Quantcast
bus questions? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bus questions?
Old 11th March 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
bus questions?

okay, this is probably basic information that i should already know, but i've searched on the net for a while and i can't really find a clear explanation of what exactly a bus does on a mixing console and what you would use it for. (how's that for a run-on sentence?)

the picture in my head (taking an 8-bus for example) is you have X amount of channels. you can take whatever number of those channels and sum them up in a signal on the bus to send to tape. taking your drum tracks and summing them up into 2 channels of stereo for example. and with 8 of these channels, you send them all to an 8-track. am i close? what would you do in the case of a 24-track? are there consoles that have a 24-bus? how do you use your bus in your studio?

sorry these are such newbie questions, i've been running into brick walls wherever else i look. and i hope this is the right forum to post this question in.

anyhow, thanks much!
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are 48 bus consoles out there. You could use them for summing to tape, as a bus for a vocal/drum... sub, to mult tracks, use as aux send...
If you don't need to sum tracks to tape, you will take the direct/tape out of the individual tracks (less electronics vor a better sound).
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…