Outside head on kick drum? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Outside head on kick drum?
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Outside head on kick drum?

Do you guys use the non-beater side head on your kick drums when you record (small hole cut out for mic) or do you just keep it off all together?
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
depends on the material, but most of the time I take it off.
Old 21st March 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I prefer the front head ON with a hole. The front head gives me a 'rounder' tone off the drum and the hole lets me get right up to the batter head with a mic if I want.

I use one of those plastic ring jobbies around the hole so I don't cut myself on the jagged edge as I am wiggling the mic around. I have friends who say that even a small hole is a no-no and insist on mounting a mic inside and sealing it in. Or even better, micing the 2 headed kick from the outside. This seems to be a religious issue, judging from the intensity of their reactions to the Dreaded Hole.

I'd rather put up with whatever sonic "disadvantages" the hole causes and be able to switch and move mics and get it close to the head if needed. The hole is also good for adjusting, fluffing or removing the blanket/pillow/towel/beanbag/mackerel that is sometimes used for addtional damping.

I like an Evans EQ4 on the batter side- it has a thick ring embedded in it that controls the sustain of the head. I use the blanket less often now.

I could see taking off the front head if you've got a drummer with a really fast foot or double pedal. Don't forget to tape down the front lugs or they will rattle.
Old 21st March 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Front head on with a hole.
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fronthead on with a little hole- but planning to try it off next time. Just to see how the sound changes

Jo
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Front head on with a hole. Studio kit (Premier Signia) with a custom 22 inch kick. I'm still not happy so I'm considering a full front head with some means of dampening a little. For some reason, even though I've dropped the tuning on the drum to the last, it still sounds too high pitched to me. I'm also going to do the tunnel trick and start to move the mic furher back, or even try a mic near the beater.
Does anyone here listen to a drummer by the name of Dave Weckl? Check him out for drumsounds in general (not to mention the playing!).
Old 22nd March 2003
SawSlut

🎧 15 years
No front head, and a remo ebony pinstripe on the beater side. Of course, I do a lot of Death Metal, so YMMV
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A lot of jazz drummers refuse to do either (hole or remove). But the function of the kick is different (compared to pop styles), so close mic'ing the kick isn't as critical. If need be, I can always mic the beater side or build one of those tunnels.

Anyone else have any favorite techniques for double headed (intact) kicks?
Old 22nd March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
front head... mine has a hole but i dont use it to stick a mic in. usually just mic the front head. the beater head has too much attack for most of what i do. id rather not have a hole but i like the ones that are small and on the edge rather than those "fake" heads that have a big hole in the center, what a waste.
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Either:
1) front head on with a smallish hole off center

2) front head off, with a 6 foor tunnel made from a down sleeping bag with a mic inside the shell and at the ned of the tunnel
Old 22nd March 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Front head on, no holes. It takes longer to pick and tune the right drum for the song... but I invariably prefer the result.

As always... YMMV.
Old 22nd March 2003
Founder

Often tape a small towel to the outer head to prevent it ringing..
Old 22nd March 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
depends on the material, but most of the time I take it off.
Same here...
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Front head on, no holes. It takes longer to pick and tune the right drum for the song... but I invariably prefer the result.

As always... YMMV.
Ditto

great results that way

Never completly removed ... IMHO

malice
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

If it's my own kick (Tama Starclassic 18x22), the front head is on with no hole. I use either Remo Powerstroke 3 heads front & back, or Evans Emad on the batter side and an EQ1 on the front. 1 Evans EQPad inside barely touching the back head.

I have an AudioTechnica ATM25 permanently mounted in the drum and I'll put an AT404 or U47fet or Baby Bottle outside the drum.

For client's drums, I like the front head on and with a hole so I can play around with muffling & micing, but I'll work with whatever. yuktyy
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Beech
Front head on with a hole. Studio kit (Premier Signia) with a custom 22 inch kick. I'm still not happy so I'm considering a full front head with some means of dampening a little. For some reason, even though I've dropped the tuning on the drum to the last, it still sounds too high pitched to me.
Premier tend to sound that way! But then remove the muffeling tune both heads to sing at the lowes pitch and only muffel the batter head.

Other trick with Premier is tuning them quite high and cut fundamental frequenzy and boost the sub harmonics.

A Remo Emporer on the kick side could help, they tend to have less tone.
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have mine with front head and hole.
Hole of center to the side or at the bottom.

To find a good place for the mic with closed head let the drummer play the kick will you sweep a lighter infront of the head.

Wait until the voodoo takes place! The sound warms up!

Well actually you sweep until the lighter gets blown off by the kick.
You have found the place of the biggest air movement, place the mic there.
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Neat trick!
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nutmeg

wow, gotta try that ...

You Germans are so clever heh

malice
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks BA and malice!
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Oh by all means a front head with small hole down on the side. All the tone comes from the front head. Good boom. Session guy here in Nashville using a 26" bass drum! Weeeee!

Mills Logan
πŸ“ Reply