The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Book Recommendations
Old 11th December 2008
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Book Recommendations

Looking to buy some hard-core books.

Here's a little about me:
- About 30 yo with Years of practical and professional experience, mostly reinforcement, but plenty of studio work as well

- Unrelated college degree that included physics, calculus, etc., so I am not afraid of math.

- I consider myself a pretty good engineer, but I'd like to really get into the nitty gritty - my near-term goals include getting my own recording studio up and running and I'd like to make very informed decisions on what to buy

- i can make stuff sound really good, but ask me about impedence matching, room treatment calcs, etc and I'm a dullard.

- I can troubleshoot or modify an amplifier but ask me to design one and I'm stuck.

Ready to take the knowledge to the next level, folks! help me out!
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Interested in this as well...
Old 12th December 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
After 30 years, if you have not arrived at your envisioned platform, books won't help.

Maybe its time to hang it up.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mixing with your mind
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 ➡️
After 30 years, if you have not arrived at your envisioned platform, books won't help.

Maybe its time to hang it up.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Don't pay any attention to these knuckleheads. There's always room for improvement, and nobody has been doing anything too long to learn.

Amazon.com: The Sound Reinforcement Handbook: Gary Davis, Ralph Jones: Books

Behold. The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. This is otherwise known in some circles as The Bible.

I've been playing guitar for over 30 years, and I just ordered yet another jazz theory book, and about 2 dozen methodology books from various musicians, from Django to Charlie Christian to Scott Henderson to Joe Diorio. You're never too old to learn man. Have fun!

Peace.

Q
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the kind of book I'd be looking for would be more about electronics and the technical aspects of things... not about the mixing and recording part of the job.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've realized you guys are right, so I've decided that if I hit my 30th birthday and I don't know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING, I'm gonna give it up and go back to waiting tables.

So, I don't have much time...recommend some books so I can "arrive at my envisioned platform" and record 4 life!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
yes..sound reinforcement handbook excellent

Behind the glass- howard massey ..very inspirational
Audio Systems design and installation- philip giddings
An International history of the recording Industry- Pekka Gronow

Theres also a Handbook for Acoustics..by alton everest I think.

Best fo luck Buddy
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Acoustics and the Performance of Music by Juergen Meyer - 5th edition to be published in Feb. '09 (delayed from Nov. '08).

Brilliant! I have the 1st edition and have already pre-orderd the new one from Amazon.

It shows the polar-patterns of musical instruments and how they radiate sound at different frequencies.

For UK viewers - look HERE.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
+1 on this title. It goes beyond war stories to give some real insights into the human side of success in the recording industry. That's something all too many people overlook. All the (studio) chops in the world won't get you very far if you can't relate to people and get them in the frame of mind that helps them perform to their potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalmaus1 ➡️
Behind the glass- howard massey ..very inspirational
Best fo luck Buddy
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud ➡️
the kind of book I'd be looking for would be more about electronics and the technical aspects of things... not about the mixing and recording part of the job.
In THAT case, we're definitely talking up the wrong side of the tree here. Sorry bout that.

You need to be more specific. Which aspect of technology are you interested in? Are you looking for schematics? Are you looking for analog or digital operating manuals? Are you looking to build a tube amp, mixer, delay device, etc.?

Craig Anderton is the guru at the top of the mountain for DIY projects. He has an entire library of how to's and schematics for building your own boxes. There is a company that used to be called PIAI that sold Mini Moog clones that you could build yourself, along with everything from D.I. boxes to mixers.

Try looking up Craig Anderton on Google. Check out his website. You also might want to look at the Stewart MacDonald catalog as well for parts. Back in the day, you could build anything from a tape deck to a recording console from Radio Shack. They still might have some parts available.

Sorry for the misleading information. They are still great books to have in your library though ...

