Quantcast
What are you clocking your digital gear with? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are you clocking your digital gear with?
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What are you clocking your digital gear with?

My Motu HD 192's are about 2 weeks from being in my hands and i'm wondering what you guys would recommend to use for a clocking. The Apogee Big Ben has caught my eye but I don't know if it is out yet but i don't really know too much about what else is out there.

Thanks
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm using the Lucid Genx6-96. Very reasonably priced and an awful lot of people say you can pay a lot more money and not get any better performance.

I confess I've never done A-B testing against other clocks, but i use it - and it works fine for me...
Old 30th March 2003
Founder

I was clocking Apogee's AD8KSE's & Digidesign 888's with a Rosendahl nanosync, but now I have Prism Dream ADA's I use their clock and send that around the place with the Nanosyncs.. So it's acting as a word clock distibution amplifier with added video sync out as well. I do this not as the result of any extensive testing but just from a instictual gut feeling / gear vibe!

Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I need help in this dept. too... On my B rig I have 3 x 888 24 with a MOTU dtp and micro lynx to slave my mx80s.. Is the 888 24 internal clock better than the DTP? Would the micro lynx optional DAW board be an improvement?
Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 31st March 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Either a Mytek 8x96 or Crane Song HEDD 192. Both provide about the same high level of quality on the clocking.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I clock my studio to a Crane Song Spider; I use a Lucid GENx6 for distro.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks fellas. I guess there is no clear cut favorite.

I'm planning on running at 96k as much as possible and 192 whenever the situation arises. I'm going to continue looking over my options over the next two weeks and hope that something wins me over.
Old 31st March 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm sceptical for using an external clocking device if not absolut necessary because of a very bad clock - but then I would call such a device broken ...
I think that clocking from the DA that you listen too or use for recording is crucial. Therefore I use my Yamaha DM2000 as the master clock which is distributed by a word clock splitter/amplifier.
On my second workplace it's the good old Yamaha DMC1000.
Old 1st April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got a Digi 192 I/O along with a CS HEDD 192.

This could be shameful but I've just been running the digi as the main clock with the hedd slaved in WC mode.

I have nothing else that needs a clock. Is this wrong? Should I be clockin off the hedd instead?
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Personally, I haven't worn a watch for over ten years. My father always used to ask me how I knew what time it was without a clock strapped to my frikken arm. I always told him that there were billions of clocks nailed into walls and mounted on other people's arms.

I clock to Mytek AD and distro with Lucid Genx.
Old 2nd April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
I've got a Digi 192 I/O along with a CS HEDD 192...I've just been running the digi (192 i/o) as the main clock with the hedd slaved in WC mode....Should I be clockin off the hedd instead?
Slutz?
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I asked that same question to Digi reps, and their answer is always: "try it both ways and see whcih way it sounds better."

i think deep inside what I'm really afraid of is I won't be able to tell the difference!
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Aardsync II master for sync I/O distributing loop sync to 192's and 96 I/O's. Lexicon / sys6k locked to Aardsync.

We tested the Aardsync against the 192 and the sync I/O about a year ago. To be honest we couldn't tell the difference between the 192 and the sync I/O which is why I think it's the same clock.

In blind tests telling the other what we prefered, the aardsync simply got more votes then the other ones ... that's why it stays in there.
πŸ“ Reply