Johnny Marr Stories? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Johnny Marr Stories?
Old 31st January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_bunny ➑️
Anyone with a link to the article explaining the "How Soon is Now" sound?
Not a link to the article but I did read it.

4 fender amps with trems set to different times recorded simultaneously.

"and if I felt a nat'ral emotion, I get so shocked I probably jump in the ocean..."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love this thread, always fun to learn more about your hero's.

For some reason my favorite song by The Smiths is "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others." Marr plays all of these syncopated patterns that just plain kick ass. I love how at the beginning of the track the song fades up and then back down. Apparently at the time it was a level check and they just ended up leaving it in the finished track. Ready for more stories and anecdotes, please.

bcgood
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i remember that article. i want to say that he said something to the effect of finding the shredder "posturing hackneyed and irrelevent". lol...and the malmsteen article either declared yngwie, or he declared himself the king of such shredder "posturing".
a lot of people were pissed. i laughed pretty hard, and was not surprised at the sh*tstorm that followed.
insofar as how soon is now, i want to say he said something about being a purist, and doing retake after retake, catching the amp tremolo when it was in time, then going back, and catching it in sync again for the next bit...and piecing the whole thing together that way.
some girls... is likewise one of my faves, as is please please please let me get what i want (gorgeous) and well i wonder.
i liked him with the the as well (dusk is a great sounding album, imo, and i loved mind bomb). i think he also did a stint with the pretenders on tour or somesuch.

at the time, megatallica, smiths, depeche, cocteautwins, (older) cure were my faves.

"all the streets are crammed with things eager to be held. i know what hands are for, and i'd like to help myself. you ask me the time, but i sense something more...and i would like to give you what i think you're asking for...you handsome devil. let me get my hands on your mammary glands..."
those lyrics alone are worth the price of admission. rockin' little ditty.

kell
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit ➑️

"all the streets are crammed with things eager to be held. i know what hands are for, and i'd like to help myself. you ask me the time, but i sense something more...and i would like to give you what i think you're asking for...you handsome devil. let me get my hands on your mammary glands..."

kell

Handsome Devil and What Difference Does it Make? are definitely my favorite songs by The Smiths.

For anyone interested in Modest Mouse - Johnny Marr is on board now. He and Isaac wrote the new album together and Johnny is going to tour with them. I don't know if he'll stay with them after that or not though.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
Love this thread, always fun to learn more about your hero's.

For some reason my favorite song by The Smiths is "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others." Marr plays all of these syncopated patterns that just plain kick ass. I love how at the beginning of the track the song fades up and then back down. Apparently at the time it was a level check and they just ended up leaving it in the finished track. Ready for more stories and anecdotes, please.

bcgood
If you love Some girls..., go to youtube. There's a clip of them playing this song (and many others) from their last show at the Brixton Academy. I always liked the Peel sessions and live recordings of theirs most because Johnny couldn't layer the guitars to death. The guitar melody is absolutely beautiful. Only Morrissey could have put those lyrics to that music. That's why they were the best.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
Finally someone else that recognizes the masterpiece that Vauxhall and I is! Viva Steve Lillywhite!

bcgood

Check out the link and then buy the album and then listen to it about 700 times. By the time you get to your 666th listen of the album straight through you'll love it, so listening sessions 667 - 700 is just pure gold, pure gold I tell ya!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_and_I
Its in my all time top 10 records.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka ➑️
Its in my all time top 10 records.
thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A sort of floral country & western finger picking "hoe down", with a weirdo yodeling over the the top of it all....
Sounds great! Any other bands that match that description? I'll buy their records too.
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
great band! great song writing

is it me or do those mixes (smiths) sound pretty thin & harsh?

sounds a bit like ITB.. - just kiddin
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Alhough I like most of what the smiths did "asleep" is where they really nailed it for me.
The most beautiful and sad song about suicide ever written. Marr shows his diversity with an amazing piano composition. From the wind effect at the beginning to the music box playing auld lang syne at the end. A masterpiece.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBit ➑️
Alhough I like most of what the smiths did "asleep" is where they really nailed it for me.
The most beautiful and sad song about suicide ever written. Marr shows his diversity with an amazing piano composition. From the wind effect at the beginning to the music box playing auld lang syne at the end. A masterpiece.
I really like that one as well, you nailed all of the salient points right on the head. Auld Lang Syne at the end seals the deal, sooooo somber and real. I'm not so sure the song is about suicide though. Often Morrissey wrote about leaving home but I understand the connotations do exist. They reach a point of artistic expression at times that is scary.

