Quantcast
Music for TV - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music for TV
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Music for TV

Just touching up a TV ad at the mo, so used to giving music cd mixes the loud and proud treatment.

Just wondering whether I should peak at about -1db to allow the stations limiters abit of headroom?
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't give it to them at -1dBFS.
I give my stuff to them at -14dBFS or 0dBVU.
works fine, no overuse of compression from them.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
not clear... are you mixing a tv spot yourself that you'll layback yourself, or just delivering music to the mixer who will be finishing the spot? if you're laying back the final, best to make your 0vu=-20dbfs, 'cause that's what most video decks are....and keep peaks to +10 ( -10dbfs) to avoid limiters, QC kickbacks etc. (side note:never had a promo kicked back for level...they usually don't go thru the same (rigorous dfegad yuktyy fuuck lol) end QC procedure)

if you're the composer, then revel in the freedom from spec that you possess...'cause if the mix engineer can't handle whatever level you give him/her, you're SOL anyway...
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
who are you turning it in to? Who's doing the final print, they should be able to handle it... I've usually peaked about +(8-10)dbvu, with a RMS around 0dbVU. That's -10dbFS if calibrated at -20dbFS.
If it's an spot you can get your RMS a bit hotter, also so people can hate you and have to turn down the tv everytime it comes up and gets there attention (kinda what the sponsor wants).
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…