Quantcast
CAD VX2 valve mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAD VX2 valve mic
Old 28th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
CAD VX2 valve mic

Anyone has got or used this mic?, it comes with two valve capsules, big sound big mic...

IΒ΄d like to hear some coments, I have found a nice price and I like you to share some experiences.

ctmix
Old 28th March 2003
Founder

I have heard these are good value.
Old 28th March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ctmix, try a search here and you'll find me yapping about this mic in several threads. Too many infact, which is why I won't do it again! heh

Actually, I'm the only one on GSz who has ever mentioned the VX-2. I think people tend to shy away from CAD and thus most people probably have never heard the VX-2.
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm very interest in this mic as well and just notice it's discontinued .

Why that????
M9 and VSM... are they equivalent?
Old 23rd December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: CAD VX2 valve mic

Quote:
Originally posted by ctmix
Anyone has got or used this mic?, it comes with two valve capsules, big sound big mic...

IΒ΄d like to hear some coments, I have found a nice price and I like you to share some experiences.

ctmix
It's a true sleeper mic.
Old 23rd December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought one when they first came out ($2,000) and it is an excellent all round mic. Very well designed and made.

Unfortunately, I needed some money a few years ago, so I sold it and bought a Studio Projects C3 ($330). I don't miss the VX2 and the C3 has been a more than adequate replacement. Not the same, but I like it better.
Old 23rd December 2004
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonauta
I'm very interest in this mic as well and just notice it's discontinued .

Why that????
M9 and VSM... are they equivalent?
The 1.1" capsule in the VSM is the same as the VX2 equivalent. The VX2 also shipped with a 1.25" as well.

Great mics.

War
Old 23rd December 2004
"Very well designed and made."

I disagree. No offense.

I got one in a bigger trade. It had no power supply.
I was not the registered owner so CAD would not provide
me a supply to purchase.

I never got to hear it so it may sound nice, I can't speak to that but, I did open it up and I found it to be quite cheaply constructed. A lot of thin stamped metal (the entire body!), super-crappy switches, tapping screws throughout. When I found out it was supposed to be a 1k+ mic I damn near sh!t. It did have a swank shock mount! Brauner-esque. It did have a lot of features. So does an Autocom. And similiar construction.

Check it out yourself.
If it sound nice and is the right price for you buy it.

BTW: Make sure you can get support.
You can't just use any parts with this novel-ty design.
And no other tube mic power supply will work.
And not everyone will work on it.

In regards to the 2 tubes......keep in mind, if Etheopian food was that good you would see it everywhere.

D
Old 23rd December 2004
I heard the CAD VSM and I was pretty impressed. Not too dark, and it add a nice smoothness to the vocals. Not silibant either.
Old 23rd December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The reason I'm interest is because there's a great brazilian Bossa-Funk album that used the VX-2 in all the vocals, and it sounds great! A project that really reflects the way I would like to sound.
The album was made in a studio which have tons of tube Neumanns, Telefunken, C12, even RCA... and CAD was the winner for this project... Taking account it's a mid-price range mic, I would like to get one... But now, aware that it's discontinued, I don't know.
Old 23rd December 2004
The VSM sounds very similar. I would recommend you try it out.
Old 24th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by warhead
The 1.1" capsule in the VSM is the same as the VX2 equivalent. The VX2 also shipped with a 1.25" as well.

Great mics.

War
Actually the VSM shipped with the 1.25 only and only one tube so obviously the electronics were different too. CAD had a hard time with these mics because they were actually made with the last American made capsules if I'm not mistaken. They couldn't compete with the Chinese mic army. I haven't heard another mic quite like it. Just used it to record a seven foot singer. Big mic for a big guy....just felt right....and it worked really well for his distinctive voice. It does get kind of lonely in the mic cabinet but so do the U87's.
Old 24th December 2004
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jbuntz
Actually the VSM shipped with the 1.25 only and only one tube so obviously the electronics were different too.
http://www.cadmics.com/vsm.htm

The VSM is indeed a 1.1" capsule, and the same "Optema" USA made capsule that was used in the VX2. The electronics are certainly different, but overall the VSM 1.1" mic performs pretty similar to the VX2.

The VSM is now being discontinued as well. I think a lot of it has to do with the Chinese stuff as you mentioned. Shame as it is a very nice mic. Supply is limited and then that's it.

