Quantcast
BeesNeez Studio Series "Jade" - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BeesNeez Studio Series "Jade"
Old 7th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow that river song could be awsome with a real band backing you up... The guitar is great. Pick up a suitcase and start hammering the beat and build up the mix with only acoustic instruments. Very cool song. I think the mic sound very nice.

The mic sound controlled and unhyped. Almost like a mixture of a akg 414 meets gefell utm70s but warmer, more comfy, tubey. I dig! I'm sure that mic will look candy when you are finished with the transformation. Wow! Cool thanks for sharing the music.
Old 8th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver ➑️
wow that river song could be awsome with a real band backing you up... The guitar is great. Pick up a suitcase and start hammering the beat and build up the mix with only acoustic instruments. Very cool song. I think the mic sound very nice.

The mic sound controlled and unhyped. Almost like a mixture of a akg 414 meets gefell utm70s but warmer, more comfy, tubey. I dig! I'm sure that mic will look candy when you are finished with the transformation. Wow! Cool thanks for sharing the music.
Hey Thanks Man!!
Yeah I play with a drummer who is a real freak!! and another guitar player also who is a very good player, and a real good composer too...we swap around on gtr and bass.
I'll get him them to play on the later versions, I like to compose alone tho...but develop the song with the other guys...the drummer can play anything (and I mean anything) he plays awesome tablas too LOL!!
So yeah I'll do that down the road sometime soon.
The mic is too cool!! its just amazing...you can almost feel that tube burning...a sort of soft glow to the tone, with a lot of low end response!
F!!!##!!....I JUST LOVE IT!! LOL!!
But then I am a nut case I guess!
I Just ordered a U47 Clone today!
I'll get an Avedis Ma5 next to go with the 99v..I love the tone of that thing...very heavy transformer sound.
Then after that I will see a shrink and get some serious help LOL

Wish I could get to hear the Para 1 ...Ben?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Dag Astroman,
you got a nice set of tar tar.
I love red picks too. They have just enough give, yet just enough snap to really let you feel what you are letting out of the string.
Nice song, it reminds me of what I would have thought Tom Waits would have sounded like, until I actually heard how he sounds. . . Now I need a shrink too. So does he I guess. I like the mic too. Sounds very user friendly. Thanks for posting that. I'll post a tune when I get my Jade.

Sharkthumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus ➑️
Dag Astroman,
you got a nice set of tar tar.
I love red picks too. They have just enough give, yet just enough snap to really let you feel what you are letting out of the string.
Nice song, it reminds me of what I would have thought Tom Waits would have sounded like, until I actually heard how he sounds. . . Now I need a shrink too. So does he I guess. I like the mic too. Sounds very user friendly. Thanks for posting that. I'll post a tune when I get my Jade.

Sharkthumbsup
Ha ha Cool
Yeah the set took a while to build up, I bought and sold so many to get the set right...most of them have been customized in one way or another...or built from raw parts.(part of being a nutbag I guess)
Your description of give and snap on the pics is perfect, they are the only picks I like, they are orange (almost red) I like em kinda sharp in the beginning cause blunt ones dont respond that well to faster playing.

Actually meeting Ben was the worst day of my life.
Now I have been broke ever since...this is no good at all, I was getting close to being sane again, then I heard his mics and it was all over!!
LOL!!! My wife has been very understanding!

yeah I like Tom...he's a kind of a wreck...sort of appeals to me.
I mixed that track slightly on the flatter side so people can hear the mic...probably when I do it finally I'll give it a little more around 10k and roll of at 240 hz...to make it more "today" LOL!!
Cheers
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ben, sent you e-mail

Cheers

Matti
Old 9th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ben,
What is the 47 Clone? Is it different from all the other mics you are making now?

Can you post some photos...and when will it be ready?

Est. pricing?

Thanks.
Mick
Old 10th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR74 ➑️
Ben,
What is the 47 Clone? Is it different from all the other mics you are making now?

Can you post some photos...and when will it be ready?

Est. pricing?

