Quantcast
OPINIONS needed: AKG SolidTube - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OPINIONS needed: AKG SolidTube
Old 28th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Not sure how much you have to spend (I forgot to check in the earlier part of the thread), but if you are looking at spending no more that $700-$800 then the C3 is a good choice because you can pick on up for $349.

The Gefell's start around $1,000.

Not sure about the other one.
Old 1st March 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
The C3 is probably going down to around $300 (US) street price in
about 6 weeks per Alan Hyatt, and the TB-1 (tube) to around
$250.
I just picked up a Studio Projects B1 that I'd swear was similar to an AKG 414 set to cardiod, minus the AKG's bright top end.
Cost just under a whopping $90!

My previous Studio Projects microphone was the C1 which has a thicker sound, however, in my home enivironment, picked up some
background noise. Thought it sounded excellent.
It was replaced by the Beyer M88TG, still miss the C1 though
in its own, more detailed, way.
I just have used these on vocals, no acoustic instruments BTW.

Chris
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No, price is not an issue. I would rather have a good mic and have to pay a little more. I've bought cheap mics over the years but more often then not, they just end up gathering dust. For example, the CAD 300 and AKG Solidtube are two I can think of. No, I want a mic that will a/b favorably with a U87 on vocals. That's a good starting point.
I noticed the comments by Dave Martin I think re the GT67. It's a pity you did not get a chance to a/b it with your U67. But the GT must have been pretty good to even consider such comparisons.
I really wish I lived near a dealer who stocked some of these products so I could try before buying.

DW
Old 1st March 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Beech

I noticed the comments by Dave Martin I think re the GT67. It's a pity you did not get a chance to a/b it with your U67.

That's because I don't own a U67; it happens that there's one here right now (until Bob Olhsson takes it back), but unfortunately, the GT67 is gone...
Old 1st March 2003
Meg Lee Chin
Telefunken Smooth Plate 12ax7?

Hey Mark,

Is there anything I should look out for in buying the Telefunken Smooth Plate 12ax7 ? They seem to have some pretty good 2nd hand deals on Ebay. Also is there some particular procedure for removing the screen to get to the foam? Does it just unscrew? yuktyy
Old 1st March 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
That's because I don't own a U67; it happens that there's one here right now (until Bob Olhsson takes it back), but unfortunately, the GT67 is gone...
Dave

I have a M62, which is as far as I know the same as the 67 but from the time when it was made for Alesis. You are welcome to have it for your tests, since I'm mixing right now and won't need any mics (except for "Fritz") for a while. Might be a reason to meet for lunch heh
Let me know.
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What about the GT66

Since there's all this talk of GT mics I've noticed that Guitar Center has the GT66 on sale for $499 (as well as the NTK). Any thoughts on this mic?

Is this a deal at all?
Old 1st March 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Dave

I have a M62, which is as far as I know the same as the 67 but from the time when it was made for Alesis. You are welcome to have it for your tests, since I'm mixing right now and won't need any mics (except for "Fritz") for a while. Might be a reason to meet for lunch heh
Let me know.
Micahel, it would be interesting to listen to your M62 and the U67 at the same time; I'm going to be cutting vocals and acoustic instruments next week; if you have some time in the middle of the week, let me know; I'll take you to the barbecue place we've talked about and play with some mics...
Old 1st March 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Trust me, Studio projects makes GOOD stuff.
Tina Turner is using the C1 and she could use anything
she felt like.
Joe Chicarelli, among other engineers, thinks highly of them.

Since price isn't an issue, may be you might want to wait
a bit and also check out the upcoming microphone from
them that Stephen Paul designed.
It's supposed to be under $2000 (US), not sure how
much lower it'll be. I'd be surprised if it didn't sound
awesome.

We don't seem to hold the fact that an RNC compressor
costs under $200 against it!

Chris
Old 1st March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Re: Telefunken Smooth Plate 12ax7?

Quote:
Originally posted by Meg Lee Chin
Hey Mark,

Is there anything I should look out for in buying the Telefunken Smooth Plate 12ax7 ? They seem to have some pretty good 2nd hand deals on Ebay. Also is there some particular procedure for removing the screen to get to the foam? Does it just unscrew? yuktyy
Hi Meg

Well, I supose you'd want to buy a good one as opposed to one that's used up. Sometimes the seller posts that they have been tested along with the test values. This along with finder a seller with a good track record should help. You could also buy a few of them and try them all to see which ones sound best. The Telefunkens seem to last a long time if that's any consilation.

The foam part IIRC was just some black open cell type foam inside the windscreen. It didn't take very much effort to pull it out, maybe had a dab of glue holding it there but I can't remember exactly. You need to open up the mic by removing the self tapping screws at the bottom of the microphone. Be careful with those when you put them back in, it's pretty easy to strip the original socket which makes them really hard to get back in there. I think after you remove the screws everything just slides off and you'll gain access to the part where the capsule is. It's pretty much the same procedure as changing the tube.

I think I ended up putting a Tele 12AT7 in there instead of a 12AX7 as originally used. Slightly lower gain overall from the microphone as opposed to the 12AX7 but the mic sounds a lot better than stock.

I use the Solidtube as a front of kick microphone mostly with the -20db pad engaged. I should pull it out of there and try it on some other stuff, just lazy I guess.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i just pulled the foam screen off of my solid tube... The procedure was pretty simple..... the lower half of the body comes off, which exposes the tube and the circuit board. To get the grill off, you have to twist it clockwise and pull up. My foam cloth was just placed in there, very easy to take off.

I'll prolly try it tomorrow to see if it made much improvement.

There is alot of room in the body of the mic, so you could probably change to larger value caps to get another increase in sound quality.

Marsh
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hot rod your SolidTube

For any of you slutz out there that actually own a SolidTube, there is still hope, lots of it. Ya takes yer mic and you send it to Stephen Paul Audio, and they make it into a real microphone.

Basically, they replace the molded low price capsule with a real rebuilt AKG CK12 capsule, as well as upgrading the wiring and parts of the electronics. You essentially end up with an AKG C12 microphone for way less than the cost of a C12. And with the SPA capsule mods, it's actually BETTER than a stock but mint C12, IMHO.

SPA modded mics totally rock!

wurly
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
GT67

I have no idea about the US -retail list but in the Uk , it is SUPPOSED to Be Β£749 UKP.

That would be In the $900 - $1300 range I'd have thought...

But.... Assuming there to be the usual disparity between what we pay in the UK and US dollar prices.....

It may be considerably Less.......

All the range of GT mics have their strengths and weaknesses, But i wouldnt describe any of the one's I have heard (I own a 55, 57 and 67) as Crap...

Best regards
Max
Old 29th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the solidtube sounds awesome - you should def get it.
Old 29th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by who? ➑️
the solidtube sounds awesome - you should def get it.
this could be a new record !!!!! .. a reply to a thread that is just about 15 years old ... love it ..

πŸ“ Reply