Quantcast
Mixing/reverbs/panning - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing/reverbs/panning
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mixing/reverbs/panning

How do you guys approach reverbs when mixing?

How many different reverb units do you typically use?

Are you aiming to gel with the reverb or trying to create a convincing room/space.

Im mixing a rock band right now and im having trouble getting it to sound real!?

I have done a fair bit of cleaning up the spill on the drums which sounds super but im having trouble getting it to gel again.

I recorded a few room mics but i think its the reverb that im not doing right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About panning.

I have managed to make a nice stereo image by spreading the guitars but by doing that the songs kinda lack punch ?

Whats the trick here?

Should i record overdubs on the guitar and stick them in the middle to get the punch back or ?

What do you aim for when spreading the tracks across the stereo image?

Wall of sound or real sounding placements?

Im sure there are a million variations to this but some pointers on reverbs and panning would help.

Cheers
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Mixing/reverbs/panning

Quote:
Originally posted by ultima
How do you guys approach reverbs when mixing?

How many different reverb units do you typically use?

Are you aiming to gel with the reverb or trying to create a convincing room/space.

Im mixing a rock band right now and im having trouble getting it to sound real!?

I have done a fair bit of cleaning up the spill on the drums which sounds super but im having trouble getting it to gel again.

I recorded a few room mics but i think its the reverb that im not doing right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About panning.

I have managed to make a nice stereo image by spreading the guitars but by doing that the songs kinda lack punch ?

Whats the trick here?

Should i record overdubs on the guitar and stick them in the middle to get the punch back or ?

What do you aim for when spreading the tracks across the stereo image?

Wall of sound or real sounding placements?

Im sure there are a million variations to this but some pointers on reverbs and panning would help.

Cheers
Right now the flavor of the month is to use delays(multi tap delays for example) in place of the traditional reverbs. They dissipate faster(depends on your settings) which give me more spaces for your instruments.

The secret to panning reverbs is to do them in mono and then check them in stereo. Also don't be ashamed if you just use one side of the reverb(I do this all the time with drums and lead vocals) and i pan that in mono. It takes up less space in the mix and still gives it the depth.

How many reverbs do I use? It depends more on the music than anything.

I own something like 50-60 effect units and I usually end up making my own effect chains(delay-enhancer-chorus-reverb) etc. I like how certain efx load into each other. Sometimes the song calls for something complicated(if the arrangement is intricate),sometimes its a sparse arrangement( the reverb can fill the gaps). Its all arrangement dependent.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Mixing/reverbs/panning

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

The secret to panning reverbs is to do them in mono and then check them in stereo. Also don't be ashamed if you just use one side of the reverb(I do this all the time with drums and lead vocals) and i pan that in mono. It takes up less space in the mix and still gives it the depth.

Thrill

Can you elaborate? What do you mean by 'check them in stereo'?
and 'one side of the reverb' and 'pan that in mono'? why not just use mono reverb to start?

please speak slowly heh

Thanks
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Mixing/reverbs/panning

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Thrill

Can you elaborate? What do you mean by 'check them in stereo'?
and 'one side of the reverb' and 'pan that in mono'? why not just use mono reverb to start?

please speak slowly heh

Thanks
Ok Renie I wil t....r....y...t...o....s...p...e...a...k....very...ssssssllllooowwwllllyyyyy!!!heh

(just Kidding)

Check them in mono means monitor in mono, check in stereo means monitor in stereo.

I like one side of a stereo reverb better because the action going on that side sometime blends better with the mix(freq content). Sometimes its overkill to have the reverb in stereo(in a complicated mix your ears can't tell the difference) also it takes up less space in the mix.

I pan a lot while monitoring in mono(usually the sound will pop out when its in the right placement). Also i do this for a mono reverb or a "one sided"stereo reverb.

Lastly some of the older reverbs are "pseudo stereo"(mono in stereo out). I prefer to either make my own or just use one side(this works great for effect devices such as the PCM70 or the SPX90).

One of my tricks is to use a delay on one side(left) and a mono reverb partially panned right for lets say a vocal. It gives the lead vocal the richness(delay) and a sense of depth(reverb) without it sounding too far back or washy.

I vary the predelay/diffusion/ and decay time of course, but when it works...man does it work.
📝 Reply