Quantcast
help identify this 6 channel 70's british preamp! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help identify this 6 channel 70's british preamp!
Old 17th March 2003
  #1
Gear Addict
 
fatty's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
help identify this 6 channel 70's british preamp!

I need some help from all you British gear slutz in identifying an item I picked up this weekend. The unit has a sticker on the side saying it was manufactured by Millbank Electronics Group in Sussex. The model number is MEX6P/XLR. It is a 2 rack space 6 x 1 mixer in a lovely shade of light brown.
The 6 mic pre’s are discrete, transformer balanced. The boards that the transformers are mounted on say PC00012 ME C (copyright symbol) JAN 1973. The controls are very simple. There is a gain pot for each channel, a master volume pot and a 3-band eq on the master. The only other items on the front panel are the on\off switch and a VU meter. The back panel consists of the 6 xlr’s for the mic inputs, one xlr output and 2 rca’s, and the power supply input. Yes, the unit requires an external power supply and of course the guy selling it didn’t have it. You don’t get much for $11 these days!
I could get it recapped and build a power supply for it, but is it worth the time and expense? Ideally I would like to have it modified so that the 6 mic pres all had direct outputs, but I’m skeptical of spending money on a unit that may well have been designed for service as a ****ty preamp for a school p.a. or something. I guess the first question I need answered is "are the transformers are any good?"
Any info would be appreciated!
Old 18th March 2003
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Nutmeg II.'s Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
John Oram claim to work for them.
Federal Signal UK
Old 19th March 2003
  #3
Gear Addict
 
fatty's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
thanks for that link. i really need to learn how to surf the net better.
anyway it seems that the unit i have is fitted with 6 of the ipa 304 mic input modules. (or at least a distant ancestor of them). designed for general purpose public adress systems. i think i will try to get the thing up and running somehow, as a complement to my presonus and behringer pre's.
Old 15th February 2005
  #4
Gear Head
 
Sway's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg II.
John Oram claim to work for them.
Federal Signal UK

How about proving your comment by posting a link...........
Old 15th February 2005
  #5
Gear Addict
 
quadwould's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Sway...
get rid of the index bit... like this
Old 15th February 2005
  #6
Gear Head
 
Sway's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by quadwould
Sway...
get rid og the index bit... like this
HUH!!!
Old 15th February 2005
  #7
Gear Addict
 
quadwould's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
click on the Word "this"

the underline means it is a link.

i chopped off the part of the link originally posted.. that has Index in it
Old 15th February 2005
  #8
Gear Head
 
Sway's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by quadwould
click on the Word "this"

the underline means it is a link.

i chopped off the part of the link originally posted.. that has Index in it

Okay, I knew that - just your message didn't make much sense.

Now that I've visted the site, what am I supposed to be getting from it, that refers to the comment about Oram working there?
Old 16th February 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Re: help identify this 6 channel 70's british preamp!

Quote:
Originally posted by fatty
I need some help from all you British gear slutz in identifying an item I picked up this weekend. The unit has a sticker on the side saying it was manufactured by Millbank Electronics Group in Sussex. The model number is MEX6P/XLR. It is a 2 rack space 6 x 1 mixer in a lovely shade of light brown.
The 6 mic pre’s are discrete, transformer balanced. The boards that the transformers are mounted on say PC00012 ME C (copyright symbol) JAN 1973. The controls are very simple. There is a gain pot for each channel, a master volume pot and a 3-band eq on the master. The only other items on the front panel are the on\off switch and a VU meter. The back panel consists of the 6 xlr’s for the mic inputs, one xlr output and 2 rca’s, and the power supply input. Yes, the unit requires an external power supply and of course the guy selling it didn’t have it. You don’t get much for $11 these days!
I could get it recapped and build a power supply for it, but is it worth the time and expense? Ideally I would like to have it modified so that the 6 mic pres all had direct outputs, but I’m skeptical of spending money on a unit that may well have been designed for service as a ****ty preamp for a school p.a. or something. I guess the first question I need answered is "are the transformers are any good?"
Any info would be appreciated!
Hi

I remember Millbank Electronics from back then, and they still exist... see here http://www.millbank.co.uk/pdf/MB_Ultima_1003_r2.pdf

They made the sort of power amps that you'd find distributing sound through buildings and suchlike. It was well designed stuff.

📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 49 views: 10219
Avatar for TheSweetener
TheSweetener 11th June 2006
replies: 117 views: 39165
Avatar for u47u67u87
u47u67u87 25th June 2015
replies: 1170 views: 260721
Avatar for t2299219
t2299219 2 weeks ago
replies: 74 views: 3633
Avatar for xxRock_Onxx
xxRock_Onxx 9th July 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump