Quantcast
Inexpensive Peak Limiter? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Inexpensive Peak Limiter?
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Inexpensive Peak Limiter?

So what do you think about the Ashley CL50 and/or the Symetrix 501 . . . strictly in terms of their Peak Limiting capabilities ?

Usable?

How about the MXR? Too colored? How about the Rane DC24?

I realize the Aphex Dominator is very popular and well-liked . . . but that might be more than what I need. I just want something to catch some freak transients, rather than creative, musical squashing.

And please don't tell me to track quieter, heh because every time I think I'm tracking something quiet enough, I can always count on someone getting carried away and throwing something unexpected at me from time-to-time. And it would be nice to have just a little added peace of mind.

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have some top quality NTP limiters for sale.
Eurocard type. you only have to solder some leads and 24V power.
Old 25th March 2003
One with big hooves

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Unless your going to get a good limiter (read, not cheap) then your better off skipping it and just turning the level down. The Symetrix, dbx etc. stuff will do squashing and mostly the creative kind. If you want something to do just limiting the only things that really come to mind are the L2 hardware box and the Dominator.

How about gentle compression instead? A 2:1 or 3:1 ratio is enough to keep things in check. Is your system setup and calibrated with referance to 0VU or are you trying to track everything at 0dBfs?
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: Inexpensive Peak Limiter?

Quote:
Originally posted by moon_unit
I realize the Aphex Dominator is very popular and well-liked . . . but that might be more than what I need. I just want something to catch some freak transients, rather than creative, musical squashing.
I think the Dominator might be exactly what you need.. It's relatively transparent, simple and good at exactly the criteria you described. I think they can be found used for ~$500. Check this link for some Dominators on ebay

-dave
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
With the really cheap stuff, I'd worry about it affecting the sound even when it wasn't limiting--the signal path on that level of gear doesn't tend to be real high quality.

(Then again, it might not be noticable in practice.)
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
2 RNCs? Or even 3? Used that b4 I got a L2. Truth be told I sometimes go back to the RNC in that config! Especially for acoustic-based sources.
๐Ÿ“ Reply