Best 500 Series Lunchbox/Rack - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best 500 Series Lunchbox/Rack
Old 26th April 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred ➡️
That is opposite to our findings. We've been a dealer since October and have sold a lot of Fredenstein Bento racks (2, 6, and 10). We had one issue with 48v in all of that time (rack was quickly replaced with a new one). Their overall failure is well below the acceptable industry standard. No one has said anything to us about having an issue with modules, and the module types/brands are all over the place.
OK, this is the latest post from Sound Skulptor's official FB page:

"Several users have had noise problems when using the CP5176 in the Fredenstein Bento6.
These problems are caused by the presence of noise at audio frequencies on the power rails of the Bento6. The CP5176 being quite sensitive to voltage rails noise, this noise passes into the audio output of the compressor.
After some searching we have come up with a simple enough modification which is detailed in the following document:
http://www.soundskulptor.com/docs/cp5176-bento6-mod.pdf
We will supply the required components to anyone will do the request at the price of a priority letter shipping (2.50 EUR).
As usual, for those who do not use a Bento6, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it."

Unfortunately the solution came a little bit late for me. I changed the whole power supply from switching to transformer in my Bento6. Now is super clean but for the cost higher then 120$
Old 3rd June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votchi ➡️
My most recent experience with Bento 6 is not a good one. I bought 3 modules form Sound Skulptor - EQ73, MP573 and CP5173. The PRE and EQ works fine, but CP5173 produces high noise and noticible 512Hz interference when turning on the output. I wrote about this to Jean Pierre from Sound Skulptor and I received this answer:
"The noise comes from the Bento 6. The PSU of the Bento 6 is unstable and oscillate at an audio frequency. This oscillation is superimposed on the voltage rails. The CP5176 is more sensitive to voltage rail noise than the other modules. All our customers with recent Bento 6 have had this problem. Many of them returned the lunchbox."
So I'm a bit disappointed with Bento rack. Now I have to find out how to re-make it's switching power supply to linear.
Here is the link to a wav file showing the interferrence that comes out of the compressor module. When I attached the module to an external stable power supply, it was totaly clean!

Noise sample.wav
Sorry to bump this but I'm only cross-posting because a user has experienced a very similar noise to you using an Elysia Xpressor with a Bento 6.

Check this thread:

Elysia Xpressor 500 / [email protected]?
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This one goes to Eleven!

New contender... JLM ELEVEN rack...

XLR, TRS and DB25 connectivity all on back. Option for TRS ins and outs to run in parallel with XLR ins and outs or as stereo pair ins and outs in tandem with XLRs. Also has compressor linking jumpers. Venting out sides and back so you can stack in rack without same need for venting as other options. I loaded one up with modules you can see in fully loaded photo and every slot works flawlessly as far as I can tell with no noise, and no weird sounds with phantom power engaged on pres. Seems great so far.

ELEVEN rack is actually 11.5 slots with special half modules available through JLM if you want them for the half slot at the end of the rack, or just use the JLM half slot blank supplied with the rack to cover it up. You can also add a second power supply or share a second power supply between two of their racks if you have very high power consumption modules, though I have no need for that. Powered well with the 200mA per slot single power supply it comes with.

All that having been said, you can see 2 Bento 10s in my pic as well. Have loaded them both in past, and I have no noise issues whatsoever with them. They do have venting on top, so if you run hot, more of a consideration and one less slot than ELEVEN, but also cheaper. On balance, I think both are compelling values in USD terms for what you get.
Attached Thumbnails
Best 500 Series Lunchbox/Rack-img_0585.jpg   Best 500 Series Lunchbox/Rack-img_0578.jpg   Best 500 Series Lunchbox/Rack-img_0593-version-2.jpg  

Last edited by RecMyWorld; 3rd June 2016 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Old 12th January 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi there,

1st post here but like many others, I've been lurking for about 5 years (usually finding the desired information in other posts)

I thought I'd chime in here with my experience as an owner of both a Bento 6 and a Sound Skulptor CP5176.

I built the CP5176 knowing that other users had experienced noise from the power rails, and knowing there was a mod.

One thing I should clear up though - having read the thread end to end - is that there seems to be a misconception that the mod offered my Jean-Pierre is a mod for the Bento 6. It's not. It's a mod for the CP5176. (just in case anyone was labouring under that misapprehension

Anyway, I built the unit as per the original documentation ( just to see if the noise was present ) and indeed it was, in spades.