Thanks.
Mick
Hi Mick
Ben's probably tied up meeting all his orders...so until he replies, I hope this helps.
Its a U47 Clone ...in the same league sound wise as the Wagner or Wunder...but with pad, roll off and multi patterns
(maybe not presented as elaborately as the Wunder CM7 etc... which has a really nice shell ...badge and packaging.)
Its definitely a more expensive mic to buy than the Jade or James...but you will have to speak to Ben about that!
I heard it...and I love it, thats why I ordered one LOL!!
Its very organic...open, smooth top end, with a full low end but not muddy at all, perfect for what I want!!!
It should make a perfect partner to my Bees Neez 6072A mic
Thru the 99v ...and hopefully soon an MA5...its heaven!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Astro...

Thanks for the response. Do you have any idea when it will be available to us other slutz?

Thanks,
mick
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Also, does this happen to be the "MAX" or is it an entirely new creation? Thanks.

Mick
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR74 ➑️
Also, does this happen to be the "MAX" or is it an entirely new creation? Thanks.

Mick

Hi Guys, The mic will be named after my 3 year old daughter "Tha Arabella". This mic isn't the Max, it is a totally differetn beast.

I had no plans in building this style of microphone but after many requests, i have decided to make it part of the lineup. I will be posting some pics this week.

The Arabella will have a Telefunken EF12 (just like the Wagner u47w and the Wunder CM7), a K47 Capsule and a Cinemag 2461NICO Transformer (same as the BV8).

I am not designing this mic to be a 47 clone. It will share a common heritage as far as components go but it will have the added feature mutiple patterns, pad and a sibilance roll off switch.

The Arabella will be priced at $1350USD, a far cry from the 7 - 8k being asked for other microphones using these same components!

As always, i guarantee it will stand proud amongst any of the clones, if not you can have your money back!!.

Cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ben,

Thanks for the response. sounds like a winner to me, especially since I am considering mics in the $1500-3500 range.

can't wait to see the pick.

Thanks for such a fast response.

mick
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sorry, can't wait to see the pics....

mick
Old 11th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
exciting times

Ben, shipping to the US, what is that running, i am in the eastern part of the country outside pittsburgh, pa?

just curious

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock ➑️
exciting times

Ben, shipping to the US, what is that running, i am in the eastern part of the country outside pittsburgh, pa?

just curious

thanks

All shipping to the USA is 130 inc Insurance.

Cheers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks alot Ben

let us know when you have some pics of this new one, very cool

i will be interested in this one for sure

thanks
Old 12th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi, Ben!

What is the big difference between Arabella and a TM-1?

Also, enough with the u47-ish mics, already. Move on to C12/251, or beyond, immediately! The 1940's are long since past - for modern day radio pop I can not use those dark and strangely voiced mics on vocals... :-)

Keep the good work up!

Best,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➑️
Hi, Ben!

What is the big difference between Arabella and a TM-1?

Also, enough with the u47-ish mics, already. Move on to C12/251, or beyond, immediately! The 1940's are long since past - for modern day radio pop I can not use those dark and strangely voiced mics on vocals... :-)

Keep the good work up!

Best,

Ok i Promise, no more old mics, NOT. Next i was thinking of a charcoal and mica marble block heh. just kidding.

I am just about to start working on a toppypoppy doodah, you better buy the first one!!!!

Here is a picture of the inside of the Arabella

BeesNeez Studio Series "Jade"-100_2690.jpg

And to answer the other post re; differences and similarity to the Pearlman TM1.

The Arabella Uses the same Tube and Capsule as the TM1 but that is the only similarity.

The Arabella has a different circuit allowing for 9 polar patterns, 10db pad and a sibilance roll off (the pearlman has a roll off similar to this though the Arabella's is not as agressive, it's a personal preference thing). The Arabella is also housed in a much smaller body as i am not a huge fan of huge mics (again a personal thing).

The other Major difference between the two is the Arabella has a Cinemag 2461NICO Output transformer (huge in size and in sound)....(+24db huge) and i also use amazing NOS German Capacitors.

I do want to say that dave is a great friend of mine, I am not trying to steal his thunder, the Pearlman is a great mic, i wasn't actually planning to build a mic with the EF12 but alas, i have fallen to the pressure and decided what the hell.

The Arabella may at times have a waiting period as the tubes are getting rare and harder to find.

I haven't built this mic as a clone, it has many other modern features thus increasing it's usability.

