Johnny Marr Stories? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Johnny Marr Stories?
Old 10th September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonraboin ➡️
The GT-5 is the answer to all your questions about where he gets his sounds from. If you have specific questions about sounds or presets I can get answers for you.
Tell me everything ;-) What fx blocks does he use ... and how? Is it in front of the amp or in the loop?

/megl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thats what I love about the net too, Paddlepop lion
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another 'holy shiznit' for his work on The The's 'Dusk'. The guitar arrangements are just unreal in their simplicity and musicality. Still one of my Rosetta stones as a producer when working with guitar-driven bands.

The Modest Mouse stuff is a little too... well, a little too something for my tastes. Feels too forced or cranial.

While I was never a huge Smiths fan, I was enough of a guitar geek to be blown away by Marr's work...
Old 11th September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The The's "Mind Bomb" is the bomb. Johnny's work is stellar here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I remember reading the Guitar Player interview when it came out, and I remember there being plenty of letters in the following issues that expressed joy and agreement with his statements about the ****** genres. I'm sure the magazine loved the controversy.

I also remember reading a lot of details about other, non-guitar studio trickery they did. I don't remember if this was in the GP article (I don't know why it would be). Like the backup vocals on Bigmouth Strikes Again, which are credited to some made-up female name but are really just Morrissey singing through a pitch shifter of some sort. And which song is it that begins with a burst of guitar feedback that just keeps rolling through the whole song? I think he said they just left the guitar leaning against the amp while they went to mix the song, and decided to leave it in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hooray...my Marr thread resurrected! I was on the road when Modest Mouse played The Ryman here in Nashville. I have yet to catch Marr live, but I will someday, I hope.

Can a The Smiths reunion tour be even a remote possibility? Hell, if Zeppelin and Van Halen can do it...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli ➡️
Hooray...my Marr thread resurrected! I was on the road when Modest Mouse played The Ryman here in Nashville. I have yet to catch Marr live, but I will someday, I hope.

Can a The Smiths reunion tour be even a remote possibility? Hell, if Zeppelin and Van Halen can do it...
But none of the members of either of those two bands have the staunch stubborn-ness or moral fortitude of a Steven Morrissey.

But I would love to see it.

Cheers,
David
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Blasphemy!

They all sound good (Except for the Troy Tate production of the first LP).

Regards,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubykitty2000 ➡️
Thanks, Jules. That was interesting.

That's the only Smiths record that sounds good, IMO.

Charles
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf ➡️
'how soon is now' is a direct rip from zeppelin's 'when the levee breaks' isn't it?
....especially the drum production.....

Cheers,
David
Old 24th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i know it's an old thread but just listening to the 1984 album the smith doesn't half remind me of my Yamaha RX11 drum machine i had back then..

esp track 1 "ring around the fountain"

Old 24th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
i know it's an old thread but just listening to the 1984 album the smith doesn't half remind me of my Yamaha RX11 drum machine i had back then..

esp track 1 "ring around the fountain"

Way to revive this thread. Let’s hope more banter goes on. I listened to “Louder Than Bombs” my whole sophomore year of HS (1988) man that album was good. It was years before I knew it was a compilation lol. The JC 120 was mentioned on here earlier, I’d like to say running a Rhodes through one has a stellar sound.
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I don't have much to add, but this is a fun thread to bring back up.

One cool thing I do know about Johnny Marr is that he's a huge Nile Rodgers fan, and named his son Nile after him. I believe they are friends as well.
📝 Reply