Monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors
Old 30th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Monitors

Hi all,
i'm sure people have addressed this topic before, but i'm currently shopping for a set of monitors and my price range is probably a little higher than what behringer truths, tannoy reveals, yamaha MSp5's go for. i'm looking mostly at the Aelsis M1 Actives, are these powered? i would prefer powred.

as i continue to look at monitor speakers i notices theres a big jump in price between say the Alesis Mk2's and the mackie hr824's. is there a big jump in quality to?are there any other "good" monitors i should check out?

keeping in mind this is my 1st set of monitors so i dont really have much to go from experiance wise,

any info, ideas, theroys etc would be apreciated

cheers!
Old 30th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i'm looking mostly at the Aelsis M1 Actives, are these powered? i would prefer powred.

Active = powered.
Passive = not powered.

Here's an enjoyable shootout of popular monitors...lots of good info, and prices:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256AE100044F41
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Alesis has had a few variations on their M1 model. The latest one is the M1mk2, which is actually an incredible monitor for the money, imo.
Bare in mind that the room you'll be mixing in is as important than the monitors themselves and will greatly affect your perception of a mix. I have a very tempermental room when it comes to acoustics, something I will address in the future but I can tell you that having owned Mackie HR824's in this particular room was a bad combination. Great speakers, but not for my setup.

They were too big to start, the bass response was good for playback but my mixes translated very poorly on other systems. I ended up selling the Mackies and getting the Alesis mk2 Actives and not a moment's regret. The're certainly not as clear and detailed as the Mackies were, but after a few months of adjustment, I'm now loving these monitors.

Good luck.
Old 31st March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
THanks boys for the responces sp far. i had a feelign that actives ment powered. and i'm slowly leaning towards the mk2's,

i had a quick look at that link you posted and it the aelsis where absent from it, i'll give it a good read.

thanks for your ideas so far
Old 31st March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
The only way to pick monitors is to go out and listen to them. What works for me might not work for you. It's one thing to ask opinions on them but you still need to listen for yourself. I don't think anything really sucks except NS-10's. In most cases it's whatever you get used to.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It really helps if you can test drive them in your own room, too.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's another vote for the Alesis monitors... they won't 'impress' you along the line of for instance the Behringer Truth monitors (funny name for those btw) but they actually sound really nice and un-hyped... AND: they're remarkably cheap.
Old 31st March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
prebden,

thanks for your input. do you ise a sub woofer to mix to? i've heard the mk2 actives can be "fake" on the low end
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well, I don't actually use the M2A's anymore, but I did for quite a while (and also the old Mk1) and whilst I didn't use them with a sub I could see the need for one, especially if you want to work at loud spl's.. On the other hand - and no doubt that is down to my lack of experience and skills - I have never really managed to make sub+satellites work for me. A lot of people get great results with subs but unfortunately I'm not one of them.

If I were you I would try and see how it works without a sub and then when you know the speakers a bit better and have a bit of an idea of how your mixes translate from them try to borrow a sub and see if it does do anything for you.

And I still feel that while the M2A's won't give you the lowest of lows or the highest of highs they are fairly accurate in the midrange area, which is not a bad starting point.
Old 31st March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
preben,
thanks again, you make a good piont with what you said about the midrange of these speakers. these monitors i buy, whatever they maybe they are my 1st so i dont have much to compare it to. i have a set of hi-fi speaker, pc speakers, and a set of t40 fostex headphones that might just help me with those low end freqs.

i know i dont want "truths", the rolands, tannoy reveals or dynaudio, and i dont has the cash for the mackies so the m2a's seems the logical chioce
Old 1st April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Just of out curiousity, why don't you want the Reveals or Dynaudios? Those are probably my first picks in the under $1K range. The Monitor 1's (passive) that I used to own actually translated pretty well even though the low end was really screwed up.
Old 1st April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
dude,
why not tannoys? well curiously enough i have just spent a day on the studio with a set of tannoys, and i was very impressed. i really enjoyed listenign to them, they had a set of KRK v6 there to, they were god awful.

but the tannoys have won me over!
Old 2nd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I haven't liked much of the KRK stuff that I've listened to. It's usually too bright and thin for my tastes.
Old 2nd April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
jay
exactly my thoughts to. far to bright. i'm going to a few stores in the next couple of days, i'll listen to the tannoys, truths, the mk2's if they have them, and the passives to.
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do love my mk2's, but if I was in the market right now, I'd take a close look at the new Event TR-8's, I hear nothing but good things. For the sub-$1k budget, I'd go with the Mackie HR624's, which to me sound much better than their bigger sibling. As for Behringer, I gave them a chance with a budget mixer I bought last year (MX2004), now 3 of the faders aren't working. It's conclusive evidence that they just manufacture utter crap. If you do go with the Truths, just an FYI, a lot of people have complained of loose screws inside the cabinets, just so you know...

Good luck in your search!
Old 2nd April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
krou.

thanks for your input, as i learn more and more i'm finding that the truths are utter crap, they say there great for the money, but the money is very low. i'd rather spend more moeny on something that will last me a long time.

being in australia i dont have access to all the brands avaible, the events are one of them, i'll be lucky to find a company with a set of tannoys in stock. and i do wanna hear as many as i can.

thanks
Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I shopped in this range and found:

The KRK's were boxy sounding... high mid buildup?
The Alesis, at the time were harsh, I know they have a new version
The events sounded hollow... the mids were scooped

I bought the Tannoy Reveals and while I used them ( I blew 'em... you don't want to know how) they were seemingly more balanced but the low end dropped off drastically and while I had them, I took me a while to nail the bottom end. The Events may be better there but I think they would have caused me to be mixing heavy in the mids.

