Quantcast
Teletronix Model LA-2A....opinions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Teletronix Model LA-2A....opinions
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Teletronix Model LA-2A....opinions

I work with quite moderate gear (recently looking to invest into some more serious compressors), but could get my hands on a couple(!) of Teletronix Leveling Amplifiers Model LA-2A. I know they are famous - what for? What is their celebrated strengh, and what is their weakness? Are they maintenance intensive?What would be an average price for one unit in the US? Your valued opinions please, before I go out and buy myself a Composer T1952...heh
Old 17th March 2003
Founder

I am not sure if they will work well as mix compressors..

Can they?

Anyone know?

Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
They were designed as broadcast limiter at first, but I don't know if it would be my first choice for that application (in fact, I'm quiet confident it wouldn't be). I don't know about the price also, it might vary a lot, I think.
For to buss app, you would have to find exact sounding units wich would be even more complicate. Maintenance is rather simple, I think all the part are easy to find, and the design is simple. It is a great comp for natural vocal compressing, one of the best IMO. For more rockish style of songs, I would go for something else though ...

malice
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
In my opinion the LA2A is outstanding. Great on vocals and bass. Its brilliance is in it's ease of use and fat, warm sound. Not a day goes by that I regret buying one but every day goes by I regret not having another.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
And I have two for sale now. They are wonderful sounding comps.
๐Ÿ“ Reply