Quantcast
Eureka!! Cheap L.D. Mic Spider Shock Mounts - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eureka!! Cheap L.D. Mic Spider Shock Mounts
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Eureka!! Cheap L.D. Mic Spider Shock Mounts

At last, a cheap source for decent spider shock mounts.

I learned about this from a classical recording enginerer last weekend.

Find someone that sells Samson gear. They sell a shock mount designated "SPO1", for their "CO1" microphone. List price is about $40. I bought four yesterday for $30.75 each.

With a flat blade screwdriver you can pry out the "nut" that screws for the Samson mic. You can then remove the threaded ring from say your standard german mic swivel, and use that with the Samson shock mount. My Neumanns require that I machine (drill) a slightly bigger hole in the shock mount, which is a small price to pay considering the cost of Neumann shock mounts.

I was able to mount a CAD mic on a Samson shock mount with no additional machining. Five shock mounts for the price of one Neumann shock mount. Not a bad deal.

And they look fine, and are stronger than most spider mounts, since the Samson units are steel, and Neumann and Blue use brass.

wurly
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good tip. By the way, the slides are in the mail, I will tell you what he thinks! Your mailbox has been full, and I lost yr regular email!
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My mailbox is not full.

wurly

[email protected]
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great tip! Can you post a link as to where these can be ordered? Thanks! TommyD
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My bad, must be getting lazy in my old age. Found it, thanks.heh
http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...toraccsID=1617

TOmmyD
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Re: Eureka!! Cheap L.D. Mic Spider Shock Mounts

Another place to look is stores that sell Marshall mics- they've got a decent metal shockmount that lists for $49.

There's some room to bargain, though, because store cost at least used to be $9 and change.

Biggest markup in the store, I think. Any self respecting store should let you order them for $20 or so.
Old 5th March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
The problem I've had with all the cheap shockmounts is that they either don't hold the mic well, or they hold it but the thumbscrew on the stand clamp slips. That sucks. From picutres the Samson looks like it's well made but I haven't seen one up close.
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The AKG H-100 spider suspension mount is included with C2000B, C3000B, C4000 and so on but can be purchased separately. The intresting thing with this cleverly designed chuck-style mount is that it is very affordable and secure, you can also without modification use it for several other microphones including some Neumann's and Microtech Gefell's.
A great suspension for not a lot of money, check it out.

/Mats
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Samson spider mount build quality

The Samson shockmount is very well built. Neumann & Blue shock mounts are made of brass. Samson shock mounts are made of steel, so are less likely to bend. The swivel wing nut thing is comparable to Neumann quality.

Blue shock mounts are the best looking on the market, superior in appearance to Neumann. Samson has the cheapest decent spider shocks that I've seen.

Don't forget that I'm in the hardware manufacturing business so I know what I'm talking about.

You have to look very closely at the Samson shockmounts to see any cosmetic issues, which is really just some uncleanliness around some of the joints. From 18 inches away they look as good as any shock mount. I think the differences would only be noticed by an anal manufacturer like me.

I own a set of the AKG shock mounts which I bought for 414's. Althought they are for different shaped microphones, I find that the Samson spider shock mount more attractive and less sonically disturbing then the AKG shockmount.

wurly
Old 7th March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Re: Samson spider mount build quality

Quote:
Originally posted by wurly
less sonically disturbing then the AKG shockmount.
Huh? Explain that one.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Sonically disturbing.....

Dear Mr. Jay,

Please excuse the lack of specificity in my last post regarding the AKG shockmount. I was running up against that darn 1000 character per post limit and I think that one was 998 characters anyways.

What I meant to say was that the AKG shockmount is large and cumbersome compared to a tradional spider shock mount. It's big. There's lots-o-plastic to reflect sound off. That's what I meant by sonically disturbing. There's all that plastic to disturb the sound.

I reason that if the shape of the grille on a mic can affect the sound, that a big clunky looking shockmount can't possibly be a good thing. YMMV

wurly

sonically disturbed
Old 1st May 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The best and cheapest universal shock mount

Hi Guys, Don't even both with those other shock mounts. Here's one that's only $17 BUCKS!!! I have used them, and they actually lasted longer than the cheap ass SabraSam mounts.

If these aren't working for you, then you are doing something wrong. You need to put the mic in the correct way, and they will hold ANYTHING with incredible strength and not loosen up. Just put it in the right way.

Newegg.com - BadAax Universal Black Shockmount
πŸ“ Reply