Quantcast
How much time do you spend on initial mic placement? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much time do you spend on initial mic placement?
Old 26th February 2003
One with big hooves

๐ŸŽง 15 years
How much time do you spend on initial mic placement?

For me, it ain't a lot. I'll just kind of throw things up so they "look" right and then go listen in the control room before I refine the placement. I had an engineer book my room who spent about 30 minutes setting up just the overhead mics and never bothered to listen to them until he was done. Then he went out and moved them which seemed like a huge waste of time to me.
Old 26th February 2003
There is only one

๐ŸŽง 15 years
i just throw them up at first. basically get them on stands and signal running. then i go fine tune them... time varies depending. i know where i put my overheads on drums, guitars can take a couple positions until i hit what i want. most of it is running back and forth between the control room over actually touching the mics themselves. but a lot has to do with previous experience and just knowing where to put them... although that can lead to ruts which i am trying to avoid lately... like purposely doing something totally different.
Old 26th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I hate changing mic positions but I do it alot. To get to the live room from the control room, there's a 30 foot hallway and then a right turn to a 18 foot hall/entryway with the live room door on one side and the entrance door on the other. I sure as hell wouldn't have built it this way, but the previous owner did. That makes for a lot of running back and forth once I get around to tweaking and/or changing mics/pres. I run down the halls. Keeps the blood moving, though (pant).

That said, I still take about 30 minutes at most getting the drums just right. Guitars and everything else take me about 15-20 minutes at most, but that involves more tweaking the sound of the amp/guitar than moving or changing mics. Vocals take me about 10 minutes. They're either going to work through a certain chain or they won't.

There's a perfect spot for a new door to go in the live room, which would be right outside the door to the control room. I'd have to find a new place to put my mics, 'cos the mic cabinet is on that wall in the live room. I gotta do this.
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I take very little time in the initial set up of mics on the kit. First, I do a rough placement and then I do a 'fine tuning' where I "aim " the mics a bit.
Then I give a listen to what everything sounds like and then fine tune some more if there's something that bothers me.
I try to get a drum sound as a kit rather than as individual pieces.......I get levels and listen while the drummer is playing a pattern--not just kick, kick, kick forever followed by snare snare snare forever, etc.......Sometimes, I'll have my drum sounds done before the drummer is even close to warmed up.......My favorite thing is to be able to say come on in and listen off tape as a reply to the drummer asking "should I start with the kick drum now?"........
But, that's just me...Also, I've also had days where it takes me 20 minutes to get a decent tamborine sound.......Life's funny......
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Like mentioned above. Quick placement, then fine tune.
I like spending some time with the mics on guitar cabs.
I move the drum and guitar mics with cans on.
I also like to move instruments to find the best place in the room.
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I just put them up where I think that they will work (based on experience and the instrument and the sound of the room) then I go take a listen. If I'm getting the sound I am looking for then I leave them. If the sound on the mic isn't right I decide if its a mic thing, instrument thing or position thing and take the necessary action. If on a second listen its still not happening I go over the options again. Usually I do not spend loads of time on this, if its not happening fairly quickly there is something major wrong and it needs a rethink.

Regards

Roland
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…