Interning - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interning
Old 23rd March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Interning

Hey everyone,

Just a little advice or info gladly accepted. I've been interning for about 6 months at a local studio, and believe me I've been busting my ass.

IM just a bit confused on the whole "Training" issue. Considering i received little or no techinical training, as of yet. Just basically watching others mix,,,,which i understand, and setting up mics, etc, etc,,,,but after that I usually just get yelled at constantly for not doing something right,,,,,,,that I have never even been shown or explained how to do it, the first time.

I have a small PT set up at home, and have really not used it much because of the time I put in at the other studio. BUT i have learned a lot as far as techniques go. But i guess I'm getting a little weary or the constant screaming in my face, some justifiable,,,thats ok,,,,,but mostly from things i havent learned or been taught.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for all your info and keep gearslutz rockin!
Old 24th March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Good question. What kind of technical training are you looking for? I didn't get much when I started interning either. Most of what I learned was through osmosis which is a much needed skill to have in the studio. Without that it's almost impossible to tell how a session is headed and what needs are on the horizon. If it looks like the keyboard overdubs are winding down and vocals are next, grab the tube mics and plug them in to get them warm without being asked to do it. Unless you want to be a tech there usually isn't much tech stuff to know, it's more about people skills and listening (not just to the music) then anything else.

Getting yelled at is part of the curve. Some of the people in this business have an anger management problem at times, myself included (ask the guitar player who thought it would be funny to click a lighter next to my ear while doing mutes) and it's a way to weed out the weak. Survival of the fittest and all that. I've seen some people get yelled at on sessions for MINOR stuff and start to cry. What would happen if they really ****ed up and erased a take or broke a clients instrument? If you get yelled at for doing something wrong, ask them to show you the right way to do it memorize it. If you don't ask you'll never learn right?

Six months is usually the turning point that an intern goes from an unpaid intern to really crappy pay. It would probably be worth it to stick it out for a bit longer and maybe ask for a review to see what your future at facility looks like. I'll say this, the studio your at has been around for a long time and probably isn't going anywhere soon. Unless you really hate it I'd be inclined to stick around.
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hey Jay

Thanks for the advice!! As for the yelling I have no problem with that,,,,,its just the fact that sometimes he really doesnt every tell me what I've done wrong, and basically just leaves me hangin.

I kinda think I'm gonna stick to three to four days a week, but also put some time in on my own equipment at home. And your right, the whole osmosis thing is defintely something I do extremely well, and the knowledge and techniques im picking up just by watching these guys is priceless.

So with that in mind I know i can make this work for me in the long run even if I dont get a paid position.

Thanks again Jay,
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Jay real quick,

How do you like your Oktava's? I have the Rode NT5's not bad,,,,but had no capsule options,,,,,,,andI'm wondering basically how each capsule for the oktavas sound?

Especially the omni's,,,,,im looking for a nice smooth, room mic. For my ghetto garage drum recordings,,lol lol

Thanks
-dano
Old 24th March 2003
Founder

Secretly hop the boss over to de-caff!

Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And a thick 'luggey' spooned in if the yelling isn't your fault.

Dizz,

I think one of the problems you are running into is that you don't know what you don't know, know what I mean? (long pause)

Do you know automation on the console? Do you know Pro tools? Do you know Daw / Tape cal? Do you know signal flow? If a new engineer came into your studio and asked you what kinda of MicroPitchShift programs do you have, could you point to a H3000? If they came across a program called "SkeeblededowhoopaChristopherReeves", could you tell them what it's like and what it sounds good on? If the engineer spontaniously combusted, could you jump behind the console and take over his/her spot in the drop of a dime?

If someone asks you to do something you don't know how to do, ASK! Don't fumble through it. There's no such thing as a stupid question. Hit the tech up at the studio. If something breaks, don't just send it to the shop and hope it gets fixed. Have the tech explain, and show you what the problem was and how he/she fixed it. Ask other assistant's questions. At the end of the session, ask the engineer what your soft points were and damn well make sure you learn them next time. Don't expect a spoon feeding.

Read manual after manual. If I had the time, I'd send a snare through every piece of gear in the studio and tweak it till the sun came up, but I can't. I don't have the time to read manuals or research new up & coming gear while I'm engineering.

Don't **** up. Consentrate on your 'job'. Be prepared to do something before it's done. Watch every knob the engineer turns.

Show eagerness to learn and ambition.
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hey E cue

Yeah I see exactly what youre saying. I am quite good with protools, signal flow, mixing, etc etc.

Obviously just from being at the studio helps my chops even if it is just by watching.

As far as a tech dept,,,,,lol we dont have one,,,,,,I and the other interns are the tech dept!!! lol

But yes I see your point, theres never too much I can learn, and thank you for your advice.

-dano
πŸ“ Reply