Quantcast
u2 new single, what do you think? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
u2 new single, what do you think?
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon ➑️
I think the song is just so crappy!
The only part it's ok is the vesre that sounds between Soup pf Dragnos and INXS...of course I can not deny that Bono "the King of manipulation" have a great voice so any shiit may sounds better, but still the song sucks so bad.

I am very tired of U2 and specially Bono and his Bull****.
U2 and more MR Bonny are just the equivalent of George Bush and Dick Cheney in Music, they are the Corporate POP....
Regadless, what a calculated song and is a salad of fried eggs and raw fish and nothing flows naturally.
Boring.
Actually this song could be very useful and helpful for insomnia.
Umm...they created a genre....people copy THEM. They played at Obama's Concert...and they fight against injustice all over the world....so it isnt fair to lump them in with George Bush. Hey...you may not like their music and that is cool...but the ripping is just unbelievable. Hey...they have been relevant for 30 years...again...NAME ME ONE BAND that stayed relevant for 30 years? (sound of crickets chirping)

"But Bono is full of himself and the Edge wears a hat because he is bald...and they suck cuz they are corporate".
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
They've been around for 30 years , but that doesn't mean they're relevant.

Then again, housewives need something to listen to, so I guess they do serve a purpose.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
come on man . . . there are many artists that have been around longer then Bono who are not taking themselves so serious and being in on every photo op / tv op as he does. Consider Petty, Springsteen, Dylan, Mellencamp, Willie Nelson who all do service work and are musically relevant. There are MANY artists who are 'quiety' and anonymously doing service work with class and dignity, not with a photo corp behind them.

and musically speaking. . . even bands like Pink Floyd etc are musically relevant since before U2. Don't put the amount of years someone has been around per relevance . . as even Rush Limbaugh has been around since the 70s! Even Britney has been around a long time. *smile*

I like U2 btw . . . not much recently. I just feel he has turned into the exact thing he used to mock. The other guys in the band seem like musicians first . . . and isn't that the point? Just like Keith Richards . . I feel he is a musician who needs to play music, while Jagger does it for capitalist reasons (these days)
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
.NAME ME ONE BAND that stayed relevant for 30 years? (sound of crickets chirping)

Well AC/DC has been around since 74, their new album black ice has sold over 5 million copies, they have stayed true to their original selves, their world wide tour is sold out everywhere, i just saw them and they sound and look great playing live

they have sold over 200 million albums, and their back catalog is only out sold by the beatles

so, i guess there is a band that is not only still relevant 34 years later I guess one could say they are at the top still

that being said, I love U2, and I love Ireland, went there on my honey moon and had a great time in 02. also was there for work in 00, great people and places.

Saw U2 on their last tour and it was one of the best concerts I have seen, just not as loud as AC/DC and they don't have canons either. love canons
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
bogeyeater's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
well, they hated on bono for cosying up with george w bush but bush subsequently signed off on bono's cause celebre (african aids relief) to the tune of $15bn (Β£7.6bn)

that's a lot of beanz in anyone's money. hate him if you want but he's doing his bit to change the world


source: George Bush: a good man in Africa | World news | The Guardian
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon ➑️
George Bush and Dick Cheney in Music, they are the Corporate POP....
That may be true and now Obama has continued and even grown the same corporation. The American people need to wake up and realize that this **********/Democrat label is a a frickin' shell game and that we're living in an oligarchy.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
said it before and i shall say it again U2 is just a business no different than Mcdonals or any of that ****
and Bono is an egomanic..he tells everyone else to give money but i dont hear of the guy giving any money...
plus U2 dont pay any tax in Ireland cos they moved there business when the tax thing came for musicans...
So if thats not a business i dont know what is
theres so much stories i could say about them that are funny as **** but i wont
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
come on man . . . there are many artists that have been around longer then Bono who are not taking themselves so serious and being in on every photo op / tv op as he does. Consider Petty, Springsteen, Dylan, Mellencamp, Willie Nelson who all do service work and are musically relevant. There are MANY artists who are 'quiety' and anonymously doing service work with class and dignity, not with a photo corp behind them.

