The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Convertor Test - Digi 192 vs Aurora 16
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Convertor Test - Digi 192 vs Aurora 16

I was thinking of replacing my Digidesign 192 with an Aurora 16 so I made a quick test for myself. I'm sharing it because I'm curious if others hear what I hear. I was able to pick out my favorite almost every time. Completely blind.

It is in no way perfectly scientific. I had no way of trying everything with the same performance so I played the song 4 times. So performance could be an issue but I don't see why one would be any better as I did them in a totally random order. One instrument at a time.

The choices are Digidesign 192 at 44.1kHz and 96kHz and the Aurora 16 at 44.1kHz and 96kHz. So 4 files. All bounced to 16 bit 44.1Khz files. Both clocked internally.

No samples were used on the drums. Just 4 quick performances. Please don't critique the singer as I gave him one pass on each. No comping. Everything was done in one try actually.

So tell me which one's you prefer or try to guess what they all are.

Thanks.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
use something better for hosting like zshare or stashbox.
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I liked A and C. Wild guess says that's the 192

-R
Old 3rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
zSHARE - a_d-test.zip

Here's Zshare if Mediafire isn't working.
Old 3rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'll PM the answers to anyone who makes a guess.
Old 4th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Please post your guesses here.

I will PM you the answers.

Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey Kenny

I like them best to least in this order

C
A
D
B

can you PM me
Just put an Aurora 16 over here..

Cant wait to hear the finals of Lisa's Record.
Special Guest
My opinion

A and C
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'll take a shot at it. B and D seem less forward with a softer top, but very musical. Sounds like the Lynx from the other shoot out (never heard those in person). Sample rates, well the cymbal hits seem to have more definition when the band picks up in the C and D files, so I'll guess on those. Could also be because the drummer hit them harder on those takes. Also, I think he's playing the jedi mind trick of putting them in order. He wouldn't do that, would he?

A Digi 192 44.1
B Lynx 44.1
C Digi 192 96
D Lynx 96
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
C and B, the Lynx

B sounds like you're saying "tit ting all the time"
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStudio ➑️
Hey All!

Yep first post! Been a lurker for a few years, blah blah blah

Any-who,

Save your money Kenny, honestly, the difference is incrimental.

Thanks for spending the time to do the test, great sounds aswell (great snare and low end).

I see the point of "upgrading" but honestly cannot hear a noticable difference.

Sorry to gate crash the party
It is subtle but I do prefer one consistently.

All things being equal I probably wouldn't switch but my digi 192 only has 8 in/ 8 out so it would take extra $$$ to get 16 in. 16 out anyway.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Liked A followed by C

B seemed to have cloudy mush in the low end & D had a weirdness to it on the first kick drum hit.

Would love to know the results.

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My guess..

A. Aurora 16
B. Digi 192
C. Aurora 16
D. Digi 192
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A/C is the same converter and B/D is the same converter.

A and C has more forward highs and is a tad "closer" or in-yo-face, probably due to the highs. Also more defined lowmids but that might just aswell be the difference in performance.

B and D is a little more laid back and mellow, or softer if you like. Maybe not as defined but that can, again, be the difference in high end.

Guessing:

A and C: Aurora
B and D: digi192

Bottom line: I would have no problem working with either. Obviously they would influence eq decisions slightly differently but I would get what I want out of both.

Great job Kenny ! I was in fact considering the same swap myself but after hearing this IΒ΄m sticking with my 192 for now. Thank you.

Now let me know how wrong I was. heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance but did I miss something? Digi 192 are 16 I/O aswell?

8 I/O if your working at 192KHZ, I will presume you are working at 192KHZ, if that is the case and you dont mind shelling the extra $$$ then I would say go for it! Both great sounding converters.

Their are many many more parts in the chain that will yeild more noticable changes.

Go for it

As far as which one is better, I couldnt really tell, they both sound great and its not worth loosing sleep over.
Standard is 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs. You can upgrade and get 8 more inputs OR outputs but not both.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm hoping that B and D are the Aurora 16 cause that's what I own, I think they have a smidgen more clarity in the low end.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by demel ➑️
Liked A followed by C

B seemed to have cloudy mush in the low end & D had a weirdness to it on the first kick drum hit.

