Quantcast
Anyone who has used or uses the AKG K240 headphones... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone who has used or uses the AKG K240 headphones...
Old 2nd November 2008
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Anyone who has used or uses the AKG K240 headphones...

I have had the AKG K240 headphones for a couple of months now and I have a question for those of you who have used them or use them. Do you find that the bass is lacking a bit? I always find that I don't hear the bass very well on these headphones. If I press the headphones against my ears so they are tighter then the bass improves quite dramatically. Maybe it's just me but I was wondering if it's a common thing and if you have learned to mix the bass differently when listening on these headphones (I rarely mix on heaphones but sometimes I have to when the family is asleep).
Old 2nd November 2008
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Which model do you have? I've found the K240DM to be a bit boomy with extra bass when pressed against your head. The K240DF is light on bass by design and emulates a flat near / mid-field monitor.

Sky
Old 2nd November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm actually not sure what model it is, it just says K240 Studio on the sides.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mine (old, all-black model) are just the way i like it. bass is clear but not over-emphasized.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been using these for over 2 decades and me and my clients love them. Maybe I have a huge head but the bass seems fine to me but I do prefer the older models.

However, I would never mix with these. These are only use for tracking. When it comes to mixing on headphones I use my sennheisers HD650's or 600's
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that's all we used..i remember that rockers hated them as the weren't loud enuff and the r&b cats liked them..i always thought they were a little edgy .but i have a tiny peanut head so they were never tight on my ears to make the bass correct...

christ..when ya mentioned them MEMORIES..as an assitant it was my job to clean the afro sheen off them after every tracking session..thank god hair care has chaged since the late 70's..every time i see 'Coming to America" where they get up from the couch i ROLMFAOhehhehhehheh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use these in my studio and love them.

alexP
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I heard the Sony MD-7506 heaphones and they sounded a lot better to me. They do seem to wrap around the ears better though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OMG I forgot about the old 80's Afro sheen. Sometimes that stuff was terrible to clean but it gave the phones a nice armor all look Now we use the same stuff most tattoo artist use to clean up with. Strips everything and they smell hospital clean. For some reason that seems to frighten some people...LOL
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think the K240S is a modern replacement for the K240M. (I called these DMs by mistake in my previous post.)

I used the K240M for years and generally liked them, but often pressed the cans tight against my ears as the sound field was a bit unpredictable otherwise. Then I switched to the K240DF and never looked back. The DF is very different from the other 240 models and also discontinued unfortunately with no replacement yet.

Sky
Old 6th November 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond ➑️
I have had the AKG K240 headphones for a couple of months now and I have a question for those of you who have used them or use them. Do you find that the bass is lacking a bit? I always find that I don't hear the bass very well on these headphones. If I press the headphones against my ears so they are tighter then the bass improves quite dramatically. Maybe it's just me but I was wondering if it's a common thing and if you have learned to mix the bass differently when listening on these headphones (I rarely mix on heaphones but sometimes I have to when the family is asleep).
Yes, I also find that the bass is lacking. I don't use it for mixing, really, I find it not detailed enough.
Old 6th November 2008 | Show parent
Dan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like them, they're a good balance to the 7506's which are pretty hyped imo. I don't use headphones for critical listening though, just a quick reference.
Old 6th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I mixed several hours of live music with around 26 tracks going on K240DFs before and was suprised how well I nailed it. I have no experience with the other 240s but I do reccomend the 240dfs. I think they were made for german radio stations or something like that. They sound pleasant and flat and not very upfront.
Old 6th November 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond ➑️
When my K240's broke I tried a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50's. I think you would be very happy doing the same. The bass is much more accurate in my opinion.
Old 7th November 2008 | Show parent
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by firby ➑️
I mixed several hours of live music with around 26 tracks going on K240DFs before and was suprised how well I nailed it. I have no experience with the other 240s but I do reccomend the 240dfs. I think they were made for german radio stations or something like that. They sound pleasant and flat and not very upfront.
Firby, I've probably mentioned this in old posts, but the magic of the DF is best summarized here:

"The K240 DF follows the criteria specified by the Institute of Radio Technology (IRT) in Munich for a 'diffuse field' equalization curve that provides headphone listeners with the sound pattern, characteristic of a room with reflective, non-anechoic surfaces."

AKG really nailed the DF for headphone-based mixing IMHO, and I was sad to learn when it was discontinued. At Winter NAMM last year I spoke with an AKG rep who suggested that a replacement is at best on the radar.

To relate all this back to the original question, the K240M is a good headphone for cue monitoring but I would never recommend it as a substitute for monitors when mixing. On the other hand the K240DF can absolutely work for mixing, with all the necessary caveats about checking the mix on multiple sources. I sometimes set up a mix in the cans - usually in the wee hours - before having the chance to listen on near fields the next day.

Sky
eor
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
my problem with them was their durability, not the bass response. wish they hadn't fallen apart, as they were awesome.

love,
eor
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just bought a pair of these and they're very comfortable. They don't dish out as much bass as my Beyer DT990s but they're not too far off.