War
Old 24th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In regards to the 2 tubes......keep in mind, if Etheopian food was that good you would see it everywhere.
I really like Ethiopian food, a lot, I think it's very, very good, on the other hand I don't think that much of Taco Bell or McDonald's, but I see them everywhere.

Regarding the CAD VX2, very cool sounding mic IMHO.

Later.
Old 24th December 2004
Who said the VSM was discontinued? They have 30 in stock, and no where did I hear that from them.
Old 24th December 2004
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Our rep at CAD told us recently that it will be gone in the near future. I will contact them tomorrow if they're around and see if they changed their mind!

War
Old 24th December 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I had this mic for few days to compare it with my U87. While CAD is good on its own, when directly compared with U87, its sound quality starts fading a bit ..
Old 25th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ISedlacek
I had this mic for few days to compare it with my U87. While CAD is good on its own, when directly compared with U87, its sound quality starts fading a bit ..
interesting.... i actually would prefer the vx2 over a u-87 most of the time... but i guess different strokes....
joshua
Old 26th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have owned a VX2 for about 6 years and still use it all the time. It's a great sounding mic with nice charactor. The two capsules allow a wide range of sound. Now that being said, there are some things I have never been able to use it on succesfully. Kick, and acoustic bass are the main too. I own a U87, Soundelux U99, Gefell 930 and Lawson LMP47. The Cad still gets used a lot. Of course, I record mostly jazz, latin and religous music so I can't comment on how it would work with rock vocals, etc.
Old 26th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm more used to record Jazz-Funk-Soul-Pop too... not too much rock around here. But I like a punchy sound with attitude. No mellow, soft stuff.
Old 10th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest ➑️
I did open it up and I found it to be quite cheaply constructed. A lot of thin stamped metal (the entire body!), super-crappy switches, tapping screws throughout.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but that is just plain nonsense!

The only thin, stamped metal is the badge-plate that mounts above (on top of) the switches. It serves only as a label for the switches.

The body of the mic is not stamped, but rather spun aluminum. I'm guessing they used aluminum (in part) to reduce the weight of the microphone, even though cost was probably a factor as well. Even with the aluminum body the mic still weighs a ton because of the dual transformers. It would likely be an unusable weight if the body were brass.

"super-crappy switches"??? Whatever!

I have taken my VX2s apart several times, and have never noticed self-tapping screws.
Old 11th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
PSU

Is there any way to use the PSU from the VSM-1 with the VX-2 or are they completely different?
Old 11th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of these and I love them. They are quite hard to find these days, and the only parts that CAD had when I contacted them last year were a few of the smaller capsules.

Sleeper......
Old 30th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2studios ➑️
Is there any way to use the PSU from the VSM-1 with the VX-2 or are they completely different?

I would contact CAD about the PS, I would tend to think they are not the same as 2 tubes are used in the VX2, and I know CAD used a din that may be diferent? not sure tho and would call CAD.

We had one for a few years and this mic usually surprised us with "better than expected" results, and is very versitile, btw
Old 30th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I recently purchased a VX2 PSU from CAD. It was about $350 IIRC.

I believe they only had one left after it.
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi

I have a CAD VX2 with about 1 hour of usage. Not even.
I have it in the original box, the 2nd capsule untouched etc.
I may consider selling it for the right price. So please PM me for any additional info.

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Cad Vx2 digital out

Hi

I am new to this forum and would like to put through a novice question. I have read somewhere that the CAD Vx2 came with ready for the first mic-digital out? If this was implemented has anyone tried it and what computers and DAW's would be directly compatible?

Thanks for any feed back here
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"Digital 24 bit output option with 120dB dynamic range and sampling rates up to 96Khz" built into the PSU. The reason why CAD stopped making them was because nearly nobody bought these... and even less the digital output option. If it was the first mic with digital out, IDK, it could have been the Beyerdynamic one:
Digital Microphones: A New Approach?
As usual it would either be master or slave in a digital audio connection... I suspect it wouldn't have a wordclock input. Good luck finding info on that.
Old 11th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Cad VX2 A/D kit - mystery solved

I managed to get hold of a CAD VX2 and communicated with the CAD tech people who were really helpful considering this is a microphone that they stopped selling many years back

Unfortunately the A/D kit newer came into production which explains why it was so hard to find:-D
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have never tried the digital I/O option but the mic is fantastic! It has been one of my "go to" mics for years, even with much more expensive mics available. It doesn't always win but it always gets a shot.
πŸ“ Reply