Would love to know the results.

Thanks
Same here. A sounds clearer and bigger. C is quite similar while B and D, while sounding good on their own, were just a tad dull and had less dimension in them. I was listening through the Adam's at the studio.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 ➑️
Same here. A sounds clearer and bigger. C is quite similar while B and D, while sounding good on their own, were just a tad dull and had less dimension in them. I was listening through the Adam's at the studio.
The transient response and depth of A & C is far superior to B & D, the others seem mushy and undefined.

I haven't heard either converter to say which is which, but I definitely prefer A & C.

Mark
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks Kenny,

Sorry for the questions.

That is crazy, so per 192 you only get 8 analog ins + outs, meaning you can only connect 8 analog pre amps per 192. Crazzzynesss.

Im used to the SSL XLogic Alpha-Link converters, 24 analog ins and outs. Great price.

Sorry again to go off target but thanks for the info, I always presumed that 192's are 16 analog in and 16 analog out.

Thanks again
Yeah. And when you stack them it can get confusing.

If you need 24 I/O, you need two 192s. One with 16 in and 8 out and one with 8 in and 16 out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➑️
Yeah. And when you stack them it can get confusing.

If you need 24 I/O, you need two 192s. One with 16 in and 8 out and one with 8 in and 16 out.
It makes me wonder... Does that screw up the ADC insert system that Digidesign insist on?
As in input x has to be matched with output x, as opposed to y.

So i/o 1-8 will work, but the extra 8 i and o on both 192s would be useless for insert duties?
Or am I confusing myself?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
It makes me wonder... Does that screw up the ADC insert system that Digidesign insist on?
As in input x has to be matched with output x, as opposed to y.

So i/o 1-8 will work, but the extra 8 i and o on both 192s would be useless for insert duties?
Or am I confusing myself?
It will only be weird if you wired up your patchbay stupid.

Most people would put the output of 1 over the input of 1 all the way down to 24.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 ➑️

Most people would put the output of 1 over the input of 1 all the way down to 24.....
Can you do that for outputs 9-16 on one converter and then inputs 9-16 on the other? Will Pro Tools be fine with that? I guess so, considering everything should be precisely the same in both converters. Does anyone do this (and by doing it, I mean with absolute success with ADC working just as well as the first 8 parallel i/o's of both converters)?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Re-reading your post now, I think you might have mis-read mine?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Re-reading your post now, I think you might have mis-read mine?
Nope heh... it was just my way of answering.... but to be more direct:

Quote:
Can you do that for outputs 9-16 on one converter and then inputs 9-16 on the other? Will Pro Tools be fine with that? I guess so, considering everything should be precisely the same in both converters. Does anyone do this (and by doing it, I mean with absolute success with ADC working just as well as the first 8 parallel i/o's of both converters)?
Yes. Exactly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nope heh... it was just my way of answering.... but to be more direct:
Oooooh. You're mean

Quote:
Yes.
Ah, thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplancke ➑️
The transient response and depth of A & C is far superior to B & D, the others seem mushy and undefined.

I haven't heard either converter to say which is which, but I definitely prefer A & C.

Mark

What they said : )

Another thing to Keep in mind as far as I know Lynx is a US manufactured company if that means anything to you . I like that ..
Old 5th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Im interested to know kenny but i dont have acritical listening spot connected to the net so it would be pointless to listen. I have a 192 but need more I/O and was thinking about selling it in favor of the lynx...ric
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall ➑️
I don't know how you qualify mushy and undefined but that is the way I hear A and C... A and C don't even sound like they were cut in the same room as B and D.

B and D are much tighter.. listen again..

I already know which is which so you can't accuse me of slamming a brand
It's just a difference of taste. Some people prefer Marshall while others prefer…

Ya know.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfoxx ➑️
Im interested to know kenny but i dont have acritical listening spot connected to the net so it would be pointless to listen. I have a 192 but need more I/O and was thinking about selling it in favor of the lynx...ric
You want to know the answers to a test you can't take?

Or do you want to trust our opinions?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran kelly ➑️

Another thing to Keep in mind as far as I know Lynx is a US manufactured company if that means anything to you . I like that ..
That and I can switch to any DAW and still use the Aurora.
πŸ“ Reply