There is another world
There is a better world
Well there must be
Well there must be...

bcgood
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No stories from me on this occasion, but as for chorus, in case anyone's interested (phwoooooo tumbleweed), I can recommend the Electro-Harmonix Polychorus stereo/mono pedal. I got it mainly for Cobain-type wobble chorus but the controls are pretty flexible and you can get quite nice, more transparent effects out of it for acoustic.

Jazz Chorus? Hmmm. I hope we don't all start buying those to be Johnny, great as he and his tone have been. Solid-state guitar amps are the work of the Devil, only actually they're not devilish enough. I want my amp to melt people's faces like the Ark of the Covenant at the end of Indiana Jones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
By the way, we had 'Asleep' as the song at my brother's funeral. I kind of regret that now, because that song ended up being pilloried by the music magazine NME and others over here in the UK who thought it glamorised suicide. But I think my bro would've understood our choice.

I don't really think The Smiths' music qualifies as strange overall. Not unless Captain Beefheart's 'Trout Mask Replica' is thirteen categories stranger than strange or something. Let alone all the really far-out stuff people like John Peel (Peace Be Upon Him) used to play on the radio over here. (Correction: only John Peel was ever like John Peel.) LET ALONE all the REALLY far-out stuff that even John Peel wouldn't have listened to...

The only really strange bit about The Smiths was Morrissey, in my opinion. That was probably enough, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➑️
Not a link to the article but I did read it.

4 fender amps with trems set to different times recorded simultaneously.

"and if I felt a nat'ral emotion, I get so shocked I probably jump in the ocean..."
yeah, they couldn't sync them up, so had to keep dropping in fora few bars to keep it in time. I think they weren't deliberately set to different times, they just couldn't get them exactly the same, so they kept drifting! Shoulda used 4 Line 6 modules

***EDIT*** Sorry kelldammit already mentioned this a few posts up!
Old 1st February 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
np, blast. i'll take that as confirmation that at least SOME of my memory is working okay!

as asleep ends with "bye bye"...so strangeways opens with..."hello!"
rumor control also had it that louder than bombs was to be the last smiths album, hence the farewell at the end...but, they made one more go at it.

some girls is great...love playing that one. it used to make me sad, cause it meant that the album was over...
i also really dig how he layers the guitars progressively through the choruses of cemetry gates.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit ➑️

kell

Sweet memories...Funny how back then, a band could get popular while being sexually ambiguous. These days, Martin Gore and Morrissey would not have a shot if they were starting out. Rock and hip-hop are way to homophobic now.

I loved The Smith and Depeche Mode at the time. Still, I was even more amazed by what they could get away during the conservative Tatcher era. Don't even get me started on "The Queen is Dead" single. Genius!

Vermeer
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woomanmoomin ➑️
Jazz Chorus? Hmmm. I hope we don't all start buying those to be Johnny, great as he and his tone have been. Solid-state guitar amps are the work of the Devil, only actually they're not devilish enough. I want my amp to melt people's faces like the Ark of the Covenant at the end of Indiana Jones.
I briefly twanged my Tele through an original JC120 recently and - oh my- what a luxurious, shimmery clean sound. I had previously been dead-against tranny guitar amps, but now I am on the hunt for a JC. I'm yet to discover whether the current model has the same specs as the ones that JM, Andy Summers, et al used back in the day.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kinda suprised that his new colaboration with Modest Mouse hasn't been mentioned in the thread.
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/37735 I think the single from the new record is available from the Itunes store.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt15 ➑️
If you love Some girls..., go to youtube. There's a clip of them playing this song (and many others) from their last show at the Brixton Academy. I always liked the Peel sessions and live recordings of theirs most because Johnny couldn't layer the guitars to death. The guitar melody is absolutely beautiful. Only Morrissey could have put those lyrics to that music. That's why they were the best.
actually, i read an interview with marr where he basically cites morrissey's putting those lyrics to that tune as the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of hem breaking up. something like "i had written this beautiful little, really dlicate melody...and then he comes back with some song about 'some girls are bigger than others.'"
Old 10th July 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecount_x ➑️
Back in the spring of 1989 ( I think) Johnny Marr was on the cover of Guitar Player.

One of the best interviews ever. Thank-you Johnny Marr for your music and your attitude.
This issue of GP changed my entire life. I met Johnny on The The's Mind Bomb tour. He is a class act, I tell you. Great values as well. I still have an autographed copy of GP with him on the cover, as well as another copy that I keep to actually read for reference.

Because of all the lessons and tips and tricks he gave in that issue, I was able to develop a lot of unusual skills that have basically given me a career in music.