and musically speaking. . . even bands like Pink Floyd etc are musically relevant since before U2. Don't put the amount of years someone has been around per relevance . . as even Rush Limbaugh has been around since the 70s! Even Britney has been around a long time. *smile*

I like U2 btw . . . not much recently. I just feel he has turned into the exact thing he used to mock. The other guys in the band seem like musicians first . . . and isn't that the point? Just like Keith Richards . . I feel he is a musician who needs to play music, while Jagger does it for capitalist reasons (these days)
First off...I said BAND (you named only individual artists who have not really been tearing it up lately...being around doesnt mean relevant, either). You then mentioned Pink Floyd who hasnt made a recording in like, what...15 years? In addition, they are not even the original incarnation of the group. Someone else mentioned AC/DC...sure...so U2 is formulaic...yet AC/DC turns out the same album every 3 years and they are COOL. In addition, as an AC/DC fan...they haven't done anything even remotely close to their great work in YEARS...Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Walk On, etc. were all done in the last 5-10 years. They have made grounbreaking records in each of the last three decades...as a band. To me, whether you like their music or not...that earns my respect.

As for "quietly" doing charity work...the last time I checked, the way to gather support for something is TO BRING ATTENTION TO THE ISSUE...so he uses his celebrity to gain visibility for a cause...to meet with Presidents and try to affect change. Instead of complaining about it...he is doing something about it. ...and what do you do? Tear him down for it...and you are trying to assasinate HIS CHARACTER? What do you do for charity?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Addict
 
Sword in Hand's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sometimes I hate this forum. I'm totally with HeavyG here. U2 has certainly made and is still making relevant music. Just because some people don't like celebrity, and actually having a real personality, doesn't mean you should hate on the people who do.

And yes, U2 do run a business, just like every other smart musician, who wants to make a living, making art. U2 just does it on a bigger scale, so in return they make a lot more money. Which enables them to have a powerful, positive, presence in this world. Most artists are the worst business people I know. They think somehow selling something or making money off of an idea is terrible. Every single engineer here who makes money engineering should stop being a hypocrite.

U2 is the ONLY band who has, longer than any other band, consistently stayed relevant, has the same original members, still sells out stadiums, and still makes passionate, original music at regular intervals. None of the bands Knox named fit into this. People hate it when somebody succeeds, so well, and for so long. This just makes me sad.

All the haters, go back to your basement and listen to your records from the 70s, on your 20,000 dollar record player, through your 100,000 dollar speakers.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Okay...listening to the song, not U2 the franchise:

1.) The verse singing is far too "Pump It Up": as in Costello needs a writing credit.
2.) The guitar riff is killer, but they don't do anything to let it drive the song: it just doesn't rock...in fact, they intentionally throttle it.
3.) The intentionally junky drum fill and cymbal clash is cheesy
4.) The chorus isn't really a chorus...and how about incorporating the Sexy Boots into the rest of the song's imagery and story?
5.) The "let me in the sound" bridge is excellent
6.) The "You Don't Know How Beautiful You Are" section is good, and should be the key to the chorus, instead it leads to not much.

This could have been a really great song. But it's not.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I sent a PM to answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG ➑️
As for "quietly" doing charity work...the last time I checked, the way to gather support for something is TO BRING ATTENTION TO THE ISSUE...so he uses his celebrity to gain visibility for a cause...to meet with Presidents and try to affect change. Instead of complaining about it...he is doing something about it. ...and what do you do? Tear him down for it...and you are trying to assasinate HIS CHARACTER? What do you do for charity?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
actually Rock n roll Train is as good as anything they have done ever.

and i am a huge U2 fan also, more so ac/dc but they are actually 1 and 2 in my book, followed by REM

personally i don't really like the song, but i think they are one of the most influential bands we still have around, and as a guitar player i love the edge
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
79_Limited's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Too busy. That is what I hated about the last album. I wanted to say "Edge drop that stupid keyboard."

