Quantcast
Ashly SC-50 Comp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ashly SC-50 Comp
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ashly SC-50 Comp

Anyone used these before? I have a chance to pick up two for 100 bucks for the pair.

Was thinking of using them on Guitars or ?.

I currently have 160x's, 163's, 166, 166a, 266XL Aphex 104, Pro VLA.

Have sold in the past 160VU, 161, Symetics 501, AL MT66, Alesis 3630's to name a few.

What's your thought on the SC-50? Does it sound like anything I have or anything I have sold?

Joe
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The sound fairly similar to the DBX 160x. I like the Blue face SC-50 a little more than the dbx. You can do rediculous amounts of compression with out really hearing it. My fave on kick drum. I picked up a black face one for $10 last week, didn't sound quite as open as the blue face one. I havent' opened it up to see it there is a reason for that.
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have a black face SC-50 and really dig it on electric guitars.
my go-to box for this task - and I have quite a bunch of comp's.

$50.00 per unit is still a good price IMO - go get them.

michael
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks Mike

They should be on thier way here any day now. Fletcher said the same thing. That they are great for electric guitar.

At the price they may be the real bang for the buck comp. I think you can usually get these for under a 100 bucks all the time. Not sure how often they come around though.

I think there is a ton of gear out there that you dont't have to pay a lot for to get great results. This may be one of them.

Some of the in-expensive mics are great and give the more expensive ones a run for there money. As well as other comps like the 160X or XT, some older MRX fx units, and the like.

Joe
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My friend just bought one and brought it over for me to try out. We fired it up and ran a few things through it. Guitar was the winner with this thing, although snare was pretty cool through it as well. Why can't all compressors have auto gain like these dbx163x things? Besides I like them things on guitar and vocals as well. good vocal tracking compressor.

KBOY
Old 15th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 2 blue faced ones. Love them on Snare and Kick. Very decent on bass and guitars. If you can get two for $100.00, grab them.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
make sure to open them up and check them... they used foam to pad around the circuit boards and this foam MELTS

my SC66 EQ had it pretty bad but i was able to get it all out without any damage.
Gear Guru
I have the SC-55 stereo version. I didn't like the way it filtered out stuff and it was pretty dirty sounding. I replaced every opamp, every power supply part, every cap and all the LM394 transistor pairs with MAT-02 E versions at $15 each. Then every resistor was changed out to Vishay-Dale RN55's.

Now it has the details back, but it's still pretty dirty. Maybe I'll sell it sometime.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Won't DON'T you change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
I have the SC-55 stereo version. I didn't like the way it filtered out stuff and it was pretty dirty sounding. I replaced every opamp, every power supply part, every cap and all the LM394 transistor pairs with MAT-02 E versions at $15 each. Then every resistor was changed out to Vishay-Dale RN55's.

Now it has the details back, but it's still pretty dirty. Maybe I'll sell it sometime.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Dude, what don't you change? heh At some point, when is a piece of gear still that piece of gear once YOU'RE done with it?

Is there anything you've opened up and said, "Hmmm, nothing to do here"?

-a
Old 16th January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
hey jim...i would love to buy the sc55 if you wanna sell it
Old 16th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All of the acoustic guitars on the first two FireHouse CD's with songs like "Love Of A Lifetime", "Don't treat Me Bad", "When I Look Into Your Eyes" and "Hold The Dream" were tracked with the Ashley SC-50 compressor.

Like the band/songs or not, the acoustic guitar sounds are quite good.

David Prater and Doug Oberkircher also recorded Dream Theater's Images and Words CD, and I would guess that those acoustic guitars were tracked with the same compressor.
Old 21st January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
Dude, what don't you change? heh At some point, when is a piece of gear still that piece of gear once YOU'RE done with it?
Is there anything you've opened up and said, "Hmmm, nothing to do here"?
-a
Sure, the stuff I design needs no rework. I do it right the first time. As to other folk's stuff I rework, I don't really have any blind loyalty to any manufacturer, these are just tools, nothing more. I bend them to fit my needs. If Joe * of Joe * and company don't like it, they shouldn't sell it because now it's mine and I can do anything I want with it, and I do. Some gear makers like what I do, some have admitted if the bean counters would allow it, they would do what I do aftermarket, Lexicon is an example of that.

If a piece of gear ends up like a Nascar vehicle, all new stuff on the insides when the outside looks the same, don't worry about it, I don't. It's all about the results.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 21st January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
any thoughts on the CL-50?

ALex
Old 3rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sure, the stuff I design needs no rework. I do it right the first time.

The designers I know whom I consider to be at the top of the heap all say the same thing: a lot of guys take shortcuts, and the rest don't know enough to do it any better.

It's a bit harsh, but it seems true.

Gregory Scott - ubk
πŸ“ Reply