The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Josephson C42 or C42H
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Josephson C42 or C42H

One of the areas I've scheduled for upgrade is small diaphragm cardioid condensers. (I've got a pair of Earthworks QTC's for omnis). Right now I have a pair of Oktava MC012's and a pair of AT4031's.

The Josephsons are intriguing because of the price and the enthusiastic endorsements from Fletcher and others. While I'd love Schoeps or DPA, these seem to fit more easily into my budget.

My question concerns which model will be more useful: the C42 or C42H. The "H" model is set up to handle higher SPL levels, which certainly seems useful. So why would one buy the C42 instead? Would it be better on really soft sources?

Assuming their primary use would be as drum overheads (not exactly a soft source, but not exactly close mic'ing either) is the "H" model the way to go?
Old 31st March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey LD,
I've got the C42's and they really shine (literally!) Check out that response curve at their site...

If you want Josephsons that compare with the DPA and Scheops mics I think you'll be more interested in the Series 6 mics.

I love my C42's, serious air, and (like my Valvet) not as flattering to the low end as I'd prefer. YMMV
📝 Reply