Quantcast
Chasing atom smashing drum sounds - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chasing atom smashing drum sounds
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chasing atom smashing drum sounds

I've been hired to mix an 8 song demo for a power pop/punk trio who are very unhappy with the first go round . the songs are good the trax are OK, but they are very unhappy with the drum sound. their drummer gave me a cd of his favorite guys, travis barker: blink,boxcar racer,transplants..., cyrus bolooki: new found glory, darrin pfeiffer: goldfinger etc, all super compressed pumping popcorn popping tones. I'll try my usual techniques but something tells me theres something i'm missing. Any thoughts or first hand knowledge would be appreciated.
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Chasing atom smashing drum sounds

Quote:
Originally posted by bjornson
I've been hired to mix an 8 song demo for a power pop/punk trio who are very unhappy with the first go round . the songs are good the trax are OK, but they are very unhappy with the drum sound. their drummer gave me a cd of his favorite guys, travis barker: blink,boxcar racer,transplants..., cyrus bolooki: new found glory, darrin pfeiffer: goldfinger etc, all super compressed pumping popcorn popping tones. I'll try my usual techniques but something tells me theres something i'm missing. Any thoughts or first hand knowledge would be appreciated.
Call Andy Wallace. heh
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Snare is a big part of his sound, and he seems to have the same snare sound on so much of his stuff. It's also a long way away from how a snare really sounds when it's recorded. I would like to know how he does it tho... I'm sure he uses samples, but he makes the hits sound pretty natural - which takes real skill.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Um I don't know any of those bands you listed.

So what's the sound you're trying to get? Please describe.
Old 20th March 2003
TML
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
bjornson-
I've done about 30 punk-pop ep's this year. Most of the kids are young and have know concept of how to get good sounds or play the kit well. Loud cymbals and hot hi hats clutter the mix. Even when I get them great kits to play 50% of the time it doesn't help. After reviewing countless cd's they bring me I have looked to sound replacer. Most of the Blink, Finch and NFG stuff sounds replaced. Every hit is the same.a nd I've seen some of them live...no way guys....You can try to distress the **** of kik and snare and put that back in the mix. I like to replace. Plus ...listen to allot of the mixes of the big boys...sounds like my ssl compressor...10:1..auto....5db down.
Tim
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by TML
bjornson-
I've done about 30 punk-pop ep's this year. Most of the kids are young and have know concept of how to get good sounds or play the kit well. Loud cymbals and hot hi hats clutter the mix. Even when I get them great kits to play 50% of the time it doesn't help. After reviewing countless cd's they bring me I have looked to sound replacer. Most of the Blink, Finch and NFG stuff sounds replaced. Every hit is the same.a nd I've seen some of them live...no way guys....You can try to distress the **** of kik and snare and put that back in the mix. I like to replace. Plus ...listen to allot of the mixes of the big boys...sounds like my ssl compressor...10:1..auto....5db down.
Tim
Where do you source the sounds you replace with? recommend any sample CD's?
thanks
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was afraid you guys would start with that evil "replace" word. problem is, no one had the forethought to do any single note samples when the kit was up, so i'd have to reverse engineer the wheel, which i'm sure is not in the budget... maybe i'll be the good guy and have him bring his lil' orange county set in and do it on the house. Still hoping for some additional comments on this brand of production though, as i'm from the days when "punk" meant the germs, x and negative approach, not 20 stacked harmonies. The drum crush is really amazing, if a little on the unbelievable side. I'll try distressors, ssl comps and dbx 160s, before I try any plugs and see how it goes.
I'm just trying to give the people what they want.
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by TML
bjornson-
Plus ...listen to allot of the mixes of the big boys...sounds like my ssl compressor...10:1..auto....5db down.
Tim
I totally agree with this, I'm always hankering after that Quad comp sound when I haven't got access to one...... This is why my next gearslut purchase is going to be an Alan Smart C2.......
*looking round as I type to see 'what can go'*......
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do a ton of this type of stuff and use kick and snare samples and do a ton of kick and snare mults with different compressors/eq's. Normally room mics run thru a fatso in spank mode. Kick and snares go to dbx 160s... for the pop sound and something else for some sustain.... and snare gets a little distortion to add some size and sizzle.

Its all about using tons of mults and samples (at least for me). I feel I get pretty close to a lot of the stuff guys bring in musically (new found glory, boxcar, finch, blah blah) but cant ever get the vocals as 'effexy' and processed sounding as something like blink 182. Im definetly getting something eventide soon for vox.
Old 21st March 2003
TML
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Right know I'm using Joey Kramer and Clearmountain volume. Kramer cd sucks cause there aren't enough single samples...but a couple of snares work well...especially underneath another sound. Clearmountain doesn't process his samples much. They need to be shot through a 1073 and a distressor...or a ssl 384. Anyway...sometimes yah gotta bite the bullet and replace. Thats life...for me anyway...the older dudes I work with think I just wasted 800 bucks for 2 custom 10 ply maple snare...but I don't care...once in a while someone can hit them right...and there hope for all those travis barker orange county followers.
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Those sample CD's suck ass. I tracked Travis (Blink/Transplants/Boxcar) late last year, and I have to say that 95% of his sound comes from him and his kit(s) that his tech tweeks and sometimes actaully constructed to perfection. Seriously, I mostly used 2 Coles as OH's and a U87 as a room mic, and that was about it. I was on a 9098 and had the regulars set up and recorded on the individual drums, but quite honestly, we barely used them. The way he rimshots tends to sound like a natural compression and he plays extremely hard. Soundreplacing would prove difficult but not impossible. But instead of buying a $100 peice of **** drum sample cd from banjomart that's many moons old, drop $100 on current cd's looking for open samples you can 'gank'. It would prove much more useful, current, and viable.

