Quantcast
mic pres for ribbons - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mic pres for ribbons
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
mic pres for ribbons

years ago i sold a beyer ribbon 'cuz i just didn't care for it. this was before digital and i hadn't yet started throwing money at good mic pre's, etc..
thing is, i ended up buying a couple of r-121s and i LOVE them.
problem?
of all the mic pre's and channel strips that i gots, only the vipre works wth any regularity.
for example:
micing an upright bass was quite the ordeal. i tried my manley, fearn, drawmer and focusrite front ends before using the vipre's on the blumlien pair. with all the other mic pre's the S/N ratio was unacceptable. adding even a few dB of limiting made it unusable.
anybody got any good experience with good, high gain pres that they use for ribbons? i have a pair of wes dooley's r-84's on order from my local high end pimp and i'm lookin' at the coles as well. i tend to use stereo pairs a lot and tend to NOT close mic.
thanx folks.
let the newbie bashing begin.
lol, mj0
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hear great things about the Requisite audio pres. They have inputs designed especially for Ribbons. Why don't you get a stereo mic pre and tell me what you think, as I'm thinking about getting one as well.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BattleAngel
I hear great things about the Requisite audio pres. They have inputs designed especially for Ribbons. Why don't you get a stereo mic pre and tell me what you think, as I'm thinking about getting one as well.
ain't never heard o' them.
gotta url for them, or should i open sherlock?
Old 28th March 2003
I use a stereo pre called an EarlyBird made by Chiswick Reach. But thats a boutique maker here inthe UK so that info is probably as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike....

Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
www.requisiteaudio.com

and

www.chiswickreach.co.uk

cheers =)
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try a GT Vipre with your ribbons - it'll make you smile.
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Meriphew,

He agrees and has one ;-)
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I use a stereo pre called an EarlyBird made by Chiswick Reach. But thats a boutique maker here inthe UK so that info is probably as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike....

jeez, i'd never heard of these folks either. pokin' around on the net found the variable µ comp. that they make but not the pre. is it new?
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
www.requisiteaudio.com

and

www.chiswickreach.co.uk

cheers =)
thanx man.
as i said earlier, i'd never heard of either one of these. but i'm intrigued with the requisite audio pre. i have a fearn mic pre w/ point to point wiring and i just love it.
have to go and install that ashtray on my bsa.
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, let me know what you think if you try the Requisite. I'm looking for a good pre for my Royer SF-12.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah, let me know what you think if you try the Requisite. I'm looking for a good pre for my Royer SF-12.
gotta find one at the high end pimp complex here in toronto. but yeah, i'll keep ya posted. thanx again.
anyone else w/ experience?
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a Phoenix DR2146 (pre-production model for the DRS-2) that does some pretty wonderful things for my R-121. The Phoenix is also an awesome match for the Beyer M160DX (Sank 77DX ribbon mod) that I have. The Pendulum Audio MDP-1a is pretty killer too. At least that's been my experience.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Great Rivers work really well with ribbons in general - both of them (MP2H and NV).
Old 28th March 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
A mic pre "sleeper" for the RCA 77DX is the Studio Projects VTB-1.
You can read Harvey Gerst's "mini-review" of it at www.mojopie.com for more details.
Supposedly dusts a RNP on that particular ribbon, although to be fair Harvey gives the RNP the nod on some other ribbons.

Planning on getting a "Sank-tified" Beyer down the road myself
that'll mate well with VTB-1. There's a 50ohm/200ohm impedance switch on it BTW.

Chris
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast
The Great Rivers work really well with ribbons in general - both of them (MP2H and NV).
hmm, haven't considered that yet. i have a merc nv. i'll check that out when i get it back. thanx
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out the Millennia Media HV-3 mic pre. Super clean and accurate and they have a custom mod specifically for ribbon mics.

Go here---> http://www.mil-media.com
Ian
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
I have a Phoenix DR2146 (pre-production model for the DRS-2) that does some pretty wonderful things for my R-121. The Phoenix is also an awesome match for the Beyer M160DX (Sank 77DX ribbon mod) that I have. The Pendulum Audio MDP-1a is pretty killer too. At least that's been my experience.
thanx fer the 411. the phoenix (according to specs i got from the net) has a maximum gain of 40 dB. do U close mic stuff or do U leave a bit of room and let the reach of the mic grab the whole instrument?
i went to the pendulum website and can't find a $ value for it. about how much is it?
can i bug ya and ask what are a few of the "some pretty wonderful things" that it does for your royer?
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
Check out the Millennia Media HV-3 mic pre. Super clean and accurate and they have a custom mod specifically for ribbon mics.

Go here---> http://www.mil-media.com
Ian
i actually used a millenia a few months ago. i was miking up a string quartet in a nice sounding room. dirk brauner stereo mic and earthworks omni's in a decca tree configuration. i had them running thru my focusrite red 1 when the producer showed up. he said that it sounded pretty good. i thought so too. he disappeared for about an hour and came back with an 8 ch. HV-3 and in it went. the focusrite is no slouch, but the millenia captured much more detail and had a larger soundfield. a few days later i was working on something else and i promptly forgot all about it. toooooo much gear......
have U used the millenia with the royers and if so, gimme the dope?
man, your avatar is dec.
thanx.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Try a Altec 1567 Valve mixer. they are fairly cheap, have plenty of gain and once restored are fairly quite. I regularly use that and a WE 639 on upright (slap). I use the Altec and either a RCA44 or 77 for Pizz or bows. For vocals it manages to somehow make a ribbon stand outfront - full and warm. Not really "agressive" but ain your face kind of sound.

Front there I would recommend anything that can give you 60db+ of clean gain. A transformer usually helps. I've know some guys who make outboards transformer boxes based on Jensen (JTK 11 or something like that) then use that to go into a pre.

Also, i've used some of my ribbons with the stock pre's in a API desk. Killed all of the above on a rock session.
Old 28th March 2003
Oh dear, Chiswick reach's website is very poor!

Sorry!

Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by µ¿ z3®ø™
...do U close mic stuff or do U leave a bit of room and let the reach of the mic grab the whole instrument?
I do both. It really depends on the instrument, how it sounds in the space it's going to be recorded in, and how (I think) I see it working with other things in the song.

Quote:
i went to the pendulum website and can't find a $ value for it. about how much is it?
Around $2250. I got mine from Mercenary. Atlas has them also for the same price.

Quote:
can i bug ya and ask what are a few of the "some pretty wonderful things" that it does for your royer?
Well, for lack of a better way to describe it, it adds some serious girth. I absolutely love the Phoenix/R-121 combo on hvy gtr. It just does some 'huge-if-ication' thing that I love, particularly in the mids. It can be real nice for an outside kick setup as well (Pendulum also, about 2' off the front of the kick). I've also had some pretty nice results taming overly bright acoustic gtr's with this combo. HTH
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
My Grace works great with Royers...

I'd bet API 312s would work great too... (just guessing though, never tried it.)
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by bopmachine
Try a Altec 1567 Valve mixer. they are fairly cheap, have plenty of gain and once restored are fairly quite. I regularly use that and a WE 639 on upright (slap). I use the Altec and either a RCA44 or 77 for Pizz or bows.........

I've know some guys who make outboards transformer boxes based on Jensen (JTK 11 or something like that) then use that to go into a pre.
here in toronto there is very little vintage gear. i realise that there is always the internet, but i am leery of actually purchasing anything that is preowned without even being able to examine it. i really think that it's the point to point wiring that makes vintage gear so special tho'.
U know, after posting my intial question i began to think about an extra stage between the mic and the pre. it is quite common in the hi-fi world to boost the gain of a low output moving coil pickup with either a "head" amplifier or a transformer. i have yet to actually try this, but i wonder if i was to put TWO mic pres on the mic. i realise that there is the issue of impedance mismatch to be aware of and i really try and keep my signal path very simple.... but if it works.
but the hunk of iron goin' into the pre really piques my interest. per lundahl also custom winds some pretty dope iron to spec.
hmmm. food for thought.
thanx
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Oh dear, Chiswick reach's website is very poor!

Sorry!

no prob, jules.
my understanding is that dirk brauner is (going) to distribute the cheswick reach stuff. i'm really curious about the variable µ comp as well. i have a manley and love the "effect" that variable µ has. makes me wonder why there aren't more around. cheaper than the jewel like maley, too. i think. exchange, shipping, insurance......
well maybe not.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
It just does some 'huge-if-ication' thing that I love, particularly in the mids.
thanx so much, tim.
U know, i have thought about this one a lot. please understand that i'm not disagreeing with U. maybe just looking at it from a different perspective.
before i even THINK about how i'm gonna mic something up i will listen to the player. even crappy, cheap instruments sound big and it never fails that as the sound proceeds down the recording (and playback) chainit gets smaller and smaller. but really great gear seems to loose less. my fearn pre isn't the most neutral piece of gear that i have, but OH MY GAWD...... it sounds ginormous.
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

have U used the millenia with the royers and if so, gimme the dope?
man, your avatar is dec.
thanx.
Nope,

I haven't used the Millennia with the Royers or any other ribbons, just dynamics and condensers. I was just aware that they provide a custom feature you can ask for when ordering a mic pre. You might want to call Millennia and see if they could provide you with a demo unit that has the ribbon mod so you could try it out. They are pretty cool about providing demos. (The studio that I'm working at is currently demoing a HV-3B and a NSEQ-2, can't wait to get back and try them out).

Ian

Oh yeah, I made that avatar when I thought that PT was and then I got a REAL job at a studio and use a nice HD system everyday. At the studio I work at tho, we call it "Bro Tools"
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
Oh yeah, I made that avatar when I thought that PT was and then I got a REAL job at a studio and use a nice HD system everyday. At the studio I work at tho, we call it "Bro Tools"
i got burnt when i bought into protools 2. there was no upgrade path for me at all. i kept that system until last year when i sold it for 20¢ on the dollar. sure i made money off of it. but i will NEVER buy another digi product again. but i work on hd systems in three different studios. there ARE a lot of things i like about digi (procontrol, fader pack, edit pack) and audio editing is a breeze. note to emagic: think smart tool.
but could U imagine if studer/mci/ampex/whoever introduced new machines every two ears that made the previous iterations obsolete.
digi is overpriced, compromised, with so-so sound quality. how in hell did it ever become an industry standard. i guess that emagic has quite a hold in europe and i am a confirmed logic user in my personal studio. but it is really hard to sell something other than protools to clients.
oh yeah, back on topic. the high end pimp complex that i bought my royers from is gonna loan me the millenia. seems that the royers were just the bait on the hook.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

oh yeah, back on topic. the high end pimp complex that i bought my royers from is gonna loan me the millenia. seems that the royers were just the bait on the hook.
Nice! Let us know what you end up with.

Ian
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast
Yes they do. The OSA MP-1C & L are a favorite also, as is the Phoenix Audio DRS-1/2.
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
R-121 issues with 1272

I jumped into the R-121 before I understood anything about its impedance and gain issues. Had I understood, I would have gotten the R-122.

My only mic pre is a Brent Averill Neve 1272. I later was warned about lacking gain. So far, however, I've had no trouble micing guitar amps. And I recently put the R-121 infront of a loud Martin D28 with some success.

Anyways, this leads me to want to get another mic pre. It's Phoenix vs. Great River.
📝 Reply