Let me know what you think of the guts.....

cheers
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Will you be having some samples of how it sounds anytime soon?
Female vox, acoustic guitar, pleeeease

Hope James will be here soon. Should everything's fine with it, I feel that I will be further expanding my Australian built gear, which proofs to be excellent sound and built quality wise. There must be something in the climate there....I guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Ben

I second the idea of a 12 type mic, i have a cv-12 from avantone and that nice, um, i guess more trebly sound is really great on a lot of sources

more than anything i think it would compliment greatly what you are already offering

keep up the good work and keep us posted

will you have pics up soon of the new arabella complete?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To my amateur eyes, the Arabella innards look a lot like the TM-1...

I would love to buy one of your mics. I think they offer amazing bang for buck, but I am no fan of the u47 sound, it seems... So, if you come up with a modern sounding mic, like Brauner VMX, Manley, C800g, Soundelux/Tele USA 251 - I am all in! ...maby even for the first copy, if you have some soundfiles to show for it :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can we expect you to A/B Arabella with a TM-1? It seems a good reference, partly since many people have heard it... The old one with the Peluso Cap, then, I guess...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➑️
Can we expect you to A/B Arabella with a TM-1? It seems a good reference, partly since many people have heard it... The old one with the Peluso Cap, then, I guess...

I think a better comparison would be the arabella AB'd with a U47 and also a u47w. I will be arranging this over the next week or so. cheers
Old 13th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mics ➑️
I think a better comparison would be the arabella AB'd with a U47 and also a u47w. I will be arranging this over the next week or so. cheers
Ok...This is where my interest gets peaked.

Had Gunters beautiful beast rubbing noses with an exceptional original specimen.......His creation has a truckload of serious class

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow! Bold statements! Great! :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi all,

Just to explain a few things.

The reason I would rather AB against a U47W and a U47 original is in no way a belittlement of the TM!, Dave is a personal friend of mine and he builds a beautiful bunch of mics, i just think that if you are all to hear it against the real thing and new real thing then you will be able to make an educated decision as to which way to go. I do though think that you all will be smitten when you hear the Arabella.

I think i will post blind samples first to let you all hear them, then 24 hours later i will edit the post to identify the mics, what do you think, should i do it this way for a bit of fun, or should i just post the identities straight up? My main reason for the blind is that i think it will give your ears the chance to decide rather than your desires.

In the AB's, the Arabella may not sound exactly like the U47 or the U47W, but bear in mind, i am not building a clone. The Arabella shares a similar basic signal chain (capsule, Tube and Transformer) as the Wagner and the 47, but the circuit and features are different.

Just to let you all know, The same money back guarantee applies on the Arabella and so does the lifetime warranty however, i will be reducing the warranty of the tube to 2 years. this is due to the high cost and decreasing availability of the tube (ef12), don't think that it means these tubes are unreliable, they are a very robust and great microphone tube.

I am already recieving order for the Arabella ( people are either trusting in my QC and Sound or relying on the moeny back guarantee heh) seriously though, The Arabella will be readily available for the first 25 orders however after that the waiting list grow and be part as well as time dependant.

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Please bear in mind that the Arabella will look great and sound wonderful, but due to the ever tensioning Global financial climate, it will never look as good as the Beta test Prototype heh. (proud dad)

BeesNeez Studio Series "Jade"-100_2681.jpg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will the U47 & U47w mics you will be including alongside the Arabella be Phil Punch's?

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blind samples are fun.

Mike
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Please bear in mind that the Arabella will look great and sound wonderful, but due to the ever tensioning Global financial climate, it will never look as good as the Beta test Prototype heh. (proud dad)

Attachment 106624
As a proud father of a daughter, as well, I am certain it will be never possible for anything in the Universe to match that sort of betas ...

Blind test will be great. Takes out a lot of 'great legacy' factors. Please, do so.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blind tests are nice. Smokes some of the wind-bags out. :-)

I have a prototype of a similar age, produced in 2005, but, due to a 9 month manufacturing hold-up, delivered in 2006, February 16. I like to call her Elin. Any chance of a mic by that name? ;-) I have a 99 model, Hanna, as well and a 01 Martin, so your choice is big! :-D
πŸ“ Reply