Tell your drummer if he doesn't already sound like these guys when he plays that at minumum, you'll have to rent a kit that can cut it. Drum Doctors always comes through for me, no matter how much the band bitches about going overbudget.
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
E-cue, that must have been cool to work with Travis Barker. I'm not a huge Blink/Transplants or Boxcar fan, but LOVE the Aquabats.

Anyway, the studio I work at does a ton of pop-punk sorta stuff and from what I've seen we almost never use samples. We do the standard drum mic setup, but with three room mics as well. A pair of AT4060's (i think) in stereo in front of the kit and (my favorite) a Telefunken U47 in front, getting smashed by an 1176 with the top two ratio buttons pushed in. I think part of the key to our good "punk" sound (whatever that is) is that we take a lot of time tuning the drums and getting everything cherry before tweaking the mics, etc. I dunno, we have a sweet sounding room and I'm sure that helps as well...

Ian
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
E-Que... What is the 9098 like?... i have seen so much advocay from fletcher it seems like the fantasy island of consoles.. is it true?. ALso was that @ the new room @ Cello?

RE: Punk.

1: PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2: KIT.. good kiks and snares help here!

Smashin snares... SPECTRASONICS 610.. all owners should be given a license to us one of them. Nothin else on earth like it!

1176 4 buttons spanking the room. also great and very tried and tru sound on a snare or snare mult.. most common snare comp i can hear on record i think. but Still rocks ya socks!

Keyed gates on room mics

Gates on snare mults

Neve 2264's.. just pure sublime neve action

Distressor .. is possibly one of the best snr comps around. I dont like it much on vox etc but for snares and electric GTRS... watchout!

DBX 160x.. possibly the most underated compressor around that is still dirt cheap and there are heaps of them around. I think this one is gona be a sleeper folks.. stock up now!

And of course 'Al Smart C2' over the mix... i think this is a huge part of the sound people are chasing in this genre.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 21st March 2003
TML
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Forget the killer punk sound...it's over anyway. It was a nice pop fad for a couple years. It's all EMO baby!!! You gotta hear all the bands prech how their really not punk..their rock....as Drive-thru drops all their punk acts.heh
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought the latest fad for teens was "Nu Enya"...
it's a real battle to get those heavenly layers sussed..
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
E-Que... What is the 9098 like?... i have seen so much advocay from fletcher it seems like the fantasy island of consoles.. is it true?. ALso was that @ the new room @ Cello?

PEACE
Wiggy
9098 was disappointing. The mic pre's were awesome. This console is the cleanest analog board I think I've ever worked on. Compression and Gates on it SUCKED. My heart sank when I had to use this bs computer virtual dynamics crap on it (keep in mind, I love the Neve Capricorn). The EQ's sound extremely passive and clean. I didn't like the "notch" on them (an actual setting), and had to struggle to find bandwidths that I was comfortable. This is great for a Celen Dion or Barbra Steisand record, but I couldn't see myself using it on a Rock or Hip Hop/ R&B record without a really good outboard rack. The monitoring section gave me the impression that you could master a record through it. The channel and montoring faders are automatable, but I never didn't anything other than rough mixes on the board.

It was at a place called Glenwood Place in Burbank down the street from Encore (er, on, you guessed it, Glenwood Place), which as I understand it, has since ripped it out in place of a 9K. Great studio, nice vibe, great (current) tech staff.
Old 23rd March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I've heard amazing things about the 9098 bussing, "cleaner then anything" are words that I've heard thrown around many times. Never had the chance to use one, but I've been in a room with one and heard quite a few records off one.

The whole pop punk sound is a piccolo through a Distressor or a 160VU. Add a little EQ, cut at 400, boost the top a bit and high pass up to 100 or so and your in the ballpark if the player is. If you don't use a piccolo snare and want a bit more meat grab something big like a 6x14 or 7x14 and crank the heads until they're about to rip apart. Personally I'm kinda tired of that sound even though it is/was pretty cool.

I've had the chance to track a few OCDP snares and kits and they're all built like ****. One drummer was bragging about how his $1200 snare was amazing. He ended up using my $60 Yohaha on half the tunes and it was his choice! The overall QC and attention to detail on those kits sucks donkey dick. I actually saw one of their 30-ply snares de-laminate in the middle of a session, the inner 10 plys fell right out. And the lack of spacers on the lugs really blows. I'd rather get a GMS, Spaun or Maryland kit if I was in the market for high dollar maple.
Old 8th May 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yikes! I'm tracking two of the head builders form OCDP this weekend, they're close friends, and would be CRUSHED to read the QC statement. I can't speak for all of their builders, but these two cats have a passion for their work. In my personal experiences, every piece of kit produced by them has been top-notch. I'm sure Ray Luzier and/or Travis Barker would say the same.

My 2 anyhow.
πŸ“ Reply