However, once I'd performed the advised mod, the noise has been eliminated. I can record whisper quiet acoustic guitar and have no perceptible intrusion from the 500hz-ish realm.

I do see both sides of the coin here from both Fredenstein's and Sound Skulptor's points of view, and am totally happy with my Bento 6 which is happily proving nice clean juice for my pres and compressors.

My CP5176 sounds absolutely great, and as part of my tracking chain, is great for anything from vocals to funky guitar with just a couple of knob tweaks.

Cheers
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I just built the SoundSkulptor MP573 (the pre amp). I needed a 500-rack so I did some research. I looked at the Bento 6S and the new "s"-model have an updated PSU according to Fredenstein -"the new Bento 6S has an upgraded power supply, to accommodate "green" low power modes and prevent noise issues with poorly designed third party modules". To be on the safe side I checked with SoundSkulptor if the two where compatible, and the answer was yes. So I bought the Bento 6S.

But unfortunately they are not compatible after all... (the mp573 and the 6S). I get a humming sound (that stops when I touch the chassi of the Bento) and some times crackling sound when using the +48 V on the pre. I thought I have made a misstake with the module, but the other day I got to try it in a API lunch box. Worked without problems. So, I have to return the Bento... sorry to see it go because I liked it otherwise.

So, now I don't know what rack to get again... The API is so expensive so I can't really justify it. Thinking of the Lindell 506 mk2. It has an external PSU. I guess that's good. But how will I know that it will work with my module.., and future modules? Seems like a real gamble with these racks and modules. Anyone tried the combo Lindell 506 and MP573? In the future I will probably fill the rack with other DIY-kits, like CAPI, JML etc.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hi Thomas,
I can't believe, the problem is related to the Bento 6S. It sounds like a grounding problem, please check the ground-lift switch and the power outlet.

Best regards,

Fredenstein
Old 29th March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredenstein ➡️
Hi Thomas,
I can't believe, the problem is related to the Bento 6S. It sounds like a grounding problem, please check the ground-lift switch and the power outlet.

Best regards,

Fredenstein
Thanks for answering Fredenstein. Yes, I tried the ground lift but it just adds more noice. The power outlet is fine. The strange thing is that the module works fine in another rack. So thats why I came to the conclusion that there might be some problem with my Bento. But I guess it could be something else, but I can't figure out what it could be.
Old 12th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ Fredenstein I can´t believe that with as many users having problems involving different 500 modules and your lunchbox you still can´t believe there is an issue with your product

Old 22nd April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head
We are now in 2017 and what is actually the best lunchbox. I want to buy 1 and really want everything to fit in. Enough power and is quiet.
Old 22nd April 2017
Here for the gear

Brent Averill

Is Brent Averill is the best quality out there?
Old 22nd April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffsense ➡️
We are now in 2017 and what is actually the best lunchbox. I want to buy 1 and really want everything to fit in. Enough power and is quiet.
The Zähl Rack500 is one of the best.
https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...unchboxes.html

It has a very stabil external power supply and additionally every slot has an individual stabilization.
The connection on each slot is high quality.
Old 24th April 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear
1st post here, looking at my issue, I have just got a fredenstein bento 2 and got hum and noise issue. One will say it is bad module design , the other it is PSU issue. But second one seems quite recurrent and checking the PSU output it s not the quietest either. So some module would be for sure more sensitive to it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Purple Sweet Ten
Old 24th April 2017
Engagement Manager

🎧 15 years
So many good ones to choose from

I've got API500vpr's, BAE 11 Slots and Purple Sweet Ten's and they've all been super reliable and hassle free
Just picked up a Wes Audio _TITAN and am really impressed with that
Even if you don't need the USB/Ethernet control functions it's very well made and does the job nicely

Nothing wrong with the API 6 slots I have/had either and they can be great for portability/remote recording
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've read a lot of recommendations for the Purple Sweet Ten on here, which lead me to recently buy a couple (one new, one used, so different batches).

I was disappointed because there's a high pitch whine coming from the PSU when the units are fully loaded with power hungry modules (in my case, two IGS tubecores, two hairball FET500, two JLM LA500 and a TKaudio BC500). The noise shows up in the audio path of the 500 unit that's next to the PSU.

