The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Today my brandnew mac died !!!!!!
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Couldn't start up or do a disk repair., couldn't even reinstall the OS
I went to the Apple service center, where they discovered that both HD's were blown!!!!!!!
Result : PT session lost.

New old model MDD 1.25 , HD120, HD 40

I reinstalled my trusty old 9600/350

Anxious waiting for the powersupply exchange program.

......... tomorrow is another day...........

Old 13th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
WOW that totally sucks ass

Is it a known fault with the power supply?
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
question that I'm almost afraid to ask...

were the sessions backed up?
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had the exact same thing happen last summer with my new G4 933.. luckily for me I was only installing PT, not running it..
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man, sad news.

This really makes me think about not upgrading my trusty 9600 to a new mac quite yet: I really want to move up to a faster machine, but am still waiting for the dust to settle on PT (6.0) and the potential package Logic/Apple will unveil forthcoming (one would assume)yuktyy

They really seem to have released some shoddy boxes as of late...
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fortunately I only transfered 1 session via ethernet to my new rig to do some
overdubs, Basic session was still in my 9600.

They replaced the 120G disk (have to wait for the other) and started again on the same disk as the OS is. 40 tracks running, so far so good.

But the NOISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE these machines produce.
I'm wondering if they can really fix it with a pair of new fans and a powersupply, because the MDD is running really hot. two to three times more than my fully loaded 9600.
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hi

Last year my realiable G3 233 died with no reason. The tech department said it was a problem with the Logic board, within the main board. I am a computer moron, I admit, but thought that all in a board stuff were only with cheap computers like my simple K6 2 450 for internet stuff. LOL
I ended up having to buy the noisy but wonderful G4 800 quicksilver, which for brzilian reality cost me half a leg. LOL
Now I ended up buying an additional G3 233, used of course, cheaper than buying the board for the older one.
Now my house looks lik a nerd Zoo. The G4, the G3, the k6 for sex stuff (LOL) and the broken G3 accumulating dust. Maybe it can function as an amaing blender

Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow........this is why i don't use a mac......your main board goes so you have to buy a whole new computer.....ridiculous!
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I admit, I'm way too chicken to upgrade my CPU. I've got an earlier model G4 running a PT HD2 TDM system. Because so much of the processing is done on the PCI cards, there's no real compelling reason to upgrade to a faster (I'm around 475 ghz, I think) model, or even go to OS X. The main speed upgrade would be on screen redraws, saving to disk, sample rate or bit rate conversions, and a few other things that I'm willing to live with the status quo.

All I know is, EVERY time I've had a major upgrade to either my computer, operating system, or Pro Tools, I've always been in for at least a month of total hell trying to get everything working correctly. To say nothing of the additional hassle (and expense!) of software upgrades, vintage software that no longer works, new copy protection hassles, non-working peripherals (like midi) etc.

So I'm staying on my old slow G4, system 9.2, and Pro Tools 5.3 until there's a REALLY compelling reason to change.
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog

All I know is, EVERY time I've had a major upgrade to either my computer, operating system, or Pro Tools, I've always been in for at least a month of total hell trying to get everything working correctly.
Amen... I hate upgrades.
📝 Reply