Quantcast
Help! Wackie Ultramix actually went Wackie!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help! Wackie Ultramix actually went Wackie!!!
Old 8th March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Help! Wackie Ultramix actually went Wackie!!!

Ok, I'm at the end of a mix and I'm writing in the next to last mute I'm doing which is a delay that only comes in once in the whole song. Using the fader pack, I wrote in the mute for that section and as it went by it was perfect. I hit stop on the 2" transport, saved the automation session, then went back to listen from the top before I printed the song.

For some reason the software wrote that last set of mutes as a destructive solo which muted EVERYTHING else in the song. All the tracks, all my other mutes etc. were gone!:eek: And my dumb ass didn't save that version as "Mix_Final" so I had to go back to the version that was almost two hours previous where I had done most of the mutes but no rides. Even then every fader move or mute I wrote also muted all the audio.

I ended up power cycling the computer, Motu micro express and the Ultramix gain cell. I also defragged the computers hard drive (system drive) and it seemed to go away but I kept checking each move I made and saving after confirming each one.

So what the hell happened? Has anyone else run into this? I've got a PIII 500 and I'm running version 1.13 of the Ultramix software. Was there a bug in that version or something? I've encounted general weirdness before but nothing like this.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what a drag...i've been there too.

i had a similar problem years ago while syncing/mixing with an 02r and tape. my memory is a little vague but it had something to do with the smpte time of the tape going past a certain hour/minute that freaked the digital mixer out
(after a certain point, the mixer's clock rolled over and everything went to hell...). if your tune is near the end of the 2" tape, that might be your culprit. btw, the glitch wasn't consistent which made matters more frustrating.

fwiw, i thought my "remix" was better than the one i lost...could be wishful thinking...but hey, it kept me from pounding the gear with a hammer...
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You should give the boys at Mackie a call and they will sort you out. There is a way to reset the hardware upon boot-up, but I can't recall how to do so off of the top of my head as it has been some time. I do think that it was only qualified for Windows 95 though. I don't know what you are running on your particular PC.

When you get to the receptionist, ask for Digital Product Support.
Not many of the guys at Mackie have much experience with Ultramix as it had been discontinued a long time ago. The Technical Support Manager (Pat Lambert) should still remember most of that stuff. Ask for him if the first technician seems to be grasping at straws. Tell Pat you are a friend of Kent's. He'll probably treat you like crap then! Naw, he's a good guy. Only ask for him if the first guy seems to be floundering. He is busy and doesn't really do 'support calls' any more.

If you are still having issues with your Ultramix, email me (or PM) and I'll search through my old documentation for ya!

Kent
Old 9th March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
It's not a SMPTE/timecode thing I think. It was the first song on the reel, started SMPTE at 1 hour and let it run to the end of the reel. It's coming off tape to a Motu Micro Express which is doing SMPTE to MTC on the fly, from there it's going into the computers joystick port via one of those joystick to Midi adapters. I'm running Windows 98. And, FWIW... Now when I try to open any other program like Sound Forge or Logic it takes a few tries to do. Maybe I lost a ram stick or something else is whacky. Either way, I think I'm going to format the drive and start fresh once I'm done with this project on the 18th.

Kent, I know Pat from a past life but I doubt he remembers me. What's the hardware reset? I have the manual and I don't thick it had reinitialize settings in there. I'll have to take another look tomorrow.
πŸ“ Reply