The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
drum micing question
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
drum micing question

n00b post-

first let me say hello and a sincere thanks to the users on this BBS for imparting so much wisdom and so many ideas. I've been reading this board for what must be weeks and have learned an incredible amount... very inspiring.

I am not an AE... really just a lifelong musician who mangles audio beyond recognition in my little project studio. Spent years recording in studios as a drummer, but never ran the big board.

anyway, I'm micing my drumkit in a reasonably sized room, my mic collection includes an R-121, 441, 421, M201, AT31 (AT813a), and a pair of 57s.

question: based on that, where would you deploy the R-121? As a single overhead? I've used it a little bit as an overhead... interesting mic, because it's so flat (without the boost in the 10k area like most mics) it tends to sound a little dark. still working to locate the sweet spot.

I've had some interesting results putting it out in front of the kit too... just to get that push and beef.

how would you use it in this situation? Where would you position it on a typical 5-piece kit?

thanks and best regards

heinz
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the active 122's as stereo OH's. If I only had 1 unit, I'd probably go rock it as a room mic. The coles ribbons are actually darker to me. If you have a good set up, you should be able to get a 95% useable sound with a 121 and a pair of decent OH mics ( C12's, 414's, Earthworks, KM84's, etc..). Are the 57's the only pair of mics you got?
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, I bought the 121 for elec guitar, and previously had a pretty small dead room for drums where I didn't do anything ambient.

I'm getting some nice room sounds now, if it works out I should probably pick up a pair of matched OH's...

thanks for the input, I agree that the 121 is probably better served in the room than spending it on a single drum.

best
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Since E-cue brought up using the 121 as a room mic I have a question: I have access to two coles ribbons at work and was wondering if using them as stereo room mics might be cool. We are currently using two AT 4033's I think. I guess the only way to tell is to try it myself. Anyway, the drum room is quite large (14' ceilings) and our room mics are usually pretty far away. Should I be worried about damaging the Coles ribbons at all?

Ian
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As a general rule, I don't like putting ribbons anywhere I wouldn't put my ears. The Royers are an exception to this rule. (this from a guy that's blown 2 ribbons in the past)

If/when you do try them, you really need to be able to walk around with headphones freely to find the sweet spot and angle for them. Sometimes I side rejection works against you, so try to allot at least 15/20 minutes to walk around with these things. You should be able to find a spot where you won't need any eq at all, provided your source is good.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
e-cue, thanks for the data spill. I will don the headphones and explore airspace for a while.

imacgreg, I'm guessing that if you have access to an SPL meter and know the rating for your Coles, you should be able to find the safe perimeter around the kit.
Old 29th March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I'll second the 121 as a room mic. Other good spots would be outside kick or as a semi-amb. mic over the shoulder of the player or slightly behind the floor tom. Coles are great room mics but I also don't like super bright room mics, the less cymbals I can get the happier I am. Don't stick them anywhere you wouldn't put your own ears and you should be fine. Blowing up a ribbon mic at some point is kind of a given. If you work with them enough eventually you'll cake it even without trying.
📝 Reply