I also must concur with the sentiment that "Vauxhall and I" is an amazing record. I love that disc.
Old 11th July 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Smiths S/T has my favorite snare sound of all time. Deep and huge and killer verb. Just putting that out there
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi Slutz ....finally ! a topic I can comment on instead of just shutting up and listening to the great advice here ..
the boss CE1 pedal was made for keyboards and the vol. pot is 100k ,,, To really use it for guitar you should change the pot to a 250k so you don`t clip out when hiitting it hard .
Still ..it is noisy .... I found the "chorus ensemble" by Retro-sonic that is just a great recreation of this effect without the down side .
the Line 6 stuff will digitize your dry guitar signal ......mix it in with the effect in the pedal and reconvert it on the way out ... even in bypass you`ll do VERY unslutty things to your beautiful pristine guitar sound . I could see using it for stage but for the best possible sound in the studio .... good pickups,cables and amps shouldn`t be loaded down with such beasts .

Retro-Sonic - Chorus

don`t know why the link on their site comes up as a mono pedal ... there`s a stereo version on the market for a year now

Last edited by MooWahmBah; 11th July 2007 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: added link
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
one big vote for kenny's thoughts and whatnot,,,,,,
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
heres a cool link
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Guitar Anti-Hero

I have in front of me the January 1990 Issue of GP with Johnny Marr on the cover(I have back issues all the way Back to my HS days,First Issue I have has Segovia On the cover 196?) Titled Guitar Anti-Hero, The Smiths And Beyond,Great Article,Joe Gore Interviews him,starts with "10 Ways To Avoid Becoming A Guitar Hero".I Enjoyed the Smiths and JM's approach,I never did get Yngwie and all that I am the best Posturing.I was already aways beyond that,when he happened, he just flew right past me.He had nothing at all to say to me.Johnny on the other hand seamed to posses a maturity I could relate to.thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
Here is the exact type of pedal used all over the first album & singles... I have one.
I have the UAD-1 emulation of this pedal and it's the coolest chorus/vibrato effect I've ever messed with; Jules, have you heard the UAD-1 emulation, and if so, what do u think of it?

I personally can't stand Morrissey and consider The Smiths' music sort of a waste having his voice on there (my favorite track is "Girl Afraid", I think because I can really tune out Morrissey on that track and concentrate on the guitars on that tune).
Old 10th September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
With Modest Mouse Johnny is currently playing various Jaguars, Jazzmasters, a Tele Deluxe, and a Rickenbocker 12 string. Amps are a Fender Super Reverb and a Marshall 1958 100HW through 2 Marshall 1960 AHW 4x12. Pedals are Manatone King of Britains, Diamond Compressor, SIB Distortion, and Boss GT-5. The GT-5 is the answer to all your questions about where he gets his sounds from. If you have specific questions about sounds or presets I can get answers for you.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Holy bloody hell! A few months ago there was a thread about the best guitar tone to tape or something like that. I referenced Johnny Marr and nobody (from memory but I haven't looked back at that thread and if somebody did comment I will retract this current statement) said anything.

Now it turns out that the bloody moderator of this forum recorded them! That is what I love about the internet. I live in the middle of nowhere Australia, am 23 and have absolutely nobody to talk to about this stuff then bam! This happens. I can ask people that were actuall there! Thankyou gearslutz for adressing rural isolation in your own speacial way.

I love you guys

Cheers mate!
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomanmoomin ➑️
Jazz Chorus? Hmmm. I hope we don't all start buying those to be Johnny, great as he and his tone have been. Solid-state guitar amps are the work of the Devil
In the studio, he just used the pedal effect - then that fed 2x tweed covered vintage fender valve combos.. so no worries there..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper ➑️
I briefly twanged my Tele through an original JC120 recently and - oh my- what a luxurious, shimmery clean sound. I had previously been dead-against tranny guitar amps, but now I am on the hunt for a JC. I'm yet to discover whether the current model has the same specs as the ones that JM,
See above... heh That would be the right chorus effect, but not the amp...tutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco ➑️
I have the UAD-1 emulation of this pedal and it's the coolest chorus/vibrato effect I've ever messed with; Jules, have you heard the UAD-1 emulation, and if so, what do u think of it?
Haven't heard it yet!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re, the how soon is now sound-I'm sure I read an interview where someone involved in the recording mentioned flicking the standby switches on 2 seperate fender twins in addition to the trem stuff previously mentioned. Can't remember exactly what magazine it was probably "guitarist" or "guitar" here in the uk. I'm someone else will have read it
πŸ“ Reply