Quantcast
apogee 8000, useless? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
apogee 8000, useless?
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
apogee 8000, useless?

thinking about picking up an improvement over my current "lowly" ada...

notice that I could get an apogee 8000 used for $1500 or thereabouts...

trolling the forums, i note that one slut/gearpimp said it sounds like "crap..."

funny, it was good enough for bob power to record a bunch of nice records on...

(at least, that's what he's got listed on his website...)

now seriously, unless you're recording mccoy tyner for telarc, is the 8000 really useless compared to the;

lynx aurora
mytek
rosetta 800

????
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It really depends on how 'lowly' your DA is: I still have AD8000's that see regular use day in, day out, and I don't feel it's the weak(est) link in my chain.

Opinions are like bellybuttons: one thing for sure is there's going to be new AD/DA designs coming out every few months, and are you going to re-invest each and every time trying to seek the holy grail of converters? If you want to be current with technology, then you might want to invest in another design that has more recent (and better) AD chips, and has the option for higher SR's, as the AD8000 tops at 48k.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with mine, and tho I sometimes lust after new(er) AD's, I still find the AD8000 to be a good converter, and flexible with routing options, not to mention it doesn't sound all that bad...

my .02 cents

best in your search!
Old 17th June 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're still recording at 44/48 only, the AD8000 is a pretty great sounding converter IMHO; I had a pair of the SE versions and loved the sound with my old Pro Tools Mix system. Just because one dude slagged it shouldn't dissuade you from checking it out for yourself.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I recently wrote some songs for a record that Neil Dorfsman produced. As you may or may not know, Neil produced Dire Straits, Paul Mc Cartney, Bruce Springsteen, and Sting to name a few. Personally, I think Neil is one of the best engineers on the planet and his rig sports 3 AD 8000SE's. His records sound absolutely AMAZING. Hope that helps in your decision.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
i like the sound of the 8000s, if your still at 44 or 48, the bang for buck ratio is good.
member no 666

🎧 15 years
If you strap a "Big Ben" to the AD-8000 you have a pretty damn good sounding, versatile unit that can keep pace with much modern hardware.
Old 18th June 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still have an original AD-8000 that sees service daily. It still sounds great, if not as clear or bright as my HD 192. Anybody know if an SE mod is available, or even desireable?

The only annoying thing about it, which may have been fixed, is the reluctance of the D/A to play nicely with unbalanced destinations.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would probably choose the Aurora simply because i'm often found in 96khz land which isnt offered with the 8000... just something to consider... 8000 + Big Ben might indeed be something to check out...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think the AD8000 SE sounds phenomenal.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
so how much better is the Rosetta 200/800 than the older Apogee offerings like the 8000 and the PSX?

What types and how much would a "better than apogee" converter be?

Thx!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also wonder which one sounds better... AD-8000 or Rosetta 800 (from everything I've heard people saying so far, my guess goes for the AD-8000, which is not to say that the Rosetta 800 is not good).
It would be nice if any slut who did a side by side comparison leaves a post...
Old 19th June 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan
I also wonder which one sounds better... AD-8000 or Rosetta 800 (from everything I've heard people saying so far, my guess goes for the AD-8000, which is not to say that the Rosetta 800 is not good).
It would be nice if any slut who did a side by side comparison leaves a post...

Actually everything I`ve read around here says exactly the opposite.
The Rosetta 800 is better than the AD8000 and the AD/DA 16x better than the ROsetta 800.

Apogee has a weird way of upgrading there stuff. The 800 was $2500 for 8 channels of AD/DA while the AD 8000 from what I remember was about $5000 for just the AD.

The weird thing is these were selling at the same time and the inferior AD product was far more expensive than the newer, better, cheaper one.

I used to own a PSX100 and I thought it was pretty good. I`m pretty sure the AD is the same as the 8000. Theres better stuff out there now but I can`t see you being offended by the sound to the point where you couldn`t live with it and couldn`t record great music with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of 8000SE's that serve me well on a regular basis.
In 'conveter world' there will always be a myriad of agenda driven opinions.
My opinion is one of those. The 8000 offers great flexibility along with features that I miss on newer converters. At the very least, they can be a life saver when needing to record 24-48 tracks, the 48hz sample rate is not a huge roadblock.
Most clients appear to want a 44/24 sampleing rate. The matrix is great and when re locked to a newer clock, the 8000 can hold it's own.
Aux inputs during mix, extra inputs during trackng.
Of course, as in any purchase , use your gut and your ears.
good luck,
chap
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
If you strap a "Big Ben" to the AD-8000 you have a pretty damn good sounding, versatile unit that can keep pace with much modern hardware.
Word!!!
Also, thanks to Soultrane for the props, but (in my better moments) I know that what makes a great sounding record is a great performance of a great song on a great sounding instrument. All hail to real artists (and session players, and studios, and gear designers, and engineers.....).

Bob P.

With all the hoopla about sound, it still boils down to a compelling performance of a good song. James Taylor could make a great record on an answering machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, as long as that answering machine had a good clock!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo
Yeah, as long as that answering machine had a good clock!
Mine's "flashing 12". Is that good?

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmix
Word!!!
James Taylor could make a great record on an answering machine.
c''mon bob... u know if i get that 8000 i'll sound like u and be able to pull much higher grade chix...

2 more questions... is there more than one model of the 8000, and what are the differences?

and, has anyone compared the lynx aurora to the 8000 at 44.1?
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
thinking about picking up an improvement over my current "lowly" ada...

notice that I could get an apogee 8000 used for $1500 or thereabouts...

trolling the forums, i note that one slut/gearpimp said it sounds like "crap..."

funny, it was good enough for bob power to record a bunch of nice records on...

(at least, that's what he's got listed on his website...)

now seriously, unless you're recording mccoy tyner for telarc, is the 8000 really useless compared to the;

lynx aurora
mytek
rosetta 800

????
It's like politics. Most people don't have a ****ing clue but they feel obliged to have an opinion on everything.

I guarantee you that Apogee converters are widely respected in their price range.

Remember when you read some jagoff in a BB (especially when the jagoff is me heh ) -- he's just some jagoff in a BB.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know about the other gear you mentioned, but I upgraded one of my 888/24's to an Apogee 8000SE and was blown away! (Never thought I would be able to hear a difference of a converter!)
Low and behold....I can
Old 20th June 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
c''mon bob... u know if i get that 8000 i'll sound like u and be able to pull much higher grade chix...

2 more questions... is there more than one model of the 8000, and what are the differences?

and, has anyone compared the lynx aurora to the 8000 at 44.1?
Its the hair man, its the hair!
OR
What the f--- you doin' on a poultry farm!

Seriously now, the SE versions of the AD8000 are more open on top, seem faster (for transients) also. It was absolutely a step up when I went to the SE (special edition) version.

Overall, the 8000's (to me) are a bit warm-ish - smoother than some others. Reminded me (a teeny bit) of tape when I first started using them. I have also owned Mytec converters - Mihail makes some very high quality/value pieces. As others have said, the "Sounds like dogmeat" school is a bit overstated. There are more than a few quality options out there - just different flavors.

b

p.s. Over time, I've found that the folks at Apogee are really helpful.
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
I think the AD8000 SE sounds phenomenal.
Compared to what?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Compared to what?
As performed by Les McAnn and Eddie Harris?
I used to love that song. Thanks for shaking up a few loose molecules
and hitting some hidden brain cells.

The GR EQ is a badass!

missed you at the show but you got my dough.
Dan knows his stuff.
cheers,
chap
πŸ“ Reply