Quantcast
What's the diff? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's the diff?
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
What's the diff?

Can anyone point out the difference between these for me?

Amek 9098 Pre/EQ
Amek CIB

Also, if I am trying add some significant Neve flavor, what, besides these, would be good choices for more channels -

Vintech? Avril? Amek9098Dual?

Thanks
Robert
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: What's the diff?

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
Can anyone point out the difference between these for me?

Amek 9098 Pre/EQ
Amek CIB

Also, if I am trying add some significant Neve flavor, what, besides these, would be good choices for more channels -

Vintech? Avril? Amek9098Dual?

Thanks
Robert
The CIB is the actual channel from the 9098 mixing console(with an added analog compressor).

The 9098 pre/EQ is only the EQ section(the pre is different).

If you want Neve...than buy a Neve.

Ask a Neveslut a Neveslut question...

heh
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thrill,
Thanks! and uh.... point received.

BTW, That CIb is spendy!
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: What's the diff?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
The CIB is the actual channel from the 9098 mixing console(with an added analog compressor).

The 9098 pre/EQ is only the EQ section(the pre is different).

If you want Neve...than buy a Neve.

Ask a Neveslut a Neveslut question...

heh

not correct :

the CIB has little or nothing to do with the 9098 ... neither in pre or comp section. ... the eq section is similar I belive but not sure.

the 9098 is exaclty what it says it is ... a 9098 pre / eq based on the exact same technology used in the 9098 console. I don't think they are exactly the same as the console either but not sure.

I have never compared the 9098 modules we have with the 9098 console but I have compared them with a CIB. and there is definately a difference ... wether better or worse is a matter of taste imho. I prefer the 9098's.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I was under the impression that the CIB is an exact channel strip from a 9098, a 9098 Pre/EQ is just like what's in a 9098 and the 9098DMA is the Pre only of the 9098.

I'm looking at this mess like a deer in headlights. What the heck is goin' on with these pieces?

What do you notice differently about the 9098 Pre/EQ that you like it better?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
first of all ... I don't think that any of the tack mounted gear is 'exactly' the same as found in any of ameks consoles. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know the 9098 rack range, wether pre, or pre/eq or comp is based on the same technology used for the 9098 consoles. based on the same technology / research does not mean they use the same components.

I have never had the possibility comparing any of the rack mount units to the console ... I've only compared the CIB with the 9098 pre/eq.

Amek pre's 'colour' the sound. They are far from transparant. Wether that colour is good or bad depends from the application.
In some kinds of music will like it ... in others not ... depends on what I'm looking for.

The 9098's sound sweeter to my ears then the CIB.

As for the eq ... hard to say ... never used the eq section of the CIB seperately ....

And the comp .... never realy liked amek comp's much ... neither the 9098 we have nore the CIB. It has again nothing to do with good or bad .... just with better being out there / available.
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
first of all ... I don't think that any of the tack mounted gear is 'exactly' the same as found in any of ameks consoles. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know the 9098 rack range, wether pre, or pre/eq or comp is based on the same technology used for the 9098 consoles. based on the same technology / research does not mean they use the same components.

I have never had the possibility comparing any of the rack mount units to the console ... I've only compared the CIB with the 9098 pre/eq.

Amek pre's 'colour' the sound. They are far from transparant. Wether that colour is good or bad depends from the application.
In some kinds of music will like it ... in others not ... depends on what I'm looking for.

The 9098's sound sweeter to my ears then the CIB.

As for the eq ... hard to say ... never used the eq section of the CIB seperately ....

And the comp .... never realy liked amek comp's much ... neither the 9098 we have nore the CIB. It has again nothing to do with good or bad .... just with better being out there / available.

They are all TLA designs based on the console.

To my ears the closest are the CIB and the 9098 DMA(to the 9098I).

The 9098/EQ pre is smaller sounding and cloudier compared to the other two(I've heard it has to do with the power supply, if you change it, the sound opens up a ton).

The EQ sections on both are similar sounding(I currently own a CIB and in the past have owned a 9098pre/EQ).

All of the Amek console comps are software based(with the exception being the 9098 analog outboard comp).

They work on somethings and not on others(just like every other comp on the planet).

I like the CIB better on vocals, while I prefer the 9098 pre/EQ on Bass.

Its the horses for courses thing again.
πŸ“ Reply