Quantcast
OPINIONS needed: AKG SolidTube - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OPINIONS needed: AKG SolidTube
Old 25th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
OPINIONS needed: AKG SolidTube

I'm thinking of and AKG SolidTube to replace my Baby Bottle, which is a little dark for me.

Any pros/cons? Noise, roundneess vs. air, etc...

Any and all are welcome.

Thanks-
.nick
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You're joking, right??

:eek:
Old 25th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I don't get it.

Why would I be joking?

.nick
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you used/heared a Solid Tube, Nick?

What are you basing all this on? Have you tried EQ on the Blue?

The Solid Tube makes a good door stop or paperweight, IMO.
Old 25th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Messiah's right IMO, but to be a bit less harsh, if you're on a tight-ish budget why not just go for a TLM103? Good valve mics aren't cheap and you'd be making a mistake by assuming you'll get "that sound" from a SolidTube. If you definitely want a valve mic at that price, look at the Rode NTK (still reckon you're better off with the Neumann though).
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll sell you my Solidtube I've never found it much use for anything. It certainly does not have 'air'. You might find the Rode Classic more to your liking, at about the same price. Great mic for vocals and acoustic gtrs.

DW
Old 25th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Carl & Company-

Ah, I see.

No, I *haven't* heard a SolidTube...which is why I asked. Saves me a trip.

The thing is that there are a lot of things I really like about the Baby Bottle. Like it's 50 ohm impedance. Like its virtual lack of noise. Its dashing good looks. Its smoothness.

There are two things I have problems with, though: It is a bit boxy and tubby in the lo-mids, and it lacks a little sparkle up top.

The reason I bought it in the first place was that it *didn't* have the hyped sizzle that a lot of under $1k mics seem to have.
(NT1000, AT4033, for example.)

I have found that I'm doing a lot of EQ'ing, actually, to make it sound the way I think it should, though.

For better or worse, the amount that I was EQ'ing it (greater than 6dB in two places) told me that I may be asking it to be something it isn't, hence my search for something that will not need such huge EQ.

Maybe that's ok.

Regardless of the needless derision...

Thanks-
.nick
Old 25th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Beech, how much do you want for it?
Old 25th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
try a soundelux U195. or try an AT4050/4060/4047... screw that neumann trash./
Old 25th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
try a soundelux U195. or try an AT4050/4060/4047... screw that neumann trash./
No doubt... but a U195 for Β£400? Tell me where and I'll buy two!
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'll probably get blasted with this reply, but I have owned the Solidtube for about a year, I bought the Baby Bottle and a Studio Projects C3 a month or so ago. I A/B/C'd them on a strong female vocalist (5 different songs) and sent the Baby Bottle back. I am now using the C3 almost exclusively on her vocals, running it through an Aphex 107 pre and Aphex 661 compressor to Lucid converters into Pro Tools.

I had considered keeping the BB for acoustic guitars but traded it for a couple Crown CM700MP Matched Pair.

"To me" the C3 is smooth and silky sounding, compared to the Solidtube which was muffled. Before the C3, I used the Solidtube a lot but had to EQ it alot. The C3 gives me pretty much the sound I need without alot of filtering.

Keep in mind, the mic needs to match your preamp well. The Solidtube didn't sound TOO bad through a very transparent, non-tube pre. But I still had to do some hefty EQ'ing.

If I get time, I have samples from the A/B/C'ing that I can post on my website if you are interested.
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Solidtube is a truly miserable mic. I had one on demo for a while a couple of years ago. What the marketing claims to be a smooth valvey warmth, is actually a sort of fuzzy mushy mess. It is one of those products that makes you wonder how it ever got released.

I have a mate who bought a Groove Tubes GT67 tube mic for a measly 220 quid at the recent sounds expo show. He left it here at the weekend for me to have a mess about with. As my go to mic (a rode classic II) is off on holliday just now, I used it yesterday on a female r n b. It is STUNNING! It doesnt have the really classy thing that the Rode has (sometimes too much) but I was so pleased with the sound. It helped that the girl was a fantastic singer, but it's a great mic...clean, detailed, nice top end, nice bottom end. I used it on acoustic guitar too and it was the same. I havent had a chance to try it on anything else yet, but if you're on a budget, this is one to watch.

J
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Funny about the GT67.

Just yesterday I saw that Digital Village is doing them for Β£299 inc. VAT.

Haven't heard too many people talk about them (in fact, your the first person that's even mentioned them) and can't seem to find any reviews.

I wonder how it stacks up to any of the other low-end valve mics.

R.
Old 26th February 2003
Founder

Seems like a hot tip for folks in the UK / Europe..

Old 26th February 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsey
Funny about the GT67.

Just yesterday I saw that Digital Village is doing them for Β£299 inc. VAT.

