Quantcast
Drums - Emmylou Harris - "Where will I be" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drums - Emmylou Harris - "Where will I be"
Old 4th March 2003
Schnert
Drums - Emmylou Harris - "Where will I be"

Hello and welcome Scnert!

Anyone in here familiar with the recording of the drums on this song? (From the "Wrecking Ball" album by the way). Or anyone have ideas as to how this could have been recorded? (mics, placement, type of pre, processing etc.)

I have three locations to chose from to record these drums. A large theater, a medium concert "pub" (tall ceiling), and a small studio. Judging from the room on "Where will I be", I think I'll be going for the medium one.

Doesn't sound like many mikes in there, it sounds mostly mono, except for the hat.

The reason I'm asking is that the drummer in a band coming next month requested me to listen to this song to get the picture of what kinda sound he's after.

I'll be sure to tell him to make his drums sound that way in the first place
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm bumping this one. Wrecking Ball is such a great album with a great roster of players on it.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My former assistant actually recorded much of that record at Woodland Studios here in Nashville. She now lives in Seattle, but if I get a sec, I'll ask her. She was in the room for the whole recording, IIRC, and did hands on the desk duties for much of it. A very talented young lady.

I do remember there was a bunch of unorthodox mic placement she commented about.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 5th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Wan't Wrecking Ball the Daniel Lanois record? If I'm not mistaken, at least one of the audio magazines did a piece on the recording of Wrecking ball. Check Mix On Line, EQ or Audio Media's archives.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Such an amazing record.

It would be cool if you friend could step in and share some stories.. I love hearing about that kind of thing.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I probably should just keep quiet, but I do know that one of the more "exciting" moments in the lounge at Woodland "B" was when Lanois threw the TV across the room because the takeout order was botched. So very rock 'n roll.

Ooooooh, you meant stories about the actual recording? I'll check on it.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 5th March 2003
Schnert
Ah, that would've been very nice Brian. Get that woman in here! yuktyy

I really like that crisp, present, "metallic" snare sound combined with those mellow cymbals on this tune. Some bottom snare mic in action here too? Wish I had a control room on this session, but unfortunately I'll be in the same room as the drummer.....Never done it that way before....is it hard to position those drum mics using headphones?
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Wish this question was here 2 months ago when I worked with both Daniel Lanois and Emmy Lou
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Wrecking Ball is by far one of my favorite records. I too would appreciate any positive insights on the recording and production of this album.
Old 23rd March 2003
Schnert
Just found an interview with Daniel from 1997. Nothing specific on the Wrecking Ball album, but some thoughts on approach, equipment etc. If anyone's interested:

http://www.octopusmediaink.com/DanielLanois.html
Old 10th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
My former assistant actually recorded much of that record at Woodland Studios here in Nashville. She now lives in Seattle, but if I get a sec, I'll ask her. She was in the room for the whole recording, IIRC, and did hands on the desk duties for much of it. A very talented young lady.

I do remember there was a bunch of unorthodox mic placement she commented about.

Regards,
Brian T
Just wondering if this was still in the works... I'd love to hear any details she could provide.

Thanks!

Moze
Old 12th April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Somebody on another board somewhere (cant remember which one) SWEARS that that song used 57s as overheads. I cannot confirm or deny it as fact though. Id LOVE to believe its all so simple, but.................I dunno...is it EVER?

heylow
Old 16th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what they did for the guitar sounds on "May this be love". It just kills me.

Thanks,
JY
Old 16th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jyxx
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what they did for the guitar sounds on "May this be love". It just kills me.

Thanks,
JY
I think I recall reading something that Lanois said about an octave program on the H3000 along with a loop of the guitar being faded in and out of the mix.

-Moze
Old 16th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Moze!

Any thoughts for how get similar sounds without an H3000?

I guess I'll fiddle with throwing extremely distorted guitar through my Quadraverb2 or M-OneXL....

JY
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, I finally remembered to post Sandy and ask about "Wrecking Ball". Here is her initial response, and I can probably get more details if needed.

Brian,
I actually have the exact setup sheet somewhere in a box in the basement. I can dig it up sometime and tell you the mics we used on the drums.

From memory...which isn't entirely acurate...I can tell you that we used a Coles ribbon mic and a 421 on the kick, and an RCA77 and RCA44 ribbon mic on the overheads. We also used a Coles ribbon mic down low about 3 or 4 ft away from the kick for ambience. I don't remember the tom mics...may have been 421's. I think the snare was a 57 or a 414. It was many moons ago.

I don't know about effects since I was not there for the mix of that song. I think Daniel mixed that one on his 8068 out in California.

Does that help?

Regards,
Brian T
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Very cool info Brian!

Thanks for the insights.

-Moze
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I be in Seattle

Hey Brian T, is that former assistant of yours still working in studios? I own a BIG small studio in Seattle and would love to talk with her about her experiences with Lanios and Emmylou. Swap stories. Hang out.

Please let me know.

Great thread by the way, "Where will I be" is a wonderful song with amazing production.

Thanks,
Shawn

Also, Brian what's the name of your studio? Got a website?
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Big up for the Coles
Often being substituted by Royers by many engineers these days
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Big up for the Coles