Definitely a tracking headphone and not for mixing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sigma reminded me of why I bought my K 240 DF's in the first place some 20 years ago. Lol. As a session keyboard hire, I grew weary of the 40 wt. hair lube on the side of my face and ordered the cans. I still use them today and they sound great.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't recommend the AKG 240's for tracking, myself... as they are open backed and bleed into the mic is a concern.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee ➑️
I wouldn't recommend the AKG 240's for tracking, myself... as they are open backed and bleed into the mic is a concern.
Makes me wonder why they're the studio standard then. What cans would you recommend?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use ATH-M40fS myself, for tracking: Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-M40fs : Precision Studiophones

I like the AKG 240's for casual hi-fi listening.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is true, but... I've found that singers like them a lot and can "hear" themselves better with the open back. My 240S's broke within the first year- some sort of defective part. I didn't move on it for another year. Then I talked to the guys at AKG in Nashville and they fixed them for free- even after all that time had passed. Pretty cool.

As far as bass, I was forced one time to track and mix a tune entirely on these headphones. The tune ended up having one of the tightest, punchiest bass sounds I've ever achieved. Like someone mentioned, you hear the bass and it sounds balanced, but never exaggerated. That being said, I would never choose to mix on them... maybe if that was the only way I ever heard music and was used to how they sound in a bunch of different circumstances.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica ➑️
This is true, but... I've found that singers like them a lot and can "hear" themselves better with the open back.
I hope you don't work with a click track...
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really find you need a lot of different headphones around to keep folks happy.

I've gone through tons of AKGs over the years. they take the abuse and sound good. Yeah, I think they are a little short of bass the people seem to want to bear bass these days. Which is usually over the top to my taste. But whoever said they sound great for general listening gets my vote. The DFs in particular sound really nice.

Never had much use for the Sony's. At least hear they don't last. They are very clear and articulate, with a nice fit Good for some vocalists so I keep a couple around. a little bright for me.

I got turned on to AT cans last year, they seem to work well for a lot of people, and they last

I keep a pais of Sehhheiser 260s and some Fostex T20s around as well....good for drums and bass.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Had to chime in here as a long time DF user (Going on 20 years, come to think of it! And they were a revelation to me when I first got them...). There is no comparison to the other 240 models. Not even sure why they have the same model number. Maybe I just like them because they don't seem to hype anything, and just sound "natural" to me. Maybe I like them because they sound most like the "ear" version of my good 'old JBL 4408's? (Also just shy of 20 years there. Yikes, I'm old...!) Bummer that both the DF's and the 4408's were discontinued, so I've had to look to eBay and Craigslist for replacements. I have two broken pairs of 240 DF's waiting to be fixed someday, while I try to treat my one working pair gently. But I would agree that you can NEVER use a click while tracking with the 240's. I've learned that the hard way...

Although I did briefly try a pair of new Audio Technicas (I think?) at AES last year (2007) that seemed pretty groovy and natural sounding, and probably more efficient, too...

(and 7506's suck ass, but they're great for tracking. And clients like the way they sound. But one should never make EQ decisions while listening to them...)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have about 6 pairs of akg 240 headphones. 3 of the six are working. They are pretty good. Ok sounding. Not great but good. Not reel tough,but ok. I can repair them pretty well. I really like The sound of Sennheiser headphones. Had some 540's. Number might be off and They would come un snapped, but the sound was very good. I wonder if the 280h are as good sounding?
Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of 280 on right now/ they sound great, and are built. I wish the weren't quite so....umm...Teutonic in their build yhough. They are a little clumky on the head. As far as Sennheisser goes...I LOVE the way to HD255s sound. closed...and they sit on top of your ear, not over it.

Probably the best model headphones I have ever worn....light, confortable. Now...if they would explain to me the logic behind the cheesy 10 foot cord on 150.00 cans....
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
@Innerbooty;

K240DF and JBL 4406 here. :-) I have the same experience with mixes translating fairly well between the two. Sky
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I hope you don't work with a click track...
Not usually on vocals, no. So the open backs work well in that regard. I've used them while tracking other things with click, but you're right, you do have to watch the click level- mostly during breaks and at the end of a tune.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Never even tried AKG 240. I was afraid using them for tracking because they are semiopen. So for tracking my own vocals or acoustic guitars I use some old Sennheissers intended for DJ. They should isolate for sounds from the outside, but I find they work well the other way too with minimal bleeding into the microphone.

The don't sound too good, but that is overcome by using a headphone amp with bass/treble control. I just adjust until they track sounds pleasant. This is for tracking, and not monitoring so it doesn't matter how well they translate.

For monitoring I use Sony 7506, hyped maybe. But I mainly mix on monitors and just check with headphones occasionally to get a different sonic picture. But yes I have often wondered whether mixing on headphones with a more flat response could be an alternative, if your room acoustics are not ideal.
πŸ“ Reply