Quantcast
Sony Dynamics...good as it gets - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Dynamics...good as it gets
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sony Dynamics...good as it gets

I'm demoing this plugin right now on HD and out of the gate, this is absolutely the best dynamics plug I have ever tried. Is anyone else still happy with it a couple months down the road after their purchase. I'm also impressed with the limiter. Is anyone replacing the L2 with it. Are you using the plug across your mix buss?
Across the mix buss I got the most transparent punch and level I have EVER gotten from any plug....even more than the L2. Or was all this a coincidence with the song I'm working on?

Jules, I know you've been using their stuff for a while now...thoughts? Definately worth it for a bread and butter plug?
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So far, we've been underwhelmed by most of the plugin compressors compared to good outboard units. Based on limited use, this may be the first plugin that threatens our outboard gear Tomorrow we'll put it through the torture test! The warmth setting is pretty nice too.

By the way, we finally got around to trying the Altiverb. Amazing! Mike had just been using the Yamaha outboard unit for a week straight while mixing at Avatar and after trying the Altiverb over here, likes it better. Plus we get to have all the fun of sampling cool spaces!

Zep,
MajesticMusic.com
and now
ormusic.com
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Sony Dynamics...good as it gets

Quote:
Originally posted by doug_hti
I'm demoing this plugin right now on HD and out of the gate, this is absolutely the best dynamics plug I have ever tried. Is anyone else still happy with it a couple months down the road after their purchase. I'm also impressed with the limiter. Is anyone replacing the L2 with it. Are you using the plug across your mix buss?
Across the mix buss I got the most transparent punch and level I have EVER gotten from any plug....even more than the L2. Or was all this a coincidence with the song I'm working on?

Jules, I know you've been using their stuff for a while now...thoughts? Definately worth it for a bread and butter plug?
I've had the plug-in a while (+ tested it). I felt and feel it really shines at mix bus duties, and very cool at a number of other duties. It can be pushed hard too, without crumbling, unlike other plug's. It's a very high calibre plug-in.

The novelty doesn't wear off.
Old 6th March 2003
Founder

I had a singer pop in and say 'what have you done to my vocal/ IT SOUNDS AMAZING"!

The Sony Rocks!
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Zep Dude
. Based on limited use, this may be the first plugin that threatens our outboard gear Tomorrow we'll put it through the torture test! The warmth setting is pretty nice too.

Zep,
MajesticMusic.com
and now
ormusic.com
Threatens what?

Many outboard units sound differently and when pushed or loaded differently end up sounding more different. That is the magic of analog gear, you get different colors at different times something which digital gear can't approximate. Digital comps give you one sound. Now if you dig that one sound and it works...voila!!!

And if it doesn't your screwed!!!grudge
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I LOVE the Sony Dyn plugs, it has an absolute huge palette of sounds avaliable!, and the warmth function sounds great!, I had a similar experience as Jules with a vocalist, and I love the Classic setting on drums!, it rocks!!

Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone have a link to that? Is this a protools only plug?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'vd had great results with "classic" with buss setting on the mix buss, of course with a few threshold, make up changes. Is the warmth adding apparent loudness or is it changing the gain at all?

Of course this doesn't ultimately replace pallettes of outboard, and that is not my intention, but it DEFINATELY is increasing my capabilities in the box without having to do additional DAADs if not completely neccesary

Hey Jules, about the limiter, what is 0dbFS? is it 3db on the limiter? With the "buss" setting on with the comp/limiter engaged. I think I'm actually hitting 0dbFS without distortion and it's definately louder than -.1dbfs. The master fader is lighting up red, but my digi192 interface is...maybe I'll try to find a downloadable manual for it.

I downloaded the sony EQ a few months ago and wasn't that impressed except for with the gml option. but I didn't have a good go with it.
I've tried using filterbank over the mix buss and really have a VERY VERY hard time using it without it clearly taking out some clarity. Does the sony do any better for anyone else.

And the plugins can be found at www.sonyplugins.com
They make it for HD, Mix, RTAS, and then for some of the powercore cards I think....not sure.
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Threatens what?
Many outboard units sound differently and when pushed or loaded differently end up sounding more different. That is the magic of analog gear, you get different colors at different times something which digital gear can't approximate. Digital comps give you one sound. Now if you dig that one sound and it works...voila!!!

And if it doesn't your screwed!!
Of course, I won't be throwing out my BA6C anytime soon But, like any piece of good outboard gear, this plugin actually has a vibe!
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Okay, lemme get this straight... The Sony Dynamics are nothing more than the dynamics from the Oxford console right?

(insert dahhhhh-dah-dub-dub-daaaaaa music here)
Old 9th March 2003
Founder

no no, designed from the ground up by Sony for DAW use.

3 flavors + a very nice warming feature..

It's good.

Re earlier question on output limiting function.... I am a bit vauge on that part of its operation..
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Itys great on snare drum, very clean and as good if not bettr than patching in my Trakker, plus the warm function. Its definately a high end sound.

James Cullen
SEABRITE STUDIO
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Are the Sony plugs for PT only?

/Mats
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
they are alao available for tc powercore. i'd considered getting the powercore for these plugs, esp since the powercore now is twice as powerful in it's firewire version. info at the sony site.
Old 9th March 2003
Founder

Much cheaper in the non PT versions too!

Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
no no, designed from the ground up by Sony for DAW use.

3 flavors + a very nice warming feature..

It's good.

Re earlier question on output limiting function.... I am a bit vauge on that part of its operation..
I figured out about the final output. I still don't know what the whole db thing on the limiter is referenced at, as you can put it up to +6db...but I guess the final "trim" is on the warmth area, in which I can adjust it to 1/100th of a value between -.1 and -.01. I was trying to figure out what I'm allowing the plugin to peak at, as I was hitting some red on my interface, but not my master fader, so I knew it was so close.
And the warmth thing really makes it sound a couple db hotter and generally works on the things I've tried it on.
I've just never been able to get a track this loud before and translate so well to cd from a bounce in the box....and I've never had a mix so clear and non-clouded. Maybe now I can skip a outboard buss comp for the time being and buy a even nicer stereo EQ...
Old 10th March 2003
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey- Is it a big difference than the Inflator or around the same type of sound.
The Inflator is warm as well.

Thanx
M2E
Old 10th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Doug wrote,

"I downloaded the sony EQ a few months ago and wasn't that impressed except for with the gml option. but I didn't have a good go with it. I've tried using filterbank over the mix buss and really have a VERY VERY hard time using it without it clearly taking out some clarity. Does the sony do any better for anyone else."

Doug, I am also less than amazed by the Oxford EQ. It's as good as filterbank, but not any better IMO, and the price is just ridiculous. There are plenty of other engineers who agree with me, though of course most people seem to love it.

For a mastering eq, the only plugin that retains clarity is the waves Linear EQ. It was developed specifically for that purpose and REALLY works well.

As for the Sony dynamics: I have to look at it the same way as the Hedd, distressor, and all the other pieces of gear that also include a harmonics generator or tape imulation: How does it sound WITHOUT the harmonics / tape sat? This is because I have plenty of other plugins that do harmonics and tape/tube simulation, and would rather have beter selection / more control. So, as a compressor-only, I feel the same as with the EQ: About as good as compressorbank, though not nearly as versatile and three times the price.

If I owned it, I'd use it, but Sony's pricing is absurd. I can live without it VERY nicely.

I think we are a LONG time away from a digital compressor that can rival the best analog.
πŸ“ Reply