The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is a 6' high control room workable !!
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is a 6' high control room workable !!

Hi all,

I want to move my small control room in my house to the basement. The problem is that the basement is only 6 feet high !!! Ouch, i know that is pretty low ceiling but i'm REALLY scare to start digging ( this option could cost me an arm and a leg ).
Anyone here have good experience with a control room with such a low ceiling ( besides the comfy factor ). Thak you all.
BTW, i'm located in Montreal, Canada.
Old 24th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What are the other room dimensions? I guess you could make it work if you had to. I'd hate it because I'm 6 feet tall. It would suck to have to turn my head sideways just to walk over to a rack.
Old 24th February 2003
SawSlut

🎧 15 years
Yes, it's possible, I did it for FOUR YEARS! (That's a LOT of goose eggs on mine & my clients skulls, but I did pull it off.)

You want to go HERE:http://www.homer.com.au/jls/
and HERE: http://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdi...php?forumid=20

There you will find some help in constructing your new studio.

-0z-
Old 24th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i couldnt even stand up.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i couldnt even stand up.
... Never mind an erection!!! heh
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the reply,

My live room is only 10x13 with a 71/2 foot ceiling. I know that is also not ideal BUT i've been getting GREAT results...and my actual control room is 10x10 with a 12' ceiling but i really like to move it to the basement as i need more space. I already contacted a few company specializing in Studio contruction and, of course, if i want to do it proprerly, i will need to dig and we're talking minimum 25K for a 12x18x9' high.
I'm very scare to dig because you never know what's below because this is a vey old duplex. So i thought i just use the basement as is and live with the 6' ceiling.
Old 24th February 2003
SawSlut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i couldnt even stand up.

Funny, I thought you smoke so much pot that 'standing up' is a physical impossibility for you
Old 24th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Re: Is a 6' high control room workable !!

V,

> The problem is that the basement is only 6 feet high <

In general, the larger a room is the better it will be acoustically. But you can make a room that small workable if you add enough bass traps and other acoustic treatment.

--Ethan
Old 26th February 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
6 feet under!!! It will be your smallest dimension which you won't be able to treat in any way, anyway, if you don't make it larger (floating etc...). Do you have the opportunity to make an extension? It certainly wouldn't cost 25G to put up a nice one. You could use the basement for live chambers and guitar and bass amp doghouses!!!
Old 26th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by OzNimbus
Funny, I thought you smoke so much pot that 'standing up' is a physical impossibility for you
i rarely smoke anymore. although i have had nights drinking where standing up can be a challenge.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…