The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting air into a Vocal booth?
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Getting air into a Vocal booth?

How would you go about ventalating a large vocal booth? I was thinking of two holes (one on each of two parallel sides) that goes through a pvc 2 inch pipe with an elbow or two on the outside of the booth. Is that enough? Do I need some type of fan?Thanks
Old 26th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I would just put a hole in the vocalists head, that'll solve the problem.

Nah, it kinda depends. To do it right you'll need an intake and an outtake vent just like any split duct A/C system. At the very least you can just pipe the cold air into the room and leave the door open between takes. You will need a fan or something to get the air into the booth and then back out and the elbows are a good idea. Sound doesn't turn corners well.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a small booth ( which sould be more problematic ) without fans and it works fine. It has a hole in the lower section on the inner cabine where an angled flat tube is attached to leading to the upper section of the outer cabine wall. And the same thing once again vice versa ( upper / lower wholes / inside / outside ). Behind the holes grill there even sits a foam filter.

You can stay in there comfortably over an hour. When coming outside for a cigarette pause leaving the door open for a minute is sufficient for the next stay.

Before installing I was also wondering if I should put a fan on it, but now I would say it´s not worth the ~ 400$. Apart from the fact that a fan could cause vibrations / sound that could leak to sensible mics, I think.

Hope that helps.

Ruphus
Old 28th February 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Putting in a POWERFUL fan and turning it on during breaks can make all the difference in the world.
Old 28th February 2003
Yes, perhaps just outside the door, on the floor faceing up, so it hits the far wall and bounces off pushing the hot air at the top of the room with cold 'floor level air' back out the top of the door.

I have a little ionizer always on in the vocal booth, give the air some 'life'.

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…