I emailed Purple and Andrew acknowledged the issue and told me it was gonna be fixed in the new run of racks (that was a couple monthes ago). He also offered to exchange my Sweet Ten with one of the newer ones but hasn't replied to my emails since.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville ➡️
I've read a lot of recommendations for the Purple Sweet Ten on here, which lead me to recently buy a couple (one new, one used, so different batches).

I was disappointed because there's a high pitch whine coming from the PSU when the units are fully loaded with power hungry modules (in my case, two IGS tubecores, two hairball FET500, two JLM LA500 and a TKaudio BC500). The noise shows up in the audio path of the 500 unit that's next to the PSU.

I emailed Purple and Andrew acknowledged the issue and told me it was gonna be fixed in the new run of racks (that was a couple monthes ago). He also offered to exchange my Sweet Ten with one of the newer ones but hasn't replied to my emails since.
There's threads here going back years about Purple Sweet Ten racks. They're well known for putting power supply noise in the audio path, especially if you put pre-amps in them and especially if you put preamps in the far right slots next to the power supply. Just search for the threads, they're here somewhere.

Buzz audio redid their website and they took off the rack recommendations for the elixir preamp, but originally the info page for them used to say it.

If you check the internet archive, here's a shot of it going back to 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/20120609...cts/elixir.htm

"Purple Audio Sweet 10 - recommend up to 6 elixirs in this rack along with other modules. Mount elixirs at the left side of the rack to avoid power supply noise."

And that's back in 2012.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
There's threads here going back years about Purple Sweet Ten racks. They're well known for putting power supply noise in the audio path, especially if you put pre-amps in them and especially if you put preamps in the far right slots next to the power supply. Just search for the threads, they're here somewhere.
Did a bit of research before settling on the Sweet Ten and only read positive reviews. Should have dug a little deeper I guess. :(
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I will say from personal use with a bunch of different boxes, the Rupert Neve Designs R6 is STOUT.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about Heritage Audio ? Their OST racks have linear PSU regulation per slot. Really tempted, in my 500 dreams.

I think that sound cool on paper.
""ON SLOT TECHNOLOGY” takes advantage of last generation power electronics to handle power supply on a “per slot” basis. Each slot has its own power supply linear regulation stages; therefore modules are isolated from the rest. They just share the metal enclosure.

With literally hundreds of brands making 500 series modules, we at Heritage Audio think this is the professional way of handling this reliably, eliminating issues often associated with sharing power between different modules of different brands and natures.""
Old 26th April 2017 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i am still using API and the Purple Sweet Ten with no issues.
we have at least six lunboxs with not a issue.
i have a few other brands that are older and work fine as well.

Old 27th April 2017
Gear Head
I thought heritage audio and rupert neve r10 were one of the best
Old 27th April 2017 | Show parent
Engagement Manager

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville ➡️

I had a power issue with an old/early Sweet Ten years ago and Andrew kindly swapped it with a newer model which has worked flawlessly ever since

Did you try calling him?
Emails often took a while to get a response
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Head
Can you link all slots in the rupert neve r10. Can't find the information. I want to build a solid vocal chain. pre-amp/eq/compressor. And connect the lunchbox to the apogee duet 2. Is this possible?
Old 28th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have 2 x api 500-6b and I'm really happy with them, about to buy a 3rd. No one really complains about them AFAIK so I feel its a safe choice.
Old 28th April 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Can you link all slots in the rupert neve r10. Can't find the information. I want to build a solid vocal chain. pre-amp/eq/compressor. And connect the lunchbox to the apogee duet 2. Is this possible?
If I understand you correctly, then yes and yes. You would connect the modules to each other via XLR ins and outs on the back of the neve rack and feed the output of the last module in the chain to the input of your Duet2.

If you are processing a prerecorded track, then you would need to change the outputs on the Duet2 mixer to 3-4 and you will only be able to monitor through the headphone out on the Duet in that case -- unless there is some other trick out there that I don't know about.
Old 29th April 2017
bump+

Anyone using the Lindell Audio 506 rack or the Fredenstein Bento 6 (both hundreds less than others)? It's a few hundred bucks cheaper. Sometime "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply and a good deal also equates a good product. at 400 mah it looks pretty nice for just about any 500 series module... been eyeing the diyre's and am looking for an inexpensive rack to put a bunch in for a side project. Anyoe using this?
Old 30th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have to say, the API 500-8B API: 8 Slot High Current lunchbox® is a really nice configuration in that it has 8 slots and D-Sub connectivity.

