The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Performance Issues
Old 18th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Drum Performance Issues(revised)

hmmm. let me try this again.

Has anyone had to deal with a bad drummer with significant uneven snare hits?

If so, how did you deal with it?

Is it possible to hack it into submission in protools in a way that satisfies you or do you just live with it?

as an example: There is talk of stripping silence and normalizing. With the noise in the track due to poor tracking (my bad) it seems like it would weird things out a bit.

anyone?
Old 18th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm trying to ask this inteligently enough to warrant a response.

When you have a selection of snare hits that are uneven and compression/eq is set, the softer hits tend to mellow and lack the punch and ability to cut through. In the past, I have just found a setting and lived with it. However, what can be done to solve this?
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sound replacer, as a mult, with the original compressed snare blended in, unless ther is enough of it in the OH or Room mics.

I usally get the drummer to play 4 or 5 single hits at varing volumes before getting a session going( or right after a change ) getting a session going so that I have samples of the actual player and kit to use while relacing. The most important thing IMHO is to take the time to go in and fix SRs timing problems, then it can work great!

The problem I hav with normalizing hits is that the ambience comes with it, and 95% of the time it screws with the cymbals and hats too much for me.

Oh, and the intellegence ( bad word to misspell ) of your question had nothing to do with it, i am just getting "in" from work...
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks Steve!
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No problem, how did it work out?
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I did it on the kick and it worked great. I haven't tried it with multing on the snare yet but will.

I did play with a gate some and that was way cool. I had always used the max reduction on a gate and found a suggestion in the archives for using a mild reduction in order not to kill all of the bleed and resonance. I used a 20db reduction and that was real cool. Much more natural but still cleaned up the track.

I want to use a hit from this track as when he DOES hit it hard, it sounds killer (the old cheap snare thing). I guess I will have to find a hit with as little cymbal and noise as possible.

I should get it done tonight and will let you know.
Thanks again
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
On a session last year, the snare track got messed up from the original basic session at another studio my client went to. The recording engineer didn't catch it and we were left with a snare track that was very messed up. We brough in the drummer with his snares he used on the session. Sampled them and then created a sound replacer mult track to blend with the original. We took the sound replacer track and smacked it with a compressor and blended that in with the original tracks. It worked great. In fact, it a good technique to really fatten up drum sounds.
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
That's what Steve told me and I dunno, it seemed a little weird. (Steve, reflection on my ignorance on the issue, not directed towards you) Now you have the other thread on sound replacer going and it is beginning to seem like 'everyone' does it.

I did that with the kick, pulling one from another session that went well. The snare wasn't that bad, it just wasn't consistent and by the time I got enough compression and EQ for it to sound ok all the time, it seemed like I got phasing on the really hard hits. The kit also depends on the abience of the snare to 'work' and until Steve mentioned multi it, I didn't see it working.

I wanted to use his snare for relational issues... he freaked on the kick replacement, but it was neccessary. Made him feel like he was "playing a synth"(quote). I kept the original track but a made a dup. and normalized it. I then stuck a gate with just a little reduction to reduce the ambient noise on the track and that seems to be working.

I appreciate the help. I see that I need to improve my management/tracking efforts pronto.
Thanks
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Here is a link to some of the songs that I mentioned the sound replace technique we used.

http://www.broadjam.com/artistprofil...?artistID=1807
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The link got screwed up when I put it in. Try this.

http://www.broadjam.com/artistprofil...?artistID=1807
Old 23rd March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I usually just compress the hell out of it with a mult first and then the individual track if it needs it. From there I'm not ashamed to use lots of EQ and an expander to tame the hat or whatever if the EQ brings it out too far. If I need to go really far with it, I'll mult the snare track to a gate and get just the blip, from there I'll trigger a sample from an Alesis D4 and use that on the 2 & 4 or wherever needed to reinforce the original snare, not to replace it.
πŸ“ Reply