I now am using the Mackie 824's and will move to Adams when feasible. The Mackies get a lot of flack but when tuned (dip switches) to a room, I have been doing ok with them. The only beef I have with them is that they do add a little sweetness (artificial) to a mix... I haven't figured that out completely... anyone help me there?

I just wanted to let you know what I heard and maybe it will help you in your search.

Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is there a particular reason you want active over passive and an amp? What kind of material are you working on? How much space do you have to work with?

In that price range, definitely consider used/demo. You might also consider hi-fi monitors in addition to their pro counterparts. Depends on what you're working on and what you want out of a monitor, but perhaps a shoebox Harbeth or Spendor. Paradigm's good also, and not that expensive new. The hi-fi's are rarely active, but that can also be "a good thing"β„’. Upgrade piece by piece, not stuck with compromised electronics.
Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
TR-8s

Quote:
Originally posted by krou
I do love my mk2's, but if I was in the market right now, I'd take a close look at the new Event TR-8's, I hear nothing but good things.
I've been real impressed with 'em. The low end isn't supereasy to listen to, but it does translate well. And they're pretty damn cheap -E
Old 3rd April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dingo
Is there a particular reason you want active over passive and an amp? What kind of material are you working on? How much space do you have to work with?

basically i thourght it would be better to have the same amp in the speakers to help with the accuaracy of the signal, but if the amp isnt that important i'll do that, i really like the sound of the tannoys. but as mentioned in an another post
that the tannoys lack low end, so a sub might be needed.

In that price range, definitely consider used/demo. You might also consider hi-fi monitors in addition to their pro counterparts. Depends on what you're working on and what you want out of a monitor, but perhaps a shoebox Harbeth or Spendor. Paradigm's good also, and not that expensive new. The hi-fi's are rarely active, but that can also be "a good thing"β„’. Upgrade piece by piece, not stuck with compromised electronics.
Old 3rd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
No, the amp does matter to a point. I have a Samson and when I had a Hafler Pro 2400 here to compare it didn't sound THAT much better to me considering it's about 3 times what I paid for the Samson 6 years ago. But, going from a home stereo reciever (the first month I was open) to the Samson was night & day.

Now, for the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

I haven't heard the Behringer Truth monitors, nor am I looking to hear them at any point in the near future. However, there is a company called Truth Audio that makes monitors that kick some ass. http://www.truthaudio.com/ I had a pair of the TA-1P on loan for a few weeks while I was tracking an indie rock band. I got the sounds together with the Tannoy PBM6.5's and Wackie 824's. Once we started rolling tape I replaced the Tannoy's with the Truths and had them up well into the overdubs before I had to buy them or give them up. Man, all I can say is that they sounded great. They were on the bright and slightly scooped side but my rough mixes translated well and the imaging was great. For as bright as they were I felt like I could pick out 9khz from 15khz from 5khz where on the Tannoy's it's more like a cloud of brightness (????). All that for under $1K. Even the band liked them and I felt like if I bought them and a sub (to kick in and out) I could replace the Wackie's with them and a set of Horrortones and be really happy and confident with what goes out of the door.

So, if they kick ass why didn't I buy them? They aren't sheilded. I have a 17" monitor right over the center of the console and the nearfields live on either side of it. The PBM's aren't sheilded either but they don't affect the computer monitor in any way. The TA-1P's OTOH turned the edge's of the screen into a rainbow. Bummer.

I also like the Event 20/20BAS a lot even though people rag on them all the time. Sure, there's better sounding boxes but I've never had a problem with a mix translating from them. I also find them pretty easy to listen to, YMMV. With the Wackie 824's I feel like I can't trust them. I use them mainly for checking the low end, top end (I have them -2 at 10khz) and as mini-mains for control room overdubs and loud mixing checking. There's a weirdness around 3 or 4khz that bugs me. I'm sure if I used them all the time I could get used to it. Maybe it's that the Tannoy's are pretty forward around there, I dunno.
Old 3rd April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
wow, thats ome serious info, thanks dude.

my minds made up. i got an aelsis amp, and a set of tannoy reveals, thats it all that hard work done.

now i did a blind monitor test in one of the stores i listen to
the makies, the truths, the genelics (all sizes), the yamaha mp5s, the yorkvilles, the reveals, the krk v6's, so i know how they all sound, if any of you would like to know the details feel free to email me, i'd be happy to help

peace

stu
Old 3rd April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Stuart,
Post what you thought. I love seeing how others hear things differently or similarly. I would greatly appreciate it.
Robert
Old 17th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
havin Alesis Monitor One Mk 2 passive for nearly 7years - in comparance to the active version they seem to me having more natural high frequencies, maybe slightly natural over all spectrum...I like Monitor OneΒ΄s organic sound - well cant describe it better, its pretty subjective

Id say the sound "nice" which is not as nice as it looks - lots of mixes sound better than they actually are. Not fatiguing..

Having troubles in lows / lower mid range a bit, and sometimes the smooth highs let me push the highs in the mix too much..but one learns through the years with them, but for critical applications - they are dead for me now..

However I still have them and love kind of "depth", they dont sound boxy, on the other side sometimes bit confused about stereo image..one of the things I would never get rid off...

Was absolutely surprised of Adams A7 which sounded pretty uncomfortable to me at the beginning but opened up details Ive never heard in Monitor One.

But Monitor One as 2nd monitor still one of my favourite for years..and for the price?
Want another pair heh

my 5
πŸ“ Reply