For me, trying to resolve 6 space lunchboxes and 10 space racks connectivity to the patch bay meant that one of each = 16 patch points

Two 6 space lunchboxes = 12 (awkward) and 2 10 spacers = 20 (another bad). Two 500-8B's is 16, another is 24... the power of 8 channels!

I thought I had a problem with mine. One of the slots seemed to have died. I call API service and he suggested I check the switch on the back. Sure enough, it had been bumped. I have had it for 2 or 3 years now and it is pretty sweet.

I also have an older 6B (without the D-sub). It has been flawless as well, and no external power supply.
Old 30th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head
The rupert neve has a 1,2 3,4 5,6 link combination is it possible to make a chain of three modules on it.

Preamp
Eq
Compressor

Can somebody tell me?
Old 6th June 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Has anyone tried OST or RAdial ? Any tips? All best
Old 6th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 ➡️
I have to say, the API 500-8B API: 8 Slot High Current lunchbox® is a really nice configuration in that it has 8 slots and D-Sub connectivity.

For me, trying to resolve 6 space lunchboxes and 10 space racks connectivity to the patch bay meant that one of each = 16 patch points

Two 6 space lunchboxes = 12 (awkward) and 2 10 spacers = 20 (another bad). Two 500-8B's is 16, another is 24... the power of 8 channels!

I thought I had a problem with mine. One of the slots seemed to have died. I call API service and he suggested I check the switch on the back. Sure enough, it had been bumped. I have had it for 2 or 3 years now and it is pretty sweet.

I also have an older 6B (without the D-sub). It has been flawless as well, and no external power supply.

DSubs are simple to connect, but if you have a rack with a mix of preamps, EQs, comps, and/or color boxes and you want all your pres together on your patchbay, your EQs together, your comps together, etc., then connecting the lunchbox side of your DSub snakes with XLRs vs DSubs enables greater flexibility in terms of how you organize your modules in the lunchboxes over time, especially as you buy new gear over time. What if you want to connect 4 500 series preamps and 4 rack channels of preamps into the same bank of 8 on your patchbay? Cannot be done with DSub connectors only.

Another issue, what if you have 8 preamps you bring Mics into with a front to back XLR passthrough panel that brings your mic cable signals from front of rack to connect in the back of your rack to your preamps ins -- but then you also want to be able to use some of your pres to mix with? Well then you have to disconnect the DSubs from the mic ins if you have a single set of DSub connections in order to run patchbay signals to them, and you will need to send a whole DSub cable of 8 channels of patchbay outs to your lunchbox for mixing, when maybe you only use 2 or 4 of your lunchbox preamps for mixing. In that case, having two sets of parallel ins for your lunchbox is great. Mic connections can always stay there, and you can bring the number of pres you also like for mixing into your patchbay in a bank of buss processing options. Just another example of flexibility being nice in my opinion if you don't have infinite space in racks and/or patchbays and want faster workflow without having to go behind racks all the time.

Finally, 8 slots is 2 or 3 less than you could get in each unit of rack space over time. So, 10/11 space racks give you 25-37.5% more modules fitting into same rack space.

So I once thought the high current 8-slot APIs were the way to go, but then I realized that for me, the DSubs on the lunchbox side of my DSub snakes would take away my ability to reorganize my connections into my patchbay, and so I actually only get lunch boxes with XLR connections in back.

Some of my lunch boxes (esp ones where I have preamps that I might use for tracking and mixing) have two sets of parallel ins/outs (some on DSubs and XLRs), which to me is ideal to give easy choice of multiple connections in/out that you can leave wired for both all the time, but those racks are somewhat more expensive (yet worth more because they are better for workflow).

Where I have one set of connections that can always stay on patchbay (no pre-amps, just comps/EQs/eventual color boxes), I went with XLR connections (no DSubs) on the lunchbox side. That way I can vary which lunchbox slots show up in different sections of my ins/outs in patchbay and set up normaling effectively in my patchbay as well, so less patch cables in use if I use standard chains on mix buss for example.

Just giving some reasons for other types of rack utilization. Of course, this is a definite YMMV topic.

Last edited by RecMyWorld; 6th June 2017 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: wording
📝 Reply