Quantcast
Tim what do you think of digital in general? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tim what do you think of digital in general?
Old 5th March 2003
Tim what do you think of digital in general?

Do you see any redeeming qualities in digital audio recording?

Are your products aimed at making digitaly recorded material better sounding?

Any theories about where pro audio is headed?

Thanks!

Old 10th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
?????

Tim?
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Tim Why So Quiet

Bump........
Tim why so quiet????/
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
golly, imagine making my first post here.
i haven't been to the gearslutz forum since fletcher and (my hero) eve anna were guest mods. i had to stop coming here because there was work to be done.
so i finally register and look and see a really cool question and think to myself, "odd, only two replies. maybe he answered the question so well......"
think i'll go check out he thread about drug use>
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
one thing that horrified me was synthesized 8000Hz sinewave in 24/44.1... ouch that hurts, that can't sound good, amplitude changes due aliasing and you get strange triangle wave...

I thought this can't sound good and it has to sound terrible when you apply eq for instance.

However it sounds somehow better than it looks and I was surpriced again how good can interpolation be when you interpolate up.

Old 27th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Tim is just "British" for Slippers....
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW, I've discussed this with Tim in "real life" and his point of view was that he tended not to divide the world into strict categories, and doesn't take much stock in "conventional wisdom" regarding their traditional use. Rather, he looks at all the different ingrediants -- tube / solid state / analog / digital, and uses what he thinks will work best, which often does not coincide with what people generally think.

When he designs equipment, arguably among the very best in the world, he seems to think about it like a high-end chef who might use salt in a sweet desert, or a composer who is beyond thinking "minor chords = sad music."

Obviously, better from the horse's mouth, but perhaps this format does not lend itself to his particular style.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 1st April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MattiMattMatt
FWIW, I've discussed this with Tim in "real life" and his point of view was that he tended not to divide the world into strict categories, and doesn't take much stock in "conventional wisdom" regarding their traditional use. Rather, he looks at all the different ingrediants -- tube / solid state / analog / digital, and uses what he thinks will work best, which often does not coincide with what people generally think.

When he designs equipment, arguably among the very best in the world, he seems to think about it like a high-end chef who might use salt in a sweet desert, or a composer who is beyond thinking "minor chords = sad music."

Obviously, better from the horse's mouth, but perhaps this format does not lend itself to his particular style.

-MattiMattMatt
i dunno. i think that this absence indicates the mystique of the baron. some peeps just don't wanna have to commit to the written word unless it mirrors the rest of homo sapien experience and aesthetic they espouse.
all of his gear (that i've heard) captures, to a greater degree, the "there-ness" of human beings performing in space. out of all the stuff that i have and the stuff that is on my aquire list, the one that i desire the most but have the hardest time justifying is his re-work of the 1/2" two track ampex.
my favorite post in this thread is this, "one thing that horrified me was synthesized 8000Hz sinewave in 24/44.1... ouch that hurts, that can't sound good, amplitude changes due aliasing and you get strange triangle wave..."
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
rendered in soundforge... it is scary, I thought 192 is overkill but it looks like waves will again look like waves not saws in that HD description...

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…