Haven't heard too many people talk about them (in fact, your the first person that's even mentioned them) and can't seem to find any reviews.

I wonder how it stacks up to any of the other low-end valve mics.

R.
As far as I know the GT 67 was called a AM62 before when it was made for Alesis, same mic. Great on snare and all kinds of electric guitars too.
Old 26th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
I'll chime on the GT67 - it's a fairly distinctive sounding mic to me, but it's a damn fine sound. A couple of my regular singers sounded better on the GT67 than on my Lawson or a TLM 103. I kinda wish it was still here - I'd love to be able to A/B it with a U 67 (which also happens to be here right now...)
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Aw, Come on guys!

I just noticed the sale prices yesterday.

Bloody heck, what with Sly and then Michael AND THEN Dave all chiming in on these mics, Digital Village (www.digitalvillage.co.uk) will have the price hiked before you can say...

SLEEPER GEAR!

Gonna have to check 'em out.

Thanks for the heads up though.

R.
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Sly
The Solidtube is a truly miserable mic. I had one on demo for a while a couple of years ago. What the marketing claims to be a smooth valvey warmth, is actually a sort of fuzzy mushy mess. It is one of those products that makes you wonder how it ever got released.
I've had good luck substituting a Telefunken Smooth Plate 12ax7 for the Chineese tube that comes standard and removing the foam pop screen internally mounted in the Solidtube.

Made a big, big difference.

Mark
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
To state the obvious, any microphone can sound bad depending upon the room and outboard gear your running through, notwithstanding the instrument. Some swear by the Neuman mic, others Telefunken, and others AT or AKG.

Also, I've recently run across some mics that I'm seriously looking at getting (once I pay some debt down) and that is the Gefell M930/940 solid state and/or one of their tube mics.

Gefell-English

Someone told me that the original Neuman's were built when Gefell and Neuman were together and then when **** Germany came in, Gefell left Germany. The Neuman line was recently (within the past 15 years maybe) by another microphone manufacturer and that the Gefells are actually more comparable to the original sound and design and the Neuman family are now in control of Gefell. Anyone have information to substantiate or contradict this?

Mark
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by heartsoffire

Someone told me that the original Neuman's were built when Gefell and Neuman were together and then when **** Germany came in, Gefell left Germany. The Neuman line was recently (within the past 15 years maybe) by another microphone manufacturer and that the Gefells are actually more comparable to the original sound and design and the Neuman family are now in control of Gefell. Anyone have information to substantiate or contradict this?

Mark
I have no idea if the Geffel mics are closer in sound to Georg Neumann's original designs, but this might answer your history questions:

Gefell History
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey! I wasn't TOO far off my history. So the person who told me that the modern Neumann mics are really made Sennheiser and the Gefell mics are really made by the Neumann family was correct. I missed some of the details, but the overall picture is the same.

So, you vintage Neumann fans may want to look at the Gefell if you like that sound.

Mark
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wonder who is a European dealer?
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you mean Microtech Gefell, you can check here.

http://www.musicians-gear.com

It's in Germany and although I've never used them, they seem to have pretty good prices.

R.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
WARNING! Beware of Musicians-Gear .com. I bought a Fender Strat a couple of weeks ago and there has been nothing but hassle. They are even slow at answering emails.madd

DW
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah, I'm still a little weary of buying things over the net.

I know that lot's of people do and it's a great way of checking prices etc. but I've still yet to actually purchase anything gear-wise over the net (excluding flights and hotels).

R.
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Beware of musicians - gear,
I never heard good things about those guys in Stuttgart.

If you are interessted in Gefell mics, please contact me.
I can look around in Germany, or even ask them at the frankfurt pro light and sound next week.
BTW : anybody going there ???

The people at Gefell are really friendly and have great customer support, even for their older mics ( unlike Neumann !!! )
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Beech
WARNING! Beware of Musicians-Gear .com. I bought a Fender Strat a couple of weeks ago and there has been nothing but hassle. They are even slow at answering emails.madd

DW
What were you thinking buying a new strat over the net, Beech?

I think buying equipment is less risky than instruments over the net. I tend to use Musicians-Gear .com to get a price and then go and hassle dealers I know to match the price. They usually say "have you been surfing!!" too at some of the prices.yuktyy
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Messiah, what I was doing buying a guitar on the net is my business. All I was trying to do in this thread was show how unreliable Musicians-gear.com can be. I believe I am not the first to find this out.
Thanks for the lecture.

DW
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No problem.

dfegad
Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So it's goodbye Solidtube, hello...
Well, it looks like three mics have been given the thumbs up in this thread.

1. GT67
2. Studio Projects C3
3. Microtech Gefell

Would anyone care to step up and pick one that might be a good choice condenser for vocals and acoustic instruments?

DW
πŸ“ Reply