a flight to dublin, crash on my couch, jam with my band in the studio and i'll take you to bobo's house myself to deliver that note.

as a bonus it's in a really beautiful part of the country, the walk along his road is stunning, right along the coastline of the bay.... when it's not raining!

couple of great local pubs up in the village too.
Sounds like a blast! Guinness on me! Or New Belgium (love fat tire)
I'll play drums!
Ireland is beautiful, I went to Limerick and Gallway @ 8 or 9 years ago, saw the Cliffs of Moerr, all these huge farmlands with small little brick house on them, like 80 acres on land, and one small house way out in the distance. Just wonderful. I really hope one day I can go back, I didn't want to leave, spent some time in the all night discos and met some really cool people, went to a bunch of farmers markets, I have a picture of me pouring beer behind the counter for this husband and wife couple who owned this small pub, I was the only one there, and once the discovered I had a irish name and was from the states,... it was on! Lovely people.thumbsup
Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
O.k O.K -- I love the Edge, he's really a great musician, I'm just messin around...I take back the hat quote, I guess It's hard to say something if someone else can't hear your tone of voice..... I'm just pickin.
I guess this isn't the forum to discuss fashion sense..
No probs, your comments were clearly tongue in cheek and funny.

It just made me laugh to think of poor Edge reading this website and reading the attacks on his hat!

Santiago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like a lot of U2'S early stuff especially some of the mid career stuff like Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and maybe 4 songs off of Pop. I think when U2 are great they knock it out of the park into another state. Everything after those albums is frickin' terrible in my opinion. I no longer consider Bono a singer, I consider him a "talker" because he talks into the microphone with a higher inflection every once in a while like he accidentally sat on a pen and it went up his rear. As far as this new song goes, I think it is about uninspired as it gets.

I think a good producer/manager/label executive/crisis management team and outside writers along with ghost musicians are needed to work with this band. I think someone should say to Bono, "Paul, lets cut the crap and get to work. Stop this Bono celebrity thing. Please stop pretending to 'be for the poor' and anti capitalist while you charge $250 for a ticket and hide gazzilions in creative places. Stop your global warming schtick. The innaguration you were at was so cold Obama was breathing smoke because it was so frigid. Also, stop pretending to be a family man when you were just completely busted with two eighteen year old "ladies". Paul, I'm sorry to tell you that you can't fool all the people all the time and your fan base is no longer fooled by what you have been releasing. Take your hat and glasses off, get over this Bono thing and concentrate on writing one really good song like you did in the past. I have provided you with some selections of your previous work. If you find no inspiration and understanding from that, we will provide you with the necessary people to write a record for you."

Anyway, thats what I think and I'm sure no one cares especially Paul. He has way more money and private jets than I do and probably even has a few Neve 1073 modules or some **** like that which I don't have that either. However, I do have the UAD Quad with the Neve plugs and I'm happy with that. On a positive note, I've got a Big Ben and I dont think Paul has one of those so screw him on that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You know... at one time I was a big fan of U2. When they first hit back in the 80's, I thought their music had power and resonance... they had something to say, and they said it well.

Now I can't stand them... especially Bono (I think he's a pompous, pretentious flake). For me, their last meaningful musical statement was maybe Joshua Tree.. everything since has been boring, unimaginative, formulaic dreck.

I mean no disrespect to any fans... I am merely stating my oppinion.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think the song is just so crappy!
The only part it's ok is the vesre that sounds between Soup pf Dragnos and INXS...of course I can not deny that Bono "the King of manipulation" have a great voice so any shiit may sounds better, but still the song sucks so bad.

I am very tired of U2 and specially Bono and his Bull****.
U2 and more MR Bonny are just the equivalent of George Bush and Dick Cheney in Music, they are the Corporate POP....
Regadless, what a calculated song and is a salad of fried eggs and raw fish and nothing flows naturally.
Boring.
Actually this song could be very useful and helpful for insomnia.
πŸ“ Reply