Quantcast
considering replacing sytek - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
considering replacing sytek
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
considering replacing sytek

I've gotten years of good use out of my sytek mic pres but I think its time to move on! can anyone recommend a good 4 channel mic pre unit? finding one that fits in a 1 rack space like the sytek would be a treat, but not imperative. right now api looks roses to me.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: considering replacing sytek

Quote:
Originally posted by vtone
I've gotten years of good use out of my sytek mic pres but I think its time to move on! can anyone recommend a good 4 channel mic pre unit? finding one that fits in a 1 rack space like the sytek would be a treat, but not imperative. right now api looks roses to me.
What price range are we talking about?

John hardy?Great River?Millenia Media?GML? all make great 4 channel rack units.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: considering replacing sytek

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
What price range are we talking about?

John hardy?Great River?Millenia Media?GML? all make great 4 channel rack units.
I probably wouldn't want to go over 4k

I'll do some searches right now for those units. thanks for the tips!
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey, if you want to sell your sytek... let me know
Old 6th March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
why would you "move on"? why not ADD to your collection. the API 3124+ is the balls. i love mine. great DI input too. makes synths and bass real beefy. and i love the mic input on it.

or for $4k, why not get 2x 2 channel units that sound different to add to the syteks?

of course im all about variety.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Old School Audio (MP1-C or MP1-L)...modular 4 channels, but you aren't stuck with only one choice of tone in those preamps. They have an input and output level control (which BTW is an upgrade improvement over the one you see on their site) , which is very flexible also.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

I thought OSA only had racks of at least 8ch...
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
I thought OSA only had racks of at least 8ch...
They are modular just like an API 500 series powered rack. It's your choice of how many preamps you would like to put in the powered modular rack. You can have one preamp, or eleven preamps (they actually make two powered racks, one holds eight modules called the TrkPak, one holds eleven modules called the PwrRak), or any amount of preamps in between one and eleven. The blank spaces not being used are filled with a simple optional rack filler faceplate that is finished in glossy black.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

What other companies make rack units API standards?
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you get rid of the syteks, let me know too! I'm not going to talk you out of it
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
4 ch.

I think the Hardys are vastly superior to the Syteks. Having said that, I've really been craving the API 3124, but if I had to choose, I think the Hardys would be a little more versatile. I don't know how the 4 ch. Great River sounds, but the MP-2 is like a brighter, livelier Sytek to my ears (and that's an improvement in my book). -E
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you actually a/b'ed them? I think that the casing of the pre's mentioned are vastly superior to the sytek. I don't know about the Great River, but I have some API's, and have some Hardy's that i borrow from a friend. I really don't think the API or Hardy stands head and shoulders above the Sytek. But, you should definitely expand your collection. Tracking everything through one kind of pre is sucky come mix time

My vote would go to the Hardy.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
why would you "move on"? why not ADD to your collection.
I love the syteks and they've served me well over the years, but if I get anymore pre amps it's going to turn into a huge investment! well, better buy another rack. power conditioner. oh yeah, I'm out of patchbay inputs, better add on to that. I guess it's time to finally upgrade the computer and get pro tools 6 while I'm at it. better buy new versions of all the plug ins too so everything is compatible... you get the picture.

I've noticed that the syteks don't get used as much nowadays so I thought it was time to add a new color to the palette.

the john hardy looks great, and I have pals that swear by the m2. I've got a two channel great river and it's awesome (excellent with royers) but I don't need another four channels of great river. millenia media and gml I'm sure are great too, but I don't have any experience with them. I'm still partial to the api 4 channel because I don't think I want 'transparent.' I don't have any api gear and it seems like a nice addition to my other pres (neve, fearn, great river, chandler, crane song, etc)
Old 7th March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
****, if thats your selection... get the API. its different than my flamingo, my chandler 'EMI' is WAY different than anything... the syteks are different than all of those [but doesnt get a whole lot of use either... utility pre]
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Ok, how do you compare your Syteks to your other "selection" vtone??
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
4 ch.

