The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AT 4060
Old 19th July 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
AT 4060

For some reason I've never got a chance to try this mic but have become interested due to some people's complements of it lately (G.Mass. for one). I've been trying out the typical Soundelux etc, but haven't really even considered the 4060. What do you all think?
Old 21st July 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Try to find one and try it out...

It's a suprisingly useful mic - even if it does come in at around clost to a grand, yet I second hand can be had for around $750 or so. I once saw a fellow recordist sell his and "upgrade" to a m-147, I think he is still trying to convince himself that a neumann is better.

The 4060 works great on alot of vocals, easy sound off the bat - works pretty good on some acoustics, between the 4060 a friend owns, and my U87 and sm-7, I can cover alot of bases along with a few good mic amps...

definatly a case of a mic that may not have that much snob appeal , yet just seems to work
Old 21st July 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by JayCrouch

definatly a case of a mic that may not have that much snob appeal , yet just seems to work
Which describes a lot of the upper end AT mics!
Old 22nd July 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I like mine alot, much better on my vocals (with a bit of eq) than a u87.

dfegad (Deleted INCORRECT info!!!)
Old 19th June 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
What is the better preamp for use with AT4060? Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used a 4060 a lot on male vocals. They are very dark but have their own sound. I like the Millenia pres with it. There are sound samples of it on the AT website and they are pretty darn accurate. All the AT 40 series mics are kinda cool in their own way, though I don't care for the 4033 as much.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's my main mic and it's hard to find a voice that it doesn't sound good on. There may be better choices, but it seems to be very versatile. I use it with a ME-1NV and RNC. I got it used in mint condition for $600. I haven't tried a different tube in it yet but don't really feel a need until the original craps out - then I may try a couple different models and compare them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I stuck a JJ in mine, which evened out the low end considerably vs. the Sovtek. The NOS tube I tried made it seem a little too vintage.

It sounds like a tube audiotechnica.

It has poor transient response, and even after retubing is a bit bumpy underneath, but it works in some cases.

Don't use it much since the M149 got here.
Old 20th June 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think it's a nice, but overhyped (in these parts)...I always wished they'd made it a multipattern mic, as it is one of the better sort of "on everything" ATs...but, I think they don't value multipattern much.

In my case, an Sm7 or UM70 easily bests it on my voice...and an Sm81 or 414eb easily killed it on acoustic...121/57/421 on amp...so, it was kinda like jack of all trades-master of none.
Dan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➑️
I think it's a nice, but overhyped (in these parts)...I always wished they'd made it a multipattern mic, as it is one of the better sort of "on everything" ATs...but, I think they don't value multipattern much.

In my case, an Sm7 or UM70 easily bests it on my voice...and an Sm81 or 414eb easily killed it on acoustic...121/57/421 on amp...so, it was kinda like jack of all trades-master of none.
huh, it seems all but ignored in these parts. It's a darker sounding mic, but it's a great way to round out the collection. Works great here for sax, and maybe vocals when the M-149, or the U47 don't work. It's a more relaxed sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow. Old Thread.

They are wonderful mics. One my favorite mics for just sticking something up in front of an acoustic sound and not having to worry about it.

I did a record once where probably 70% of the record was just moving one AT4060 around on a boom stand in front of what ever we needed to record. It was nominated for an AIM award (equivalent to a grammy in Malaysia) for best engineering.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
oops, my bad......
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussy ➑️
What is the better preamp for use with AT4060? Thanks
What source? What style? What ears?

I'd say a midrangy or bright one in general, so as to compensate for its dark character, but it's no good to 'imagine' how it will sound with this or that, even if it makes sense from a technical perspective... in other words, get your hands dirty and try it yourself.

It works nice with a variety of preamps though - 312, 512, Purple, Great River, TLA, 1073, depending on what you're after.

I find it wonderful for some male vocals/songs, but it's not always the ticket if you want it to cut through a dense mix, as it has very little presence in the midrange. A good EQ helps of course...

It's a great mic for the price, but not much of a U47 clone as some say - for that you'll have to spend way more money.

πŸ“ Reply