Quantcast
Studio pricing...I'm a cheap ass muther - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio pricing...I'm a cheap ass muther
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Studio pricing...I'm a cheap ass muther

Built a studio end of last year, now I'm paying the bills (just) but I've got this bad approach to music no-on else running a studio seems to, I can't help but be cheap, I get other local studios e-mailing and asking if my rates are for real, yeah.........I know i'm nuts, ..............my prob is I get on with peeps (or they take advantage) and I can't bear to charge a band money they ain't got.

The flip side is......me rates will go up (when I turn into a badboy!!)....how many of you charged nothing on systems you knew were the biggy.
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Sorry gotta add this, what would you charge for this ****...........www.ascapesuite.com http://www.ascapesuite.com

I'm a music maker not a junk yard shaker (please excuse)
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Cape
Sorry gotta add this, what would you charge for this ****...........www.ascapesuite.com http://www.ascapesuite.com

Here in NYC this room will get you between $50-$75pr hr(with an engineer).
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well I guess i'm not too cheap, but what if the engineer has credits, that are the don. Should you boast or take your time!

To be honest I enjoy fresh talent more than estabished acts......

The money money thing aint me, good quote from a friend who worked with a famous 'producer' located in Miami. The guy said to this boy band 'see this microphone cable.........that goes direct to my bank account' .........man thats cheeky!!

I need better pre's, better mic's ....but the most important thing is making my dudes at home.

Nick
London, UK
Come hang with us here!
www.ascapesuite.com
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll say this...

Those rates are attractive enough for L.A., although I am not sure how much business you would get.

Most guys I know who are serious are running most of same gear and probobly getting a similar sound. Their rigs are, I am quite certain, not as well lit as yours is.

I say this to you not to insight a nasty brawl (and if the recording studio situation in London is different then the situation here in the Holy City of The Angels, please disregard this entire post) but rather to give you some encouragement in the right direction.

I would just urge you to attempt a more subdued tone as you communicate through your website and forum posts. As it stands, your choice of words conveys a sense of self-satisfaction that some will find distasteful.

You do have some lovely gear. It would have been nice, however, to see some more exotic and interesting pieces. Some of those pics closely resembled a Sweetwater ad.
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

That room would seem good for a post/video room or something of that nature IMO. There isn't enough outboard or heavy hitting mics to thicken it up for tracking, or to sonically help the pro tools tracks that the place is relying on for mixdown. I would say $50/hr would be about right. If you want more add some Fatso's, Neve pre's, U47's/Soundelux interpretations, etc, etc....basically about another $50K (or more) of gear to get the "sound". That should put you into the $75-$100/hr range depending on staff and quality of product. If the studio isn't for music, forget about what I said and charge $150/hr.
Old 11th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I agree with Nathan.
Except
To take into account everything costing more in this stinking country I suggest dividing by 1.4 and not 1.6 to get pounds out of those figures.

(1.6 is kinda how many dollars you get for a pound nowadays - yes, visit the states before it changes!!)
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well I guess i'm not too cheap, but what if the engineer has credits, that are the don. Should you boast or take your time

Nick
London, UK
Come hang with us here!
www.ascapesuite.com

Use it as selling point, but you gotta understand that at the midlevel studios, sometimes its not enough. You are competing with elaborate home studios. They need something else to get them in.

How about for a month, for every 4 hr block you book you get an hour free. Explain to them that this hour will benefit them, for making backups(which takes a while anyway), for making a "pre master"(if you are doing this), for making different copies of mix CD's...whatever!!

Sometimes people need to be led by the hand through the recording process...and it never hurts to get anything FREE!!!heh
Old 11th March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Tough call for music.

It's basically an overdub room and project-level budget mix room. You need to be getting really good results with your engineering chops to stand out from the vast crowd of similar-level studios.

That is, unless you're doing post and have a good list of return clients, esp. large accounts.

I think your tape and amp rental rates are really low. Many pro studios in this area charge $15-25 per CD and $25-30 per DAT, at least to major accounts. Archived firewire drive backups go for about double the purchase cost. Amps go for $30-$50 per day.

As for appealing to free-lancers, in its current config it would be tough to raise rates much at your place IMO when some good SSL/Neve rooms in London can be had for very reasonable rates on off-days, certain holidays, or following a short-notice cancellation.
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting room, looks pretty, probably priced pretty well, but
you are in hell , my friend..What everyone needs to know out there in Gearslut land is that London has more studios per square mile than anywhere else in the world. And the rates quoted in the muso pubs are LOW LOW LOW !

Your best bet is to be really frickin' good, get a rep and build it up that way vs. relying on "competative rates" as you'll never survive or kill yourself doing so if you go that way.. I guarantee someone, somewhere in your town will do it cheaper. The question is will they do it better ? take 'em on !
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
He's absolutely right.

He said it nicer then I did. But he said the same thing.

Trying to sell that room isn't gonna happen. Have crazy talent and sell that.

Good luck
πŸ“ Reply