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
****, if thats your selection... get the API.
What he said. Get the Hardys later -E
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Ok, how do you compare your Syteks to your other "selection" vtone??
the syteks are my utilitarian pre's; clean and uncolored as opposed to the api. I haven't actually used the api yet in my own studio so I can't really give it a proper comparison yet. I'm going to try it out for a few weeks before purchasing, so I'll let you know my impressions.
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've got a two channel great river and it's awesome (excellent with royers) but I don't need another four channels of great river.
Vtone do you have MP-2's or MP-2 NV's ? That makes all the difference. If you have MP-2's then you are right you might not want more transparent. But, if you have not heard the NV then that is a very nice complement to a transparent sound.

The API's are nice but and probably the Old School that Nathan recommends and both of those would be warm but not what I would consider transparent.

Which GR's do you have now ?

Lee
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com
Which GR's do you have now ?
I've got the MP-2. I assumed the MP-2Vs weren't drastically different which is why the api's seem appealling; I'd like some more pres that are going to exhibit their own character on a microphone. I'm not really looking for transparent. I feel like the mp-2's cover that.

which do you prefer?
Old 10th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Vtone, I agree completely. While you can always have a few different shades of gray it can get ridiculous.

I had a feeling this is where you were at and this is why I recommend you look at the Great River MP-2NV. The NV is based on the Neve 1073 design and Dan Kennedy has done an outstanding job in his implementation as well as the construction.

The NV is a very smooth but forward sounding mic pre. I can go through the list of where I think it excels but the bottom line is I suspect it is exactly what you are looking for. So the NV and MP-2 are like night and day, in fact a very good complement for that very reason.

The nice thing about the NV is you can change its character a bit by turning down the input and bringing up the output gain. This prevents you from hitting the transformers so hard and you do not get as much iron sound from saturation. BUT, if you turn up the input gain and get into the transformers a bit more and turn down the output gain you still get a very clean and smooth sound but it changes the color.

So its a very versatile mic pre and for vocals its one of my favs depending on the singer. Also the DI is sweet and for Bass its really fat in my opinion.

I have API's in the studio and they are nice, a little less color than the NV but I find I use the NV a lot more than the API's.

Lee
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My vote goes for the Hardy M-1!

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by John Hardy
My vote goes for the Hardy M-1!

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
Ha! I was kid of surprised when someone said get API, forget about the Hardy.

Your pre makes my ears go ahhhh! I just wish I could afford a rack right now
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I just wish I could afford a rack right now
I accept major credit cards...

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by John Hardy
I accept major credit cards...

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
hmmmmm...
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vintech now makes a 4-ch unit.

http://www.vintechdistribution.com/p...9616/index.htm
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
Ha! I was kid of surprised when someone said get API, forget about the Hardy.

Your pre makes my ears go ahhhh! I just wish I could afford a rack right now
Don't get me wrong: I LOVE my M-1s, but if he's got a GR MP-2, and wants a change, the API is a BIGGER change, I think. Having said that, I think the M-1 and MP-2 are definitely complementary, rather than redundant, and I wholeheartedly recommend picking up a M-1 after the API. Once I get my 3124 (whenever that is) I'm gonna feel like I can cover anything, between it, my Hardys, GRs, and Speck (although I still think I'll want a nice tube pre). -E
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got yo' back, fo' not a lot o' jack.
Attached Thumbnails
considering replacing sytek-mps-400.jpg  
Old 20th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Someone asked for pricing of the various 4-channel preamps. A 4-channel M-1 ranges from about $1925 to $2905 depending on which options (if any) are included. Meters and output transformers are options.

An M-1 can be purchased with less than four channels. Channels and options can be added later.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Having had both the Sytek and the API 3124+ I would like to add to the discussion that, in addition to the obvious difference in coloration, there are a few other features that contribute to the difference:

1) In my expereince, the API definitely has much greater headroom. In practice, that makes it ideal for various drum mics or other instruments that are capable of "surprising" you with a super hot transient. The Sytek is not nearly as forgiving.

2) DI's - you get four really nice ones on the API. I use them all the time as keybboard/synth inputs.

3) Coolness factor: API has a cooler design, cooler metering, cooler color, cooler pots, and a BLUE LIGHT! Yeah, I know, it shouldn't matter... (but it does to some of us!).

I got my 3124+ new for about $2600 a little over a year ago.

I'd love a Hardy too, but haven't gotten around to one yet. (Now, what I REALLY want is a VIPRE!!!!)
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are we just talking about the "stock" Syteks or the ones with the Brown Burr mod?
πŸ“ Reply