Drum Submix ...what's wrong? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Submix ...what's wrong?
Old 24th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Drum Submix ...what's wrong?

Hi, first post here.

I have a 24 ch Soundcraft Ghost. I want to submix four toms to a stereo track, panned to taste. I'm kind of a newbie to recording so I don't know how to do this yet. I have been using the direct outs but I'm sick of having 4 separate tracks in PT and then submixing them to stereo. How do I submix them on the way in?

I tried bussing them to the group outs, like 1-2, and then patching group outs 1-2 to my PT inputs but that doesn't sound right. The toms on one side are too soft even though I got levels on them before bussing. I'm confused and frustrated cus I thought this was how it's done.

Please help!

--------------------
Cheech 'n Tap Studios
up in smoke
Old 24th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Sounds like you have the basic idea down. What's the gain structure like? Maybe something is wrong in the wiring if you don't have enough gain on one side.
Old 24th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
All the channel faders for the toms are at 0 and so are the group 1-2 faders. The preamps are set to where tom hits have enough headroom so they don't clip in Pro Tools, averaging around -5 dBFS. I didn't change the wiring recently and the problem doesn't happen with outboard preamps. Any ideas?
Old 24th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you try bussing to and patching a different set of group outputs to PT? Try 3-4 or 5-6. That will help eliminate possible problems. If nothing changes, go to the start of the chain and work your way down, monitoring the results as you go along. Right now I suspect something is wrong with one of the 1/2 group outs or the cables going from them to your PT inputs. You might just have a bad cable on one side.
Old 26th February 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
Is that the Banana Bunch in your Avatar?
Phase issues in your mic.ing technique are made evident when mixing to stereo?
***Does it sound different from "live ghost" to recorded PT, or just different bussed or not bussed (ghost)?
PT sums to panned differently than your ghost? Mix in input PT before you commit.
It's important to remember that every connention you make is another filter, so a buss, an eq, a compressor, not withstanding their obvious effect, also brings another length of wire, another buffer etc... that dramatically changes the sound of the signal which is being passed through.
Whatever it is, make it happen.
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This could be simply an issue of levels. Lower toms will get more lost in a busy mix than the higher ones. Simple example take a triangle in an orchestra. Not a loud instrument, but it will cut through a whole orchestra at full tilt!

Although your meters are reading the same, that doesn't mean that they are balanced, bass energy will meter higher than mid or high energy. This is the same reason that on a dance mix the meters tend to pulse with the bass and drums.

Regards

Roland
πŸ“ Reply