Quantcast
More products need to be made - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
More products need to be made
View Poll Results: Is there enough new gear being made?
Yes, plenty! I never scour the mags and boards for new gear!
0 Votes - 0%
I read Tape Op mag once, but didn't see anything I wanted.
1 Votes - 3.03%
I don't know the difference between 'need' and 'want'
5 Votes - 15.15%
Are you crazy? I'm a gearslut.
27 Votes - 81.82%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog

I bought a FATSO and RETURNED it because i didn't realy like it that much!!!! (Probably my fault, not Empirical's)
No, you're not the only one who doesn't have that much use for the Fatso...
Old 28th April 2003
jzb
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The old is new... again.

I've been trying to get my hands on a piece of the new Toft Audio Designs gear for nearly 2 months. When I emailed the distributer PMI Audio Group I was told there are many companies selling the T.A.D. gear. Specifically Mercenary Audio was mentioned. I don't see it mentioned on thier website. Nor can I find anyone (at least here in the US) selling TAD kit.

This might be very exciting for the Gear hungry engineer. The Trident gear was very cool. I myself am a fan of the Daking line of pre's and compressors. However, this is fairly expensive. If Toft can put out a decent box without getting cheezed like the Joemeek "Prosumer" effort we could be seeing the beginning of a reimergence of classic designers rediscovering the drafting board.

Learn from the past, but embrace the future.

Oh yeah... one more thing... Anyone else sick of Neve comparisons? How ****ing Neve-like thier product is?
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog

There's plenty of gear I use that was never the flavor of the month, yet I like it and use it. And plenty of other stuff that I tried that was highly touted that I just never seemed to be able to get into. Same goes for "consensus" recording techniques that I seem to violate regularly.

Examples (as I bravely bare my soul and hope for mercy from the multitudes):

I've been using my same old D112 on kick, in spite of the fact that everyone tells me that I'd be better off with whatever this month's flavor is. Or at least a D12...
I find the D112 to be OK aswell when doing hardrock-stuff, although there are a few mics I'd pick before the D112...AND I'd never use it as the only mic on kick. I like to combine it with a SD condensor (M147, U195) or pehaps an AT4051.
...but when it comes to live performances I allways use the D112. It just seems easier to control. Like 'fire and forget'.....

Quote:

I record acoustic guitar more often with large diaphragm condensers than small diaphragm ones!

Me too. Almost exclusively....

Quote:

I bought a FATSO and RETURNED it because i didn't realy like it that much!!!!

Now that's sick...

Quote:

I have a Cranesong HEDD, and I DON"T use it on everything. I find some mixes sound better without it!!!!

I have a STC-8 and it's mostly used in the "power off" position. I don't find it intuitive to use. However WHEN it's in use I LOVE it! I actually love it anyways, 'cause I'm a true GS.
I use the 1969-comp a lot more aswell as RNC's

And here're some more confessions:

I almost allways eq/comp/gate the hell out of snares to make them snap they right way.... tutt

I love to record guitars (clean and distorted) direct through my PSA-1

I love Alesis microgates :-)

I love the eq in my Soundtracs Solo console eventhough it most likely is based on a bunch of IC's.

I tried to record a drum-OH track on my Fostex D-108 HD-recorder on all 8 tracks....in series....Analog in tr1, analog out tr1 to analog in tr2 etc....thereby going through 8 AD circuits and 8 DA circuits and it wasn't noticeably degrading the signal!!!!

I use a regular Technics-living-room-HIFI-amp to amplify my JBL4412 and Auratones. Sounds good to me.....

...but I am still a gearslut......I am actually in love with my microphones.....and my pre's...and comps....and......a......somebody HELP ME!!!

dfegad Plug-In's

Sorry, I can't help it....analog outboard makes me horny
Old 3rd May 2003
Mindreader

๐ŸŽง 15 years
WHO is that one person on his own in the poll vote?
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
WHO is that one person on his own in the poll vote?
Yeah...that must be some far out whacko....
๐Ÿ“ Reply