Quantcast
analog filters (specifically mutronics...) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
analog filters (specifically mutronics...)
Old 28th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
analog filters (specifically mutronics...)

hi all,

well, i've just about had it with my sherman filterbank and i'm in the market for a new analog filter. the sherman has been interesting through the past couple of years, but way too harsh for most of my applications.

i'm looking into getting a stereo unit that can give some real dimension, and retains the warmth of the signal (something the sherman is pisspoor at doing).

so filter freaks, is there anyone with the mutronics mutator out there, and how do you think it compares to wiard, or something in a similar vein?

cheers,

cal
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi,

have you tried the AKAI MF42? (can´t rememer the model name).
It´s nice. 1Stereo input + 1mono input. These are seperated from eachother, or can be linked or inverted. Syncs to midiclock, everything sends and recieves midi. I think it sounds nice, had it on loan. Will wait to get on myself til I tried the
www.soundtoys.com filter, if it doesn´t live up my expectations the AKAI shall be mine.

Jens
Old 28th March 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jens
Hi,

have you tried the AKAI MF42? (can´t rememer the model name).
It´s nice. 1Stereo input + 1mono input. These are seperated from eachother, or can be linked or inverted.
The concept of the MFC42 is good but the one I bought recently went back to the dealer after a few days. It was humming when you switch on a filter in the stereo channel even if you haven't plugged anything into the input.
On some low setting of the LP filter it sounded too distorted.
If you lowered the input signal to have it smoother humming was even more prominent.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
mutator

I have a Mutator and I recommend it. The difference between the Mutator and the Sherman is that the Mutator sounds great the moment you hit it. You really have to mess with the Sherman to get a useable sound with it (although it can be funky too). Downside is there is only a low pass filter. I also wish there was a way to link the channels without using MIDI.
📝 Reply