Peace, and good luck.
Old 13th December 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
books

I have a copy of Modern Recording Techniques by Robert E. Runstein. It's old...but it's very good.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTrip ➡️
I have a copy of Modern Recording Techniques by Robert E. Runstein. It's old...but it's very good.
I second that - lots of old school pics and examples in this one!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
another vote for behind the glass!
also look at the mixing engineer's handbook. very similar to behind the glass but more technical.
i was never a fan of the sound reinforcement handbook. too textbooky for my liking.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A few of my favorites:
Mastering Audio, 2nd Edition- Bob Katz [a modern audio reference, fast becoming an engineering standard]

Mixing With Your Mind - Michael Stavrou [work smarter, not harder]

The Recording Studio Handbook - John Woram [a vintage oldie but goodie, cut from similar cloth as the 'Modern Recording' book previously mentioned]

The Audio Cyclopedia, 2nd Edition - Howard Tremaine [good companion to the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement volume]

Desktop Reference of Hip Vintage Guitar Amps - Gerald Weber [glorious insider tips & tricks to tubular nirvana; generally acknowledged to be more accurate than the Pittman books, and with contributions from Trainwreck's legendary founder, Ken Fischer R.I.P.]

Radiotron Designer's Handbook 4th Edition - F. Langford-Smith [the tube reference bible]

Also, any of the RCA Receiving Tube Manuals from the 40-50-60s [where the early Fender designs and a few other iconic amps came from].
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsblues ➡️
In THAT case, we're definitely talking up the wrong side of the tree here. Sorry bout that.

You need to be more specific. Which aspect of technology are you interested in? Are you looking for schematics? Are you looking for analog or digital operating manuals? Are you looking to build a tube amp, mixer, delay device, etc.?

Craig Anderton is the guru at the top of the mountain for DIY projects. He has an entire library of how to's and schematics for building your own boxes. There is a company that used to be called PIAI that sold Mini Moog clones that you could build yourself, along with everything from D.I. boxes to mixers.

Try looking up Craig Anderton on Google. Check out his website. You also might want to look at the Stewart MacDonald catalog as well for parts. Back in the day, you could build anything from a tape deck to a recording console from Radio Shack. They still might have some parts available.

Sorry for the misleading information. They are still great books to have in your library though ...

Peace, and good luck.
Yes that's more what I'm looking for, thanks

Basically I would love to get into DIY pres and comps projects... and of being able to repare / do a proper maintenance of my gear repair would be very nice.

I've been thinking about getting electronics classes for a whilenow , but I definitly do not have the money to do so right now !

Anyway I'm gonna look up for that Craig Anderson tricks and tips... Thanks again

Old 14th December 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi, my name is Mike. Fist of all, sorry my terrible english.

Here is a list of some of my favorite books:

- Handbook for Sound Engineers - Glen M.Ballou (IMO the Bible of sound)
- Principles of digital Audio - Ken C. Pohlmann
- Mastering Audio: The art and the science - Bob Katz (so great for mastering lovers and sound in general)
- The microphone book - John Eargle
- Master handbook of acoustics - F. Alton Everest
- Art of digital audio - John Watkinson
- The sound Studio - Alec Nisbett
- The art of electronics - Horowitz/Hill
- The recording Engineer´s Handbook - Bobby Owsinski
- The mixing Engineer´s Handbook - Bobby Owsinski
- The Mastering Engineer´s Handbook - Bobby Owsinski
- Stereo Microphone techniques - Bruce Bartlett
- Sound Reinforcement Handbook - Gary Davis/Ralph Jones
- Sound System Engineering - Davis/Patronis

Good Luck!
Old 15th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Studio Recording Procedures" by Mike Shea is a pretty tech-heavy book. Lots of math and theory and electronics.

The intro states:
Quote:
This book as written to serve as a textbook and reference source that provides an overview of the theory, science and physics involved in professional audio recording.
The first 134 pages are text, schematics and block diagrams illustrating how various gear works.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Opamp cookbook?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1,000 on the Katz book.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetKnows ➡️
Opamp cookbook?
How could I forget to include discrete components such as found in the TTL Cookbook? Ok, here ya' go - The guru himself, Don Lancaster:

Don Lancaster's Guru's Lair
Old 16th December 2008 | Show parent
Vum
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Handbook for Sound Engineers

That's the best book I've come across. As far as books go I use it regularly - and I use the Kehew "Recording the Beatles" but that's not really the same thing.
📝 Reply