Keep it simple.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't think it's a particularly great song either. But of course we all know that the internet would be a wasteland if it wasn't for the people who haven't really ever achieved much taking the time to rip into the people who have :-) We gotta do something with that bandwidth. If I ever do a single song that I feel is as good as tens of U2 songs, I'll consider myself as having achieved something.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword in Hand ➑️
Sometimes I hate this forum. I'm totally with HeavyG here. U2 has certainly made and is still making relevant music. Just because some people don't like celebrity, and actually having a real personality, doesn't mean you should hate on the people who do.

And yes, U2 do run a business, just like every other smart musician, who wants to make a living, making art. U2 just does it on a bigger scale, so in return they make a lot more money. Which enables them to have a powerful, positive, presence in this world. Most artists are the worst business people I know. They think somehow selling something or making money off of an idea is terrible. Every single engineer here who makes money engineering should stop being a hypocrite.

U2 is the ONLY band who has, longer than any other band, consistently stayed relevant, has the same original members, still sells out stadiums, and still makes passionate, original music at regular intervals. None of the bands Knox named fit into this. People hate it when somebody succeeds, so well, and for so long. This just makes me sad.

All the haters, go back to your basement and listen to your records from the 70s, on your 20,000 dollar record player, through your 100,000 dollar speakers.
Exactly...my point is "Always love...hate will get you every time". The hating on this band that has done so much good is unbelievable...if they are such bad people create such awful music...I must be unworthy of LIFE. I wish I could make a song 1/100th as cool as "Where the streets have no name" or "Vertigo"...I wish I could create a guitar voice or vocal sound as identifiable as Edge or Bono...I wish I could remember the names of every person that perished in a horrible tragedy and recite them from memory in a concert for 20000 people during a song that commemorates them...and then do the SuperBowl after a nation's worst tragedy and somehow find a way to make them feel better. I could only hope to be so "bald", so "egomaniacal" and "corporate"...
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Man you DO go on!!! Now you bring up all U2 did for 9/11. (I don't even remember them doing anything actually, though I'm sure they did.) Remember, the Who gave an incredible concert for the NYC 9/11 tragedy and for all the fire fighters! There were MANY artists who did / do incredible things to help others. You also seem to forget, Springsteen did a lot to help after 9/11, Billy Joel etc etc . . . Not just U2. Don't make them into martyrs . . they are just musicians. I am a NYC guy who lost friends in 9/11, any help was appreciated. But don't forget all the people who do good work every day w/o the hoopla. Don't put people on a pedestal because they are 'stars'. I can turn you on to many people who do a lot to help others. Very simple people who did it / do it because it is the right thing to do. Not by giving a concert (that can help sell records btw) . . . . but digging in the muck or serving homeless people in soup lines. No less important.

For me, AGAIN . . in no way am I putting down the good work Bono did musically and in his altruistic work from the past . . . . some of us are talking about the extreme overexposure he seems to relish in where he obviously takes himself too serious these days and 'seems' to look at his music as secondary to that. I have even seen the other guys in the band talking about that in an interview, though 'semi' tongue in cheek, as many of us are doing here. The Unforgettable Fire etc had so much to 'say' from the heart . . . but since then, he has had MUCH less to 'say in music and seemingly more to 'say' in photos or anytime he can be on tv . . . and NOT always talking about causes btw, but seemingly about anything as long as he is on screen. btw . . I think he is most likely a good guy who has just been surrounded by too many 'yes' men for too many years. It happens.

btw . . I didn't get a PM message back from you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG ➑️
Exactly...my point is "Always love...hate will get you every time". The hating on this band that has done so much good is unbelievable...if they are such bad people create such awful music...I must be unworthy of LIFE. I wish I could make a song 1/100th as cool as "Where the streets have no name" or "Vertigo"...I wish I could create a guitar voice or vocal sound as identifiable as Edge or Bono...I wish I could remember the names of every person that perished in a horrible tragedy and recite them from memory in a concert for 20000 people during a song that commemorates them...and then do the SuperBowl after a nation's worst tragedy and somehow find a way to make them feel better. I could only hope to be so "bald", so "egomaniacal" and "corporate"...
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #47
FAT
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart ➑️
That may be true and now Obama has continued and even grown the same corporation. The American people need to wake up and realize that this **********/Democrat label is a a frickin' shell game and that we're living in an oligarchy.
Better than a Bonocracy. That song sucks. Bono is a dick. U2 have released some great work previously.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I still have not heard the song on the radio. But I am surprised that on gearslutz no one really talked about the mix, the engineering, the amount of reverb, compression, and mastering. So many of their later CD's were mixed too loud. No comment on that either?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
Man you DO go on!!! Now you bring up all U2 did for 9/11. (I don't even remember them doing anything actually, though I'm sure they did.) Remember, the Who gave an incredible concert for the NYC 9/11 tragedy and for all the fire fighters! There were MANY artists who did / do incredible things to help others. You also seem to forget, Springsteen did a lot to help after 9/11, Billy Joel etc etc . . . Not just U2. Don't make them into martyrs . . they are just musicians. I am a NYC guy who lost friends in 9/11, any help was appreciated. But don't forget all the people who do good work every day w/o the hoopla. Don't put people on a pedestal because they are 'stars'. I can turn you on to many people who do a lot to help others. Very simple people who did it / do it because it is the right thing to do. Not by giving a concert (that can help sell records btw) . . . . but digging in the muck or serving homeless people in soup lines. No less important.

For me, AGAIN . . in no way am I putting down the good work Bono did musically and in his altruistic work from the past . . . . some of us are talking about the extreme overexposure he seems to relish in where he obviously takes himself too serious these days and 'seems' to look at his music as secondary to that. I have even seen the other guys in the band talking about that in an interview, though 'semi' tongue in cheek, as many of us are doing here. The Unforgettable Fire etc had so much to 'say' from the heart . . . but since then, he has had MUCH less to 'say in music and seemingly more to 'say' in photos or anytime he can be on tv . . . and NOT always talking about causes btw, but seemingly about anything as long as he is on screen. btw . . I think he is most likely a good guy who has just been surrounded by too many 'yes' men for too many years. It happens.

btw . . I didn't get a PM message back from you.
You (and many others) obviously hate this band...and the people in it. Fine. The original poster asked about the single...and many responded by assasinating their character. I will stand by my assertion that you may not like the band or their music...but they do deserve a little respect for their accomplishments. In addition...I am not quite sure how you could say such disrespectful things and then act surprised if someone fires back. I think the single is fresh...and has some cool moments. I didnt like Vertigo the first time I heard it either...the sound and production is really cool. Electronica meshed with acoustic instruments...the guitar tone KILLS (in my opinion of course). Not a big fan of the drum kit tone...cuz it sounds like a loop on top of the acoustic kit. Overall...solid track. I thought "How to Dismantle" was one of their weaker albums...so I hope they surprise me...and so far, they have.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
shmoo2407's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years


I'm sorry, did a U2 song just play? Because I was lulled to sleep by snoozer of a song.

I love U2 but this was not their best. I'm holding out to hear the whole record, I think this band has some great songs still left in them. I think it's ok to let them falter, it doesn't mean it's the END of U2. The Edge is a magnificent guitar player, it could still be a good record. Hopefully...
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Santiago's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Daniel Lanois on the single (other parts of the interview say more about the album as a whole):

The Music Geek Blog - Explore Music
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 157 views: 28732
Avatar for AMIEL
AMIEL 26th October 2007
replies: 50 views: 8417
Avatar for McDingus
McDingus 14th October 2011
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump