Quantcast
I´m in Madrid, Spain...what should I see? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I´m in Madrid, Spain...what should I see?
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I´m in Madrid, Spain...what should I see?

Any ideas? I´m visiting friends. Any studios I should attempt to check out?

Thanks for any (good) suggestions.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go and see Real Madrid play at the Bernebau. I think you would find it to be an experience you won't have ever witnessed before, seriously!
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just hang onto your wallet!!

Aside from that, I remember there being a really cool handmade acoustic guitar shop on one of the sidestreets near the Prada and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a nylon string while I was there.
Old 20th March 2003
London, on your way back?

Old 20th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast
I remember there being a really cool handmade acoustic guitar shop on one of the sidestreets near the Prada and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a nylon string while I was there.
I think I know the shop of which you speak; it's truly a drool-worthy place.

The obvious landmarks--Parque del Retiro, Prado--are worth it.

Overall, though, I think the best fun to be had there is just hanging out in non-famous places. I lived in Sevilla for a while, and went to Madrid often. I miss it.....
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Flamenco! check out some Flamenco. Women and guitars, what more can you ask for? El Corral de La Moreria is one of the best places. Its below the Viaduct past the Palacio Real.

If you can get south for a few days, Cordoba and Granada both have whole streets where every shop is a guitar shop one more amazing than the next - in each one a Master is assembling guitars right there on his bench.

I agree with Crazy Beast about the pickpockets. They work in teams. I'm a New Yorker, so they didn't get me, but they sure tried.
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
[i]The obvious landmarks--Parque del Retiro, Prado--are worth it.[/B]
They are right next to each other. The art in the Prado is highlighted by Greco, Velasquez and Goya.

Also hanging out around the Plaza Mayor is great for Spanish culture. Eat at Botin's just outside the Plaza. Hemingway wrote about it. It has the oldest oven in Europe. I recommend the roasted lamb.

Also take a short train ride to see the ancient walled city of Toledo. Another train will take you to Segovia, which has a Roman aquaduct, castle and cathedral.
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'll second the Real Madrid suggestion. The stadium and the atmosphere are spectacular, and they're playing deportivo this sunday, so there's probably still time to get tickets.

The bullfight at las ventas is also worth a look if you're getting homesick for the gearslutz/recpit vibe, and there are some great bars in the area north of gran via, towards Malasana (some of that area can be dodgy, but it's worth it for the great drinks!)

if you have any time though, head south - seville's a 3 hour train journey away, and is just amazing...
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Muchas gracias, senores.

My friends will review the suggestions. I speak just enough Spanish to create true havoc on my own. We are bound for Madrid tommorrow from Aranjuez, the town I am staying in, which is beautiful in it´s own right.

I mentioned the pickpocket issue and my friends agreed. Thanks for the heads up.

Any studios of note?

Regards,
Brian T
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…