Quantcast
mic pres for ribbons - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mic pres for ribbons
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What I'd really like is a Vipre with all those different impedance and slope (or slew or whatever they call it) settings to try with my Royer. The Avalon 2022 and the UA pres (and some Meeks?) also have some impedance options (although not implemented nearly as cool as the Vipre).

But since I have none of the above, if I have the Royer on a low volume source, I've been using my DACS MicAmp which has a ton of really clean gain. Oddly enough, I never hear anyone discussing this piece. I don't know if it's because I'm the only one who actually owns one or if it's a piece of crap (or both!). But it's actually the least colored pre that I own (at least compared to my API's, Vintech, Daking, Tube Tech, etc.)
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I totally forgot about the DACS! I had a studio owning friend who raved about it all the time.
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
What I'd really like is a Vipre with all those different impedance and slope (or slew or whatever they call it) settings to try with my Royer.
yup. the vipre/r-121 is a pretty good combo. the vipre's slewing rate is adjustable. i rarely eq when i track now. a lesson i learned moving from analog to digital. the slew rate defines how "fast" the circuit is. if the mic feed sounds too crisp i turn the slew rate down. kind of like a weird, subtle presence/treble control. that's an inadequate description 'cuz i don't think that the freq response changes. it's more like it tends to affect the leading edge of the waveform.
as i said when i began this thread, it's not that i'm unhappy w/ my vipre's. i have a couple more ribbons coming in and am looking at the coles and wes dooley's rca 44 recreation. out of the mic pre's/channel strips that i do have, only the vipre is usable on a dependable level. sure, i can mic up a guitar cabinet with any mic pre that i have. but i really tend to record a lot of room sound with the mic back further than most recordists that i know.
Old 29th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by µ¿ z3®ø™
no prob, jules.
my understanding is that dirk brauner is (going) to distribute the cheswick reach stuff. i'm really curious about the variable µ comp as well. i have a manley and love the "effect" that variable µ has. makes me wonder why there aren't more around. cheaper than the jewel like maley, too. i think. exchange, shipping, insurance......
well maybe not.
There are a few new vari-mu compressors around - Pendulum makes a couple, and there's a box called a "Tubelink", I think made by Audio Technologies that's pretty cool. And, of course, there are a munch of old Var-Mu compressors - Altec, Gates, RCA...
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Requisite are best IMHO for ribbon, not only the ones with special input for them, but every models ...

Otherwise the Vipre

But again, what da I know

malice
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Malice,

I'm dying to get my hands on a stereo Requisite pre! I wonder if there's a way I could demo one for a while to see if it's the right thing- they are rather expensive to order sight unheard.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry, I have no clue how you could demo one unit.

I bought a pal + blindfully (I'm nuts sometimes, no I'm a slut, a gearslut, that's it !)

It is the bought I did so far

malice
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BattleAngel
I'm dying to get my hands on a stereo Requisite pre!
hey, howzit goin'?
i realise that your post wasn't really directed at me but......
i thought that U might be interested.
not this next week but the week after that i will be tracking and have arranged to borrow the high gain ribbon mod millenia from the pimp complex. there is also a collegue that i am borrowing a requiste from as well as getting my great river merc back. i'll keep ya posted. just picked up my dooley r84 yesterday.
we're takin' a break right now, but we're kickin' back playn' some tunes/recording (for fun) and the r84/vipre/manley variable µ is the best sound i think that i've ever been able to get whilst recording upright bass. or maybe it's just that new gear love affair.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
awesome! let me know what you think of the millenia and requisite!

also- any sound clips of the upright bass? I'd love to hear that signal path!
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
also- any sound clips of the upright bass? I'd love to hear that signal path!
lemme think about how i can make this available. it's just us pickin' some bluegrass so there is no problem 'cuz i own the content. problem is that my only e-mail account is hotmail which severely limits file sizes. i'll check with my isp and see what the deal-eee-o is.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool, man! I can also let you use my digitalsoundplanet.com account if you want to upload something.
Old 30th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast

The Great Rivers work really well with ribbons in general - both of them (MP2H and NV).
I have the MP2MH and NV they are great with my Beyer ribbons.
M130, M160, M260, M500. You can get sufficient gain out of a PV VMP-2 to before it gets too noisy. I've used a M500 with it on vocals.

Wayne
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Oh dear, Chiswick reach's website is very poor!

Sorry!

Jules, have you hear the comp? I have a good friend who says it id the most amazing thing he has heard in ages... lots o dosh though..
Old 31st March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
My Bang & Olufsen BM6 ( closeley related to Royer SF12) sounds quite nice with both my RNP and the homemade Opamp labs pre.

The 3 different input impedances ( 50, 250 and 600) on the Opamp Labs give a bit of tonal variation which can be quite useful. It seem to affect the transients a bit as well.
Old 16th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
how many months later???????
well, i ended up buying the requisite.
hands down.
the millenia is all everyone says, but i find it sterile sounding. this might sound flakey but the requisite lets the emotion thru. i wasn't that impressed with the great river on either the royer or wes dooley's ribbons. not bad, but a bit noisy. the vipre still has many charms and sounds big and is maybe a bit more neutral than the requisite.
but oh my gawd!
have i said how great the requisite sounds.
tons of $$$, tho'.
thanx fer the dope guys.
Old 16th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
awesome! I was actually just thinking about this post yesterday... do you have the PAL+ or just the normal preamp?
Old 16th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i really wanted the PAL but the $$$ involved were not in the budget.
sigh.
the requisite sounds really great with the manley variable µ tho'.
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just bought a pair of R121s and they work great with my SLAM, Avalon M5s and my VIPREs. Plenty of gain and no noise problems with any of these.

The VIPRE gives them an awesome BIG sound. With the M5s the high end goes up where only my dog can hear and the SLAM is rounder than the M5s.

I have 48 channels of NEVE available and haven't bothered because I don't think the gain will be there.
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Great River NV couples very well with my ribbons. The low mids are clear enough in the GR to avoid that sometimes papery quality that I hear in ribbon mics, that lesser preamps can sometimes bring out. The Millennia M2B is nice as well if I need more air without EQ.
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd probably be going crazy trying to get a SLAM or stereo PAL+ right now but the main thing I really need is just some damn good acoustic space and without that I really have no need for anything lol
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'd probably be going crazy trying to get a SLAM or stereo PAL+ right now but the main thing I really need is just some damn good acoustic space and without that I really have no need for anything lol
i know this sounds like it goes against the grain of everything that we learn about recording but.......
there are good spaces all arround. sure i work in studios but when i record for me, it's pretty well always in houses. even in the city there are times of the day when background noise is not a big problem. i hear a lot more background noise from classical recordings from the golden era than i do on most of the stuff that i do. the cowboy junkies album "trinity sessions" was recorded in a church and U could hear cars driving by and kids playing while U were in there and in the final product all U can really hear that is kind of "funky' is the heating ducts.
man, it's part of the vibe. an old house, wooden floors, high ceilings, plaster walls, a dog outside barking.......
all captured with tens of thousands of dollars gear while someone takes a knife and cuts their soul open to capture it in ones and zeros.
art.
well, maybe not the ones and zeros. but digital IS getting better.
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh I totally agree- my house just sounds BAD ;-)

I'd love to find a nice church or something to record in- I don't need treated acoustic space- my place is just not vibey at all ;-)
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i feel fer ya, man.
U must have buddies?
oh right, the gear is at home. unless U have a laptop.
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well that's not a prob since my rig is all racked (PC and all)... just finding a vibey space is!
Old 18th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Preamps for Ribbons

Greetings Earthlings!
Ribbon mics in general have very low sensitivity and are often used in situations where you will need a lot of gain. Ribbon mics usually prefer to be plugged into a relatively high impedance input. This is the source of their reputation for being noisy. Ribbons aren't noisy, the gain of the preamps may be, especially if the mic is loaded down by a low impedance input.
I am here to preach the advantages of Earthworks ZDT preamps for ribbons. The ZDT preamp is quiet: EIN of -140dBV @40dB of gain, -143dBV @60dB gain. This is quiet. They also have no distortion and are flat from DC to light.
A small detail which we do right is in our phantom power switch. Phantom power (if it is done right) feeds 48V through matched 6.8k resistors. The voltage drop across the resistors provides and defines the current available. Most phantom switches just turn on and off the 48V to the feed resistors which are left in place. 6.8k plus 6.8k means the input inpedance is around 13k ohms which is too low for most ribbons. In the Earthworks ZDT preamp the phantom switch removes the feed resistors from the circuit leaving a nice high impedance of 100k ohms.
The ZDT preamp is very suitable for ribbon mics.
check it out- http://www.earthworksaudio.com/ns/preamps.html
Thank you for your time and bandwidth,
Eric Blackmer
Old 18th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I tried a Focusrite Red on a ribbon once. No success. Then: DACS Clarity MicAmp... brilliant!
Old 18th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by nativeaudio
I tried a Focusrite Red on a ribbon once. No success. Then: DACS Clarity MicAmp... brilliant!
that was my deal w/ the focusrite as well. i thought that it would be good to go. lotsa gain, low noise, etc....
it just sounded thin and took all of the gain of the red 1 and was hashy sounding.
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never been overwhelmed by anything Focusrite has put out lately.
Old 19th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I have tried several mic pres that work great with ribbon mics: (R84, R44 and Royer R122)

In no particular order:
1. Buzz Audio MA2.2
The first mic pre I've tried with the R44, very smooth, silky, didn't try to compare it with others, on a jazz female vox
2. Aphex 1100
A strong presence combination, lots of gain, yet with a character, nice...
3.GT Vipre
Astounded by what this mic pre can do with its variable impedance/transient. Lust for this mic pre, but can't afford one.
4. GR MP2NV
Wow! Absolutely wow! Great pair!
5. Summit (the half rack one, forgot the model no. Tried it at TapeOp!)
Very smooth, silky, tried the variable impedance, but couldn't tell much difference at the show) but good first impression.

In general, a quiet mic pre that can give excellent performance at 40-60dB would be a good match with ribbon mics.
Old 19th June 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Re: Preamps for Ribbons

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Blackmer
Greetings Earthlings!
Ribbon mics in general have very low sensitivity and are often used in situations where you will need a lot of gain. Ribbon mics usually prefer to be plugged into a relatively high impedance input. ... means the input inpedance is around 13k ohms which is too low for most ribbons. In the Earthworks ZDT preamp the phantom switch removes the feed resistors from the circuit leaving a nice high impedance of 100k ohms.
this fully flies in the face of well, my reality. both my royer R121 and B&O BM5 do MUCH MUCH MUCH better running at lower input impedances [like 300ohms] and do horribly running on say my crane song flamingo which runs at 10kohms.

the less load on the mic, the more signal passes, the more open the sound, the bigger the sound... the more load on a mic, the more gain ones needs... at least thats what my reality tells me. im sure you could easily argue technical jargon that would fly right over my head, but my ears and brain tell me something quite entirely different plugging them into lower impedances vs